This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Wheat Bran - Try It - It's Great!

Candy

w8in4dave Community Regular

I know!! I am one that was posting "stuff" because I read it on the "internet" And by gosh you know!! If it is on the net it is true LOL .. Well not funny when it comes to this stuff .. Right? And yes mommida Sadly "The Dr. Said so" can be the Worst!! :( but not always :) 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

StephanieL Enthusiast

I am so very sorry, I thought it was candy that posted the link........  

So sorry Stephanie :) I apologize :)

It's all good :)

It's all good :)

Aweeee thanks!  I do my best editing after I hit Post. Even thos I didn't catch that one ... LOL 

Candy Contributor

Looks like you were never diagnosed with Celiac disease?  Just having the genes does not mean you have Celiac.  That might be why you can eat small amounts of wheat  and get away with it.

Even if the bran didn't have the protein Celiacs react to in it, the processing would certainly leave some. 

I totally understand avoiding wheat as a deadly, brain shrinking,gut ripping substance for us pure intolerants. But I don't think wheat bran is "wheat". It doesn't taste like bread or anything else for that matter. It tastes like sawdust, albeit sweet ,sawdust-probably why most people avoid it.It's the outer dry skin on the wheat-I'm in love with it myself.Wheat bran has some of the B-vitamins Celiacs are lacking(like Thiamine,Riboflavin and Niacin),plus potassium ,protein and iron and the fiber we all need,but with no pain in the gut,at least for me.I'm in love with my new friend wheat bran..... I only eat a few tablespoons a week.I'll have Mom send you all funeral notices if it kills me,ha ha. 

Candy Contributor

I've mixed wheat bran into my cereal and it gave me no "wheat" pain   ,and make me feel fuller longer.

I don't think it has wheat protein,since it's just the outer husk of the wheat and is not absorbed by the intestine.  I think wheat bran is a celiac's best friend  !  What do you think.

For that matter ,you can't make a loaf of bread with wheat bran,you know why? Because the bran has no stretchy ,puffy gluten ,like real wheat has.You can't knead bran,or make it rise..it doesn't puff up and you can't roll it , pull it and shape it into bread.It's just flat and dry like autumn leaves.So if you can't make a puffy loaf of wheat bread out of bran,then bran must not be glutinous like wheat is,therefore I shall eat some wheat bran weekly.

kareng Grand Master

For that matter ,you can't make a loaf of bread with wheat bran,you know why? Because the bran has no stretchy ,puffy gluten ,like real wheat has.You can't knead bran,or make it rise..it doesn't puff up and you can't roll it , pull it and shape it into bread.It's just flat and dry like autumn leaves.So if you can't make a puffy loaf of wheat bread out of bran,then bran must not be glutinous like wheat is,therefore I shall eat some wheat bran weekly.

For people like you, who do not have Celiac disease, its fine. Eat all the wheat parts you like. However, this is a website for people with Celiac disease - Celiac dot com. You can't expect us to get behind people eating wheat bran because 1 poster thinks its OK, even with some reputable links saying it contains gluten. As was explained, the processing likely leaves some accidental gluten in it.

If you are going to assert that it has no gluten, we need more proof than a non- Celiac can eat it.

Just because you cannot make a loaf of bread with it doesn't mean it does not have Gluten in it. Add some yeast to it I am sure you could make bread with it. Have you ever heard of Bran Muffins? Won't see me eating it. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Celtic Queen Explorer

Candy, if you want to put your health at risk by eating wheat bran, that's your perogative.  If you aren't Celiac or gluten intolerant, it won't cause you any problems.  But if you are, it will do some damage to your system eventually. 

Personally I can find other ways to get fiber and B vitamins without the risk of cross contamination. 

As Kareng mentioned, this is a board for Celiacs and gluten intolerants, so you're not going to get a warm welcome here for suggesting that we eat wheat in any way, shape or form.

Scott Adams Grand Master

Candy was banned for trolling--obviously there is no certified gluten-free wheat bran, and it is dangerous and irresponsible to promote it here to celiacs.

Archived