Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Emergency Id Tag

7 posts in this topic

Hello together,

My doc told me today that I should wear a emergency ID tag for celiac disease, to show the emergency

personal my celiac and other health problems. Did you ever hear this ? What are you thinking about that?

Stefanie

Ads by Google:

I thought about this.  I carry a bracelet in my purse.  Others on the forum claimed that in an emergency they wouldn't be feeding you, so they wouldn't need to know.  Do we have any emergency workers out there which can verify that no IV's, no bandages, no on the scene medications would contain gluten?  Did the doctor give any further clarification on why there is a need?

D

I have one because of my diabetes, and it includes celiac disease. But I would not get one just because of celiac disease.

If you aren't able to speak, they aren't going to feed you. No injectable medicine or IV solution contains gluten. Bandages and the like are not a concern.

But you said, "and other health problems," so that may be what caused your doctor to make that recommendation.

Funny that you mention this.  I actually picked up a brochure for ordering one.

I would not have one for Celiac. My child with Celiac does have one but he has multiple life threatening allergies. 

I don't wear one for celiac disease, but I wear a RoadID bracelet when I walk, run or ride my bike.   Just in case....at least my family can be contacted if I'm unconscious.  

I wear one for my Sjogren's. Mostly so that they know the meds I'm on. Since I got it almost a year ago I've been diagnosed with Diabetes and am still in the process of Celiac diagnosis. Once I get that squared away I will be ordering another one that will include Celiac. 

I think even if I only had Celiac I'd still have one. But I'm a worse case scenario/be prepared for anything kind of person.