Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Is It Common That Foods Without Gluten Still Make You Sick?

diarrhea gluten celiac

• Please log in to reply

12 replies to this topic

#1 CeliacCourtney

CeliacCourtney

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:08 PM

I was diagnosed with Celiac disease this past March and have been almost strictly gluten-free since (with about 2 binges). I have not eaten gluten in a while, but this past weekend, I drank alcohol (gluten-free/vodka/rum) and zucchini (unpeeled). My best friend has Crohn's disease and has a hard time with unpeeled vegetables. Could people with celiac disease have problems similar to Chron's? Are there other foods that could make a person with celiac disease ill? I have had intense diarrhea for the past two days since drinking and eating. I cannot keep any food on my stomach.

Should I avoid unpeeled foods? Alcohol? Or is it just my stomach heeling?

Also, if there are any suggestions on foods that I probably could keep in my system, that would be GREAT.

Thank you! :D

Courtney

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:32 PM

Sure, if your intestines are still in a constant state of inflammation from frequent glutenings or require a longer healing time (e.g. one year).    Some veggies are just too hard to digest.  Best to cook them.   You may have developed a food intolerance.   But, I suspect it was the alcohol.  I've been gluten-free since March and I still can't tolerate alcohol very well. 

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 CeliacCourtney

CeliacCourtney

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:48 PM

Sure, if your intestines are still in a constant state of inflammation from frequent glutenings or require a longer healing time (e.g. one year).    Some veggies are just too hard to digest.  Best to cook them.   You may have developed a food intolerance.   But, I suspect it was the alcohol.  I've been gluten-free since March and I still can't tolerate alcohol very well. 

Thank you so much! See, I recently had an endoscopy that said there was no damage to my intestines...Does no damage necessarily relate to being healed? Or could my stomach still be healing?

#4 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:55 PM

yes, ma'am, peels are rough to digest at first - i am just getting peels back now (yay, because they contain lots of good stuff) but i am 3 years gluten free.  you might want to peel and cook your veggies at first, and if you're not taking a probiotic, you might want to.   i have had better luck with digesting vegs with them.  

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

#5 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:11 PM

I doubt the only things you ingested all weekend were Zucchini and the alcohol. If it was....I think that might be the issue! Lol!

Could be something else you ate. Could be something else was cc'd as you might not have paid much attention to how your food was prepared. Could be food poisoning, stomach bug....who knows.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#6 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:31 PM

I personally don't have a problem D wise with unpeeled zucchini or vodka, but not everyone every one is the same.  Good luck.

(I have, by the way had both in the same weekend.)

Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#7 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:43 AM

Thank you so much! See, I recently had an endoscopy that said there was no damage to my intestines...Does no damage necessarily relate to being healed? Or could my stomach still be healing?

Congratulations, that gives me hope!  

Did they do a biopsy?  How bad was your original diagnosis?  I'm not supposed to go back for a year.  Just wondering if that's an insurance thing or my doctor thinks it's going to take that long based experience (and the fact that I"m old :lol:)  I was a Marsh Stage IIIB -- "moderate to severe damage".  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

#8 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:36 AM

I also have a friend that has Chron's disease , thats a tough one!! Before I was DX'd she would say. Are you sure you don't have Chrons? Because after eating we would both be running to the restroom. Chrons is also Is a Auto Immune. We would compare rashes and stuff. Complain about or no energy and lack of physical activity because we both would be so tired all the time. Lucky for me I got a Celiac DX , Hers is not reversible. My friend has had 3 resections to her bowels she has no ellium <- spelling? So she goes and gets B12 shots. 

Celiac you will always have , but you can heal from it. I wouldn't be going on Gluten binges!! Thats for sure. If your intestines are healed Congrats!! I'd stay far far away from Gluten!!. You may just want to lighten up what your drinking? maby don't drink as much of it. Vegetables are roughage so eat them with some protein. 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#9 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:22 AM

I also agree it was likely the alcohol and not the zucchini. Alcohol of any sort can be hard on the stomach if you have more than a couple drinks. I also hope you were eating more than just zucchini. Were you doing the cooking yourself? Could there have been cross-contamination of anything? It could be that you are indeed still healing (just because the biopsy didn't show anything doesn't mean it's completely back to normal, just that it's improving).

In any case, definitely cooked veggies are easier on you than raw. I've never had trouble with peels, but peel them and see if it makes a difference. Celiac and Crohn's Disease do have similar sypmtoms.

An no more gluten binges! (*finger wag*)

Feel better!

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

#10 CeliacCourtney

CeliacCourtney

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:54 PM

Congratulations, that gives me hope!  

Did they do a biopsy?  How bad was your original diagnosis?  I'm not supposed to go back for a year.  Just wondering if that's an insurance thing or my doctor thinks it's going to take that long based experience (and the fact that I"m old :lol:)  I was a Marsh Stage IIIB -- "moderate to severe damage".  

The biopsy came back negative! I'm not very sure how bad my original damage or diagnosis was. I had a blood test originally and all they told me was celiac disease. I had the biopsy done to see if the diagnosis was correct... but I have learned more from trial and error than the biopsy and blood test! But, I have heard that they don't want to risk damaging your stomach even more with an endoscopy if you were recently diagnosed (my gastro didn't follow this).

#11 CeliacCourtney

CeliacCourtney

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:56 PM

I also agree it was likely the alcohol and not the zucchini. Alcohol of any sort can be hard on the stomach if you have more than a couple drinks. I also hope you were eating more than just zucchini. Were you doing the cooking yourself? Could there have been cross-contamination of anything? It could be that you are indeed still healing (just because the biopsy didn't show anything doesn't mean it's completely back to normal, just that it's improving).

In any case, definitely cooked veggies are easier on you than raw. I've never had trouble with peels, but peel them and see if it makes a difference. Celiac and Crohn's Disease do have similar sypmtoms.

An no more gluten binges! (*finger wag*)

Feel better!

I was definitely eating MORE than zucchini! The zucchini I just specified because everything else I ate was definitely gluten-free. I have just heard that vegetables are hard on people with Crohn's, and was wondering if the same could apply to me. Thanks so much! And trust me, I am definitely not inclined to binging anymore!

#12 CeliacCourtney

CeliacCourtney

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:58 PM

I also have a friend that has Chron's disease , thats a tough one!! Before I was DX'd she would say. Are you sure you don't have Chrons? Because after eating we would both be running to the restroom. Chrons is also Is a Auto Immune. We would compare rashes and stuff. Complain about or no energy and lack of physical activity because we both would be so tired all the time. Lucky for me I got a Celiac DX , Hers is not reversible. My friend has had 3 resections to her bowels she has no ellium <- spelling? So she goes and gets B12 shots. 

Celiac you will always have , but you can heal from it. I wouldn't be going on Gluten binges!! Thats for sure. If your intestines are healed Congrats!! I'd stay far far away from Gluten!!. You may just want to lighten up what your drinking? maby don't drink as much of it. Vegetables are roughage so eat them with some protein. 

I have been diagnosed Celiac and my gastro said I did not have Crohn's (Thankfully!). I am pretty sure it was the alcohol because it was the first time I drank in months, and I did so in a large quantity. Not making that mistake again!

#13 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:55 PM

We do live and learn :) Just take care of your self. Don't be so hard on your body, it's the only one you have.

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: