This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

MattMcI

MattMcI Newbie

Just started lifting weights to try and attack some fat I put on after going gluten-free 6 months ago, and it feels great! No longer am I dying everytime I have to lift something or hit the tread-mill. Just wanted to share a positive experience here, and maybe listen to any workout tips from the in-shape Celiacs.

Thanks,

Life is Good

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

So glad to hear it! It is good for the newbies amonst us to hear it too. I remember how hopeless I felt at the beginning, and hearing of other folks progress made me realize that I TOO could get better.

I'm NOT an "in shape" celiac so I've got no tips to share. (I've NEVER been what you'd call in shape. Not overweight or anything, but I have asthma that gets bad when I exercise so I never have. Even as a kid, I couldn't run with the other kids because I'd get wheezed up. Spent a lot of time with books and my guitar though so I've got no complaints. :) )

• 3 weeks later...
moosemalibu Collaborator

It's great to hear that you are getting your energy back Matt! Before diagnosis last month I worked out religiously 4-5x/week for 2 hours. I would lift weights and do 20 minutes of high intensity interval cardio. Now that I am gluten-free I have been super lethargic so I cut out the cardio and only lift weights. I tried adding in cardio last week again and it totally drained me. I cannot wait til my symptoms are gone and I have energy again!

• 1 month later...
MattMcI Newbie

Malibu,

Any improvement? It took a few months for me to get back into it.

moosemalibu Collaborator

Malibu,

Any improvement? It took a few months for me to get back into it.

I am back in the gym as of the last week of October. I have been managing 5 one hour sessions a week at the gym. I do 2 leg days and 2 push/pull days with 1 cardio HIIT day with abs thrown in. I have lost a  lot of my strength though. I am lifting about 1/3 the weight I used to. I get fatigued easier and my rest times are 3x as long. I walk my dog for 45 minutes a day so that is my cardio for the most part..

KCG91 Enthusiast

It's great to hear that you are getting your energy back Matt! Before diagnosis last month I worked out religiously 4-5x/week for 2 hours. I would lift weights and do 20 minutes of high intensity interval cardio. Now that I am gluten-free I have been super lethargic so I cut out the cardio and only lift weights. I tried adding in cardio last week again and it totally drained me. I cannot wait til my symptoms are gone and I have energy again!

Similar things here - I felt lethargic but able to continue with strength stuff (as well as lifting and conditioning I do aerial acrobatics) but I still feel weaker doing cardio than I did previously. I think partly mine is psychological - my symptoms only became really noticeable when I trained for a marathon. I'm now a month into three months 'resting' before ramping up training for another race - just trying to exercise gently 5x a week without focusing too much on what exercise it is, so long as there's some variation :) Hopefully this will keep my strength/fitness up while letting my body recover. Good luck guys!

cyclinglady Grand Master

Sounds like you guys are all getting back to good health!  Just remember that it takes time to heal.  You'll get there!  Take it from me who's had to sit out when I have:

1. delivered a baby via c-section
  2. had gallbladder surgery
  3. fractured a vertebrae

It took time but the end result was that I went right back to my "game".  It will come back!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

moosemalibu Collaborator

Sounds like you guys are all getting back to good health!  Just remember that it takes time to heal.  You'll get there!  Take it from me who's had to sit out when I have:

1. delivered a baby via c-section
  2. had gallbladder surgery
  3. fractured a vertebrae

It took time but the end result was that I went right back to my "game".  It will come back!

I have also had to sit out multiple times. I have fractured my right kneecap twice and have had 3 knee surgeries. So I've definitely had to start from scratch before. I feel like I am way ahead of the game this time around.

cyclinglady Grand Master

It's a great feeling, isn't it?  :)

moosemalibu Collaborator

It's a great feeling, isn't it?  :)

Most definitely. I have some goals I want t hit by the new year. Included is to get my pullup game in line!

Porcelina Contributor

Eat a gluten free banana Jamie. haha ;p  Hope you're feeling better.

moosemalibu Collaborator

Eat a gluten free banana Jamie. haha ;p  Hope you're feeling better.

Haha! I have started a bulk this week and I have a banana post-work out with 1 tbsp of hershey syrup and 6 egg whites! So good! How are you feeling?! I haven't heard a word from you in a bit... 

• 3 weeks later...
eers03 Explorer

Have any of you experienced any bone aching?  My density is slightly below average apparently.  I've always been a runner but decided its time to suck it up and do some liftingto improve my bone strength and take some pressure off of my frame with muscle.  I have some aching that isn't necessarily in my joints, do you all ever experience that?  Non-muscle aching, I mean.  Anyhow, I started a gym membership and did my first workout today.  My next question is this, have you read/heard of people using muscles for a particular activity and the muscle subsequently twitches intermittently for a few days?

Prior to diagnosis, a good workout meant sore muscles.  Now it means soreness and involuntary intermittent twitching.  Is that just fatigue from not being used to using that particular muscle to that extent?

KCG91 Enthusiast

I get 'bone ache' in my forearms if they get cold after a session (I do aerial acrobatics - see pic!) but I have no idea if it's related to bone density. Aerial is incredibly tough on the forearms in particular but I've never had twitching any longer than immediately after the session from it. My trainer explained mid-session twitching as muscle recruiting more muscles. I also run but I don't get it from that. My first thought would be to check your lifting technique and practice, maybe if the gym has a trainer they can help you get into good habits? As always, warming up, stretching and again at the end might help. Maybe even a stretch midway through the session - it helps me with any tightness from running? Just guessing a bit there though :) 

eers03 Explorer

Ok, gotcha.  Running doesn't really effect me that way either.  Upper body/core muscle use does.  I didn't have as much after my session yesterday as I had forecasted.  I have been eating a banana every morning and I wonder if the extra potassium is helping as well.

As for cold weather related aching--it doesn't matter for me if its warm or cold.  I do try to stretch but not as much as I should.

Thanks for responding!

moosemalibu Collaborator

I can imagine that the bone ache feeling is going to go away after you've given your body time to get over the shock of a  new workout routine. The body will adjust and hopefully strength training will improve your bone density. If it doesn't go away then perhaps look into it further. But I get sore. I have fractured my right kneecap 2x and I can get bone pain in that when I do heavy squats or leg presses. I back off when I do and use lower weight with higher reps.

Archived