33 replies to this topic

#16 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:09 AM

Funny that you post that link , because if anybody reads it , it says this :All three components contain a plant storage protein known as gluten............ So you should read what what you post. it contains GLUTEN!! Read more: http://www.livestron.../#ixzz2egdQYeFk

I think Stephanie did read it. That's why she posted it. And she said it wasn't safe.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:23 AM

I think Stephanie did read it. That's why she posted it. And she said it wasn't safe.

I am so very sorry, I thought it was candy that posted the link........  

So sorry Stephanie :) I apologize :) 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#18 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:32 AM

I doubt "Candy" will even come back.  :ph34r:

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#19 laura1959

laura1959

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:48 AM

I'm relatively new here, and I have to say that you all should relax about the newbies.  Being new does not equal being stupid or gullible.  

This is an obvious troll.  No one is going to take this seriously unless they remain completely uneducated about gluten in all other respects.  Even if the bran didn't contain gluten itself, the mere fact that it's processed from wheat would make it rife with cross contaminants.  I think even a newbie is smart enough to sort that one out :)  

#20 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:50 AM

I'm relatively new here, and I have to say that you all should relax about the newbies.  Being new does not equal being stupid or gullible.  

This is an obvious troll.  No one is going to take this seriously unless they remain completely uneducated about gluten in all other respects.  Even if the bran didn't contain gluten itself, the mere fact that it's processed from wheat would make it rife with cross contaminants.  I think even a newbie is smart enough to sort that one out :)

I'm glad you know how to use your brain!  :)

I used to think this,  too.  Unfortunately,  I can't count the number of people who read the first post "Wheat bran is gluten-free ..." and never go any further down the thread.  Then they mention that they read it somewhere and its OK.  Someone calling herself a home ec expert started giving medical advice and its wrong and all over the internet and is constantly being brought up here as fact.  :wacko:

santa-dance.gif

#21 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:11 AM

Agree, wheat bran should not be eaten by celiacs.  There are other forms of fiber that are safe and not expensive.  Like psyillium husks, citrus fiber, celery and many other veggies.  Candy, there is no need to risk your health by eating wheat bran when there are plenty of alternative fiber sources available.  Fiber does help many people's digestion, and can be a useful thing in the diet.  But stick to the safer forms of fiber that don't have gluten in them.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#22 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:14 PM

I'm glad you know how to use your brain!  :)

I used to think this,  too.  Unfortunately,  I can't count the number of people who read the first post "Wheat bran is gluten-free ..." and never go any further down the thread.  Then they mention that they read it somewhere and its OK.  Someone calling herself a home ec expert started giving medical advice and its wrong and all over the internet and is constantly being brought up here as fact.  :wacko:

I would of believed it! I had nooooo clue what I was doing.  I am still finding things that have gluten. 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#23 laura1959

laura1959

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:18 PM

Okay, I take it back :)  I wouldn't have believed it, but it is true there is lots of misinformation out there!  

#24 Bear with me!

Bear with me!

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:34 PM

Okay, I take it back :)  I wouldn't have believed it, but it is true there is lots of misinformation out there!

Sometimes it is almost unbearable. :blink:

Beware of "I heard," "I saw," or "I read." To me, they are worth as much as "I imagined."

Bear

#25 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:47 PM

Sadly the worst........ "The doctor said so."

Michigan

#26 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:36 PM

I know!! I am one that was posting "stuff" because I read it on the "internet" And by gosh you know!! If it is on the net it is true LOL .. Well not funny when it comes to this stuff .. Right? And yes mommida Sadly "The Dr. Said so" can be the Worst!! :( but not always :) 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#27 StephanieL

StephanieL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:16 AM

It's all good :)

#28 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:47 PM

It's all good :)

Aweeee thanks!  I do my best editing after I hit Post. Even thos I didn't catch that one ... LOL 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#29 Candy

Candy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:06 PM

Looks like you were never diagnosed with Celiac disease?  Just having the genes does not mean you have Celiac.  That might be why you can eat small amounts of wheat  and get away with it.

Even if the bran didn't have the protein Celiacs react to in it, the processing would certainly leave some. 

I totally understand avoiding wheat as a deadly, brain shrinking,gut ripping substance for us pure intolerants. But I don't think wheat bran is "wheat". It doesn't taste like bread or anything else for that matter. It tastes like sawdust, albeit sweet ,sawdust-probably why most people avoid it.It's the outer dry skin on the wheat-I'm in love with it myself.Wheat bran has some of the B-vitamins Celiacs are lacking(like Thiamine,Riboflavin and Niacin),plus potassium ,protein and iron and the fiber we all need,but with no pain in the gut,at least for me.I'm in love with my new friend wheat bran..... I only eat a few tablespoons a week.I'll have Mom send you all funeral notices if it kills me,ha ha. 

I have DNA ancestry in NW.EUROPE,where CELIAC'S known to be common.

DEC. '05 TESTED POSITIVE for the Celiac GENES HLA-DQ2 , and DQ3 SUBTYPE DQ8
Celiac Negative Endoscopy-Aug.'08 - Diagnosed with Hernia and GERD(Gastric Esophageal Reflux Disease),and prescribed Acid Reducing Medication. I hadn't eaten WHEAT for a year prior to the Endoscopy-maybe that's why result was Negative. I need TTG test to determine Active Celiac Status/

Disgnosed with Sjogren's 9/19/2008- Internist referred me to Eye Doctor and Rheumatologist.

#30 Candy

Candy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:16 PM

I've mixed wheat bran into my cereal and it gave me no "wheat" pain   ,and make me feel fuller longer.

I don't think it has wheat protein,since it's just the outer husk of the wheat and is not absorbed by the intestine.  I think wheat bran is a celiac's best friend  !  What do you think.

For that matter ,you can't make a loaf of bread with wheat bran,you know why? Because the bran has no stretchy ,puffy gluten ,like real wheat has.You can't knead bran,or make it rise..it doesn't puff up and you can't roll it , pull it and shape it into bread.It's just flat and dry like autumn leaves.So if you can't make a puffy loaf of wheat bread out of bran,then bran must not be glutinous like wheat is,therefore I shall eat some wheat bran weekly.

I have DNA ancestry in NW.EUROPE,where CELIAC'S known to be common.

DEC. '05 TESTED POSITIVE for the Celiac GENES HLA-DQ2 , and DQ3 SUBTYPE DQ8
Celiac Negative Endoscopy-Aug.'08 - Diagnosed with Hernia and GERD(Gastric Esophageal Reflux Disease),and prescribed Acid Reducing Medication. I hadn't eaten WHEAT for a year prior to the Endoscopy-maybe that's why result was Negative. I need TTG test to determine Active Celiac Status/

Disgnosed with Sjogren's 9/19/2008- Internist referred me to Eye Doctor and Rheumatologist.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: