9 replies to this topic

#1 Pauliewog

Pauliewog

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:23 PM

I live in Japan where there are NO gluten free products. However, an import store has a limited stock of gluten-free Betty Crocker items such as cookie mix, cake mix, and brownie mix. Before I spend the big bucks (or yen), does anyone have any experiences with the BC products? Are they good? Remember, I have nothing else to compare to!

thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:41 PM

I live in Japan where there are NO gluten free products. However, an import store has a limited stock of gluten-free Betty Crocker items such as cookie mix, cake mix, and brownie mix. Before I spend the big bucks (or yen), does anyone have any experiences with the BC products? Are they good? Remember, I have nothing else to compare to!

thanks.

I like them and find them to be quite good :) Of the three, i've used the yellow cake the most. I have yet to try the cookie or the brownie.

#3 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:24 PM

I've tried them all.  I do a lot of baking from scratch, but these mixes are pretty darn good and so convenient while on the road!  I typically add things to them like coffee to the brownie mix or apples/carrots, cinnamon, and raisins to the white mix.  I always make cupcakes and freeze them.  Good for portion control and I always have goodies on hand.  Skip that gross pre-made frosting and make some from scratch.   It will make the Betty Crocker gluten-free products taste much better!

Wow!  You are lucky to have an oven.   Many of my friends in Japan do not.  They must purchase all their baked goods which are very beautiful and very expensive!  

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:37 PM

I've tried them all.  I do a lot of baking from scratch, but these mixes are pretty darn good and so convenient while on the road!  I typically add things to them like coffee to the brownie mix or apples/carrots, cinnamon, and raisins to the white mix.  I always make cupcakes and freeze them.  Good for portion control and I always have goodies on hand.  Skip that gross pre-made frosting and make some from scratch.   It will make the Betty Crocker gluten-free products taste much better!

Wow!  You are lucky to have an oven.   Many of my friends in Japan do not.  They must purchase all their baked goods which are very beautiful and very expensive!  

You can make a really good coffee cake with the yellow cake as well :)

#5 Pauliewog

Pauliewog

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:32 AM

Ok, with many good reviews I will go for it and get some mixes! Yes, I have an oven but it is the size of a microwave! I can bake, just nothing big! I am definitely going to have to try the coffee cake. I used to love coffee cake... Thanks!

#6 kareng

kareng

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,654 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:37 AM

Ok, with many good reviews I will go for it and get some mixes! Yes, I have an oven but it is the size of a microwave! I can bake, just nothing big! I am definitely going to have to try the coffee cake. I used to love coffee cake... Thanks!

Sorry I missed this.  I have found the brownies to b e really yummy and fudgey.  The cookies OK as cookies but great as a crust for something else.  The yellow cake mix is best with other things added.  We love these 2 recipes.  There are more on the website.

http://www.bettycroc...b5-e6e77372e657

http://www.bettycroc...ten free&src=SH

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

Someone told me I was delusional.  I almost fell off my unicorn.

fantasy-unicorn-15.gif

#7 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:44 AM

I do not recommend the mixes. As a scratch cook/baker I tried the cake mix twice for kicks and found them deplorable, even with tweaking. Definitely will not try again. If you are used to baking from scratch, they are not worth it. Have not tried the cookies but have never made them from a mix.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#8 Celtic Queen

Celtic Queen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:41 AM

I liked the yellow cake mix.  I made cupcakes with it. 

I had a reaction to one of the preservatives in the cookie mix, but I remember the chocolate chip cookies tasting pretty good before I broke out in hives :D But really it's almost as easy for me to make the cookies from scratch and then I don't have to worry about the preservatives.

The brownies were pretty good.

Blood tested 8-11 positive, Biopsy 9-11 negative (long story, most gastro drs. are morons)

gluten-free 7-11, Dairy Free (mostly) 8-13 - Everything but butter.  Can't live life without butter....

DS - negative blood test, just diagnosed with ADD and other learning disorders, DNA test positive - high risk

Issues related to gluten: depression, low iron, hair loss, positive ana test for lupus, low vitamin D, headache, sinusitis, environmental allergies, brain fog, GI problems, weight gain....the list goes on....

#9 NateJ

NateJ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:42 AM

I've had reactions to the brownies and cookies. Nothing severe, but upset stomach and cramping. I haven't figured out what it is that did it, but I also had a reaction to the pillsbury frozen cookie dough. So i've been staying away from the prepared mixes.

#10 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:51 PM

I have tried the yellow cake mix, it was pretty good and stayed fresh and moist (iced) at room temp until it was gone at day 4.  I also tried the brownie mix, which was good, but they got a little dry and stale at day 2.  Maybe I cooked them too long.  Id keep them in the fridge.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: