5 replies to this topic

#1 JosieToo

JosieToo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:37 AM

I can find no credible evidence that confirms or even suggests that the use of wheat-containing cosmetics and related products (shampoo, face creams) can cause a reaction in people with Celiac disease.

The closest I could find was a theoretical risk with lipstick/lip balm - but even that seemed sketchy at best.

I've replaced my lip products as a precaution, but am wondering if anyone can reference any scientific literature about the rest?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,320 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:42 AM

The reason most of us use shampoos and lip products and lotions without obvious gluten ingredients is that we get them in our mouths.  I don't use a shampoo that says gluten-free.  I don't use one that says wheat germ oil.  I don't worry about my mascara because I don't see getting that in my mouth. 

So... I don't buy specifically labeled gluten-free cosmetics, lotions, shampoos unless its just happens to be something I want.  I do make sure that all the products that might get in my mouth - lotions, lipsticks, shampoos - do not contain any gluten ingredients.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#3 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,320 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:44 AM

Your "scientific" reference:

http://www.curecelia...smetic-products

What ingredients should I avoid in cosmetic products?

Gluten is only toxic to celiac patients and patients with dermatitis herpetiformis (DH) if ingested. Because gluten cannot be absorbed through the skin, the use of cosmetic and shampoos containing gluten has not been shown to be detrimental to patients with celiac disease or DH. However, we do recommend gluten-free lip products, hand lotions and other products that may end up near the mouth. And, in the case of children, a gluten-free shampoo would be wise.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#4 JosieToo

JosieToo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:58 AM

Thank you very much!! That is helpful. This newbie appreciates it!

#5 Celtic Queen

Celtic Queen

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:14 AM

I think we don't realize how often we put our hands in our mouths.  Hand lotion is an easy one to get in your mouth.  Put some lotion on your hands and then pick up a piece of food and eat it. 

Blood tested 8-11 positive, Biopsy 9-11 negative (long story, most gastro drs. are morons)

gluten-free 7-11, Dairy Free (mostly) 8-13 - Everything but butter.  Can't live life without butter....

DS - negative blood test, just diagnosed with ADD and other learning disorders, DNA test positive - high risk

Issues related to gluten: depression, low iron, hair loss, positive ana test for lupus, low vitamin D, headache, sinusitis, environmental allergies, brain fog, GI problems, weight gain....the list goes on....

#6 bartfull

bartfull

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:46 PM

The same thing can happen if you scratch your itchy face, then pick up some food and pop it in your mouth. I don't use gluten-free foundation, but I DO wash my hands EVERY TIME before I eat anything.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: