#1 JosieToo

JosieToo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:38 AM

Hi all,

I've recently been diagnosed with Celiac and am basically a sponge for knowledge at the moment! Sorry for yet another question!

I keep reading about other food intolerances and allergies in people with Celiac disease. Are these issues that were present before Celiac or because of Celiac? In other words, is there a higher likelihood of developing some new, additional issues with food that I've never had before?

Also, how do you know if you have a food intolerance or allergy? I know I'm allergic to shellfish because I have had reactions in the past and had a test at the allergist. But how would I know what to get a test for, if I don't have any reactions to other foods?

If there is a higher likelihood of other food issues with Celiac, is there anything I can do to prevent them or reduce my chances of developing these issues?

My Celiac seems to be largely "silent" aside from acid reflux controlled by medication - so I really don't know when I'm having a reaction.

Help! Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:47 AM

An allergy is more along the lines of hives/swelling and the like. An intolerance can sometimes cause stomach issues, joint pain, headaches, and so on.

There really isn't anything you can do to prevent them. For example, i am intolerant to sweet potatoes and onions. I am allergic to tomatoes and possibly green beans.

#3 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:22 AM

The things we are MOST likely to be intolerant to are soy, oats (even gluten-free oats), corn, and nightshades. Some of us also have trouble with eggs and nuts.

I don't know if avoiding these things while you are healing might prevent problems or not, but you could be our guinea pig! :lol: (sorry).

I discovered my corn intolerance quite soon after going gluten-free when I made a big batch of gluten-free cornbread. I have often wondered, if I hadn't done that would the intolerance never have reared its ugly head? I don't know.

The thing is, there is no reliable testing available for intolerances. The only way to really tell is to keep a food and symptom diary. If you are already eating all of these things without symptoms, I wouldn't worry about it. LOTS of celiacs never develop other intolerances. But if you DO find yourself having symptoms of something being wrong, you could drop all of these foods until you feel better, then add back one a week until you find the one that's hurting you.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#4 Salax

Salax

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:37 AM

The things we are MOST likely to be intolerant to are soy, oats (even gluten-free oats), corn, and nightshades. Some of us also have trouble with eggs and nuts.

I don't know if avoiding these things while you are healing might prevent problems or not, but you could be our guinea pig! :lol: (sorry).

I discovered my corn intolerance quite soon after going gluten-free when I made a big batch of gluten-free cornbread. I have often wondered, if I hadn't done that would the intolerance never have reared its ugly head? I don't know.

The thing is, there is no reliable testing available for intolerances. The only way to really tell is to keep a food and symptom diary. If you are already eating all of these things without symptoms, I wouldn't worry about it. LOTS of celiacs never develop other intolerances. But if you DO find yourself having symptoms of something being wrong, you could drop all of these foods until you feel better, then add back one a week until you find the one that's hurting you.

And to add to this dairy.....evil dairy....lol :P

Salax
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Celiac Disease - Gluten Free since Feb 2009,
Cow Milk &  Corn free - June 2012,
Gall Bladder Failure - Removed July 2009,
Colitis, Hashimotos Disease, & Diverticulitis

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
( )_( )
(='.'=)
(")_(") Eat your vegetables!

#5 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:39 AM

I knew I was forgetting something. :huh:

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#6 Salax

Salax

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:27 PM

Shoot, I do that all the time :D (so many intolerances, so little time...and memory to remember all of them..lol)

I knew I was forgetting something. :huh:

Salax
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Celiac Disease - Gluten Free since Feb 2009,
Cow Milk &  Corn free - June 2012,
Gall Bladder Failure - Removed July 2009,
Colitis, Hashimotos Disease, & Diverticulitis

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
( )_( )
(='.'=)
(")_(") Eat your vegetables!

#7 fergusminto

fergusminto

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:01 PM

I have been questioning celiac disease treatment for some time as I was diagnosed with an antibody count of over 800. I think 10 is supposed to be high? Maybe someone can confirm that.

Since going onto the prescribed treatment of 100% gluten-free I have encountered a multitude of food intolerences - oats, all dairy, eggs, soya, pears, grapes etc. I have to ask why? I do not believe in coincidences of this magnitude but I cannot find any evidence of any research into celiac disease "treatment" - only a plethora of celiac disease "Diagnosis" research projects.

I am interested in hearing from any celiac disease sufferer if they have encoutered similar intolerences.

Coeliac. Diagnosed 2008.

Now intolerant to oats, dairy, eggs, soya, pears, ginger, kidney beans

#8 stef_the_kicking_cuty

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Stef and Luke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:32 PM

I went glutenfree in 2004 and about two years ago I started to get kidney pain every once in a while. Just last month during the course of an important audition I frantically tried to get rid of the bags under my eyes with make up, which didn't work. I suck at makeup. So I came to conclusion, that it must be some kind of allergy. I went entirely dairy free about a month ago and today I drank a hot cocoa and ate a Nutella bread, and wouldn't you think... brain fog, extreme fatigue, and kidney pain a few minutes after eating it. :(
Stef

Next goals:
Results for 2011:
1x PA State Champ (I defended my title in pointfighting) and also again Grand Champion in pointfighting
August 20-27: Karate and Kickboxing World Championships in Germany (my homecountry)
gluten-free since 07/21/2004
Shermans Dale, PA

#9 stef_the_kicking_cuty

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Stef and Luke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:35 PM

Oh, and another symptom I forgot about until it hit me right now. It's not really asthma, but more like a "one-single-lung-cramp-every-20-minutes-or-so"-thing. It's really annoying.
Stef

Next goals:
Results for 2011:
1x PA State Champ (I defended my title in pointfighting) and also again Grand Champion in pointfighting
August 20-27: Karate and Kickboxing World Championships in Germany (my homecountry)
gluten-free since 07/21/2004
Shermans Dale, PA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: