Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Things To Look Out For

13 posts in this topic

"Bakers Joy"       Last night I was cooking and I was spraying the cookie sheet as usual and then I ... STOPPED  .... Think !! What is in this stuff?

Soybean oil , ughhhh --> Propellent (sobutane and or propane) <--are you kidding me? Hydroxylated soy lecithin , soy lectihin, enriched four (Wheat flour, nacin , iron Thamaine ... ok I can barely see these ingredients need I say more? 

Really?? And or propane?? I fed this to my grandchildren??!!! Not only does it have Gluten in it! It is horrible!! 

Is there any other things in your house you never thought of that has hidden gluten or horrid things??? Please share! I am so interested in knowing!!

Ads by Google:

Hi W8in4dave.  I've seen some of your posts and I assume your relatively new to gluten free life.  If you haven't done so already, read the label on every food item in your home and avoid these surprises in the future.  Go thru toiletries for gluten products that come in contact with your mouth.  Check all prescription and OTC meds for gluten ingredients. 

Hopefully your adjustment goes smoothly from here.

All the best. 

Colleen 

TY and Yes I am very new to Gluten Free!! Every time I assume I am being so wonderful at it.... I get something like this!! Boom!! Smack in the face!! Lol Ohhh ok Bathroom products! Ok Tooth Paste and Mouth Wash ughhh I have not looked at mine ......... TY for that :) :( I assume I am being glutened from that!! 

Takes time and diligence to completely remove gluten from your home.  Another thing you should get used to doing is carrying an assortment of snack food with you when you leave the house.  I keep a pack permanently in my car.  It has nuts, raisins, Lara bars and water.  I never want to be in a situation where I need something to eat and don't have a safe resource.

Gluten is sneaky!

Colleen 

Thanks!! Thats a great tip also. I did buy a bag of chips yesterday. I usually never eat that stuff. They were pretty good. Of course full of salt! Because Lundberg Rice Chips With Sea Salt lol... but truly only a couple times a year do I ever eat that kind of stuff.

You can buy bottle to use as cooking oil spray. You just add some olive oil and the nozzle sprays it on just like cooking spray.  I'm not describing it very well, but hopefully you can understand what I mean.  I'm not sure where we got ours - maybe Bed, Bath & Beyond or Williams Sonoma.  It doesn't spray as evenly as the commercial ones and the nozzle gets clogged sometimes, but for the most part it works.  I also use the generic olive oil cooking spray from my grocery store and it's gluten free.

I understand about the pain of checking labels.  I was grabbing some frozen broccoli out one night, shortly after being diagnosed, and was about to throw it in the pan.  I thought surely frozen broccoli would be safe.  It was a good thing I decided to check anyway.  There was flour in the broccoli.  Seriously?  Who puts flour in plain frozen broccoli?  And why?  I was just glad I caught it before I ate it.

Hi Waitin,

Gluten is used in a large number of products, even non-food items.  It is nice and sticky so it helps hold things together.  So it is used in many products besides food.  Some glues, wall paper paste, play dough, possible drywall spackle, other stuff.  If u'r gonna eat it read it.  Why eat something if you don't know whats in it?  For celiacs that's a recipe for problems.  We need to learn new habits to stay gluten-free.  Like reading every label, every time.  It might help to get one of those mini magnifiers they sell at drugstores.  Don't assume anything is safe just because you ate it before.  A little food paranoia can be your friend.

@GFlover,

Good to see you back Colleen! :)

The bottles for cooking sprays I got are called Misto. I got a 2 pack at Costco for $20 and would never consider living without them again. They are probably the most used gadget in my kitchen and I love love love them. I don't just use them for spaying pans either since they aren't all full of weird chemicals and stuff like the crap you buy in the store. Since it is just plain oil, I use them for things like a light coating of olive oil on my potato wedges or whatever else I need just a little coat of oil on. I haven't had any problems with them clogging, although I had read online that some people do. I prevent this by making sure it is always pumped fully before every use and cleaning it once a month.

I suppose I always took it for granted that baking sprays (not cooking sprays) have flour in them. I remember being super excited when I first found them on a store shelf when I was a teenager. No more greasing a pan by hand and carefully dusting the entire thing with flour making sure there are no missed areas or places with too much. I was sorely disappointed and never bought the crap again.

Cosco huh? Cool!! I will have to put that on my list!! Thanks for that tip!! 

Frozen vegetables huh? Well lately I havn't been buying vegetables beings it is garden season. But I will look remember to look when I do buy them :) 

Don't forget to use gluten free pet food if you have pets that lick.

Colleen 

What? Pets that lick? I thought ingesting it could only make me sick? My dog won't eat any thing but Kibbles n Bits... 

Pets that lick you...on the face, hands.   Same as having a gluten eater slobbering all over you.  And, yes, you can get glutened from kissing a Glutinator. Not to mention handling all that gluten filled pet food in a gluten free kitchen.  

Like GFinDC said.  Every label every time.  

W8in..small amounts of gluten, hidden gluten, will keep your immune system attacking your body.  This is a common reason some people continue to feel poorly and not heal.  This is why it is also advised by most celiac's that you replace wooden and plastic kitchen items as they absorb foods over time, as well as replacing scratched Teflon.  

* GFinDC. Great to be back and still alive!  Thanks

Colleen 

I don't feed my dog or store his food in the kitchen. He has a lil dish in the back room he eats out of.  He does NOT lick me in the face or hands. It is usually my ankles sometimes when we are outside he will just walk over and lick my ankles I usually stop him right away. Because I don't like dogs to lick. Thanks for all the info. I will keep it all in mind. I usually cook for my dog. He has what ever meat I am having , then he eats a small amount of his dog food. He only eats like a 10lb bag of food a year so he doesn't really eat to much anyway. But Maby I will make it hubbs chore to feed the dog his dog food. 

I feed the cats outside. but they are over by the rabbit kennels , hubbs feeds the rabbits , I will make it his chore to feed the cats.