10 replies to this topic

#1 Aightball

Aightball

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 12:14 PM

I hope this is the right forum for this :).

I was thinking back to my allergy testing in January...I am not allergic to wheat, but the allergy doc suggested avoid wheat/gluten to see how I feel. If I'm not allergic to it, do I still need to avoid it? Guess I'm just looking for something more go have in the diet, but while I feel great on this diet, wondering if I really need to avoid soemthing I'm not allergic to?

-Kel

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 seeking_wholeness

seeking_wholeness

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 09:11 PM

Kel,

When doctors say you're not "allergic" to wheat, they mean that you do not have an IgE-mediated reaction to it (like hives or anaphylaxis). However, celiac disease is mediated by IgA and IgG, NOT IgE. If you make anti-gliadin IgA and/or IgG antibodies, you MUST avoid gluten in all its forms to remain healthy, even though you are not classically "allergic."

I hope this clears up any confusion, and I'm sorry it's probably not what you wanted to hear!
Sarah
gluten-free since November 1, 2003

#3 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 05:35 AM

Even if you're not allergic to wheat, wheat is a form of gluten, and therefore, you need to avoid it. "gluten-free" means "wheat-free, rye-free, malt-free, barley-free, etc." It is just a broad term referring to all these. You must avoid wheat....although you do not have an allergy to it, you do have a sort of intolerance to it.

#4 Guest_gillian502_*

Guest_gillian502_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2004 - 02:49 PM

I'm not allergic to wheat either, but eating gluten almost killed me. I know it's weird, but you can have celiac disease and still, like me, have no food allergies whatsoever.

#5 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 04:17 PM

celiac disease is an intolerance to gluten, NOT an allergy, You can not outgrow it, you have it for life! If you feel great on the diet YES stay on it because you probably have celiac disease not just an allergy to wheat
Molly

#6 bonnieo

bonnieo

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 04:55 PM

Sarah,

Above you say that anyone who produces IgA and IgG anti-gliadin antibodies needs to avoid gluten to be healthy. I wonder if you could help me understand this further. My son's blood tests show he is producing both of these (as well as IgG to casein). But the doctor has advised me to remove only milk (in all its forms) from his diet. I'm wondering why he hasn't recommended removing gluten.

Thanks,

JO

#7 Guest_gillian502_*

Guest_gillian502_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2004 - 10:46 AM

Also I know that if a person produces only Igg antibodies, there is a chance they have another, different illness going on, not always celiac disease. But IgA and Ttg usually mean Celiac.

#8 Mark

Mark

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 04:35 PM

IgA and IgG anti-gliadin test could be false positive sometimes, especially when there is another illness going on (as Gillian has already mentioned). But it tells you there IS something wrong about gliadin, and I would rather support Sarah over your doc.

MARK
gluten-free/CF since September 03

#9 bob

bob

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 03:05 PM

I too am sticking reluctantly to a gluten-free diet having been diagnosed with celiac disease by an endosocopy. I have had 2 follow-up endoscopies and my gut hasn't grown back (refractory sprue?). My doctor doesn't want to know any more, I get the feeling he doesn't believe I'm totally gluten free, but I know I am.
Strange thing is, I am pleased to say I feel absolutely fine. My adverse symptoms didn't go away by going gluten-free. but by eating little and often, avoiding excess alcohol, stress and taking plenty of exercise.
Everyone says how dangerous (eg Cancer, Osteoporosis) it is to carry on eating gluten when you've been diagnosed as celiac disease. I have read the science and I respect that.
But I would be interested out of curiosity to see the stats. Is there a PROVED correlation between, say, deaths by Cancer of the Oesophagus and celiac disease, in the same way as there is between Lung Cancer and smoking?
Bob

#10 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 03:28 PM

This article in the American Journal of Managed Care Celiac Disease certainly implies that it is well-researched causation with lymphoma.

This article in a Polish journal Celiac Disease and Problems Associate with Reproduction certainly implies there is a well-researched link with impared fertility.

This article in the European Journal of Gastroenterologic Hepatology Prevalence and clinical associations of prolonged prothrombin time in adult untreated coeliac disease. investigates the relationship to malabsorption.

You can find a lot of other research on PubMed.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#11 bob

bob

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 01:54 AM