This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cold Snowy Winter Comin'............ Git Ready

Candy

Adalaide Mentor

We've got mountain snow! Won't be terribly long before the resorts open I imagine. Not that I'd ever go, not in a million years. But I'm happy to sit home and drink cocoa while you go. :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
GottaSki Mentor

We've got mountain snow! Won't be terribly long before the resorts open I imagine. Not that I'd ever go, not in a million years. But I'm happy to sit home and drink cocoa while you go. :D

Hoping one day soon ;)

IrishHeart Veteran

Hoping one day soon ;)

You know it's comin!  ;) we nevah say die. 

Addy, is it weird that I want cocoa right now? It's like 70 out there at 11 PM.

er, wait.....the weather guy just said 82. :lol:

nvsmom Community Regular

I just moved to Florida. B)

Do we have a "mooning" smiley?!?   :P

Mountains are white up here and it snowed for about half an hour today, but nothing stuck yet.  I can't complain. We usually have had a snow and a killing frost before October starts. To still have living dahlias and tomatoes outside in October is pretty unusual for my city.

Adalaide Mentor

You know it's comin!  ;) we nevah say die. 

Addy, is it weird that I want cocoa right now? It's like 70 out there at 11 PM.

er, wait.....the weather guy just said 82. :lol:

NEVAH!

I've had a few cups of cocoa already this fall. My husband found Baily's red velvet coffee creamer at the store and I've been putting that in my cocoa which is amazing. My husband thinks I'm kinda wacky because I love my cocoa made from cocoa powder, not the kind from a box. It doesn't have enough sugar for him. I'll think of you with every cup of cocoa this winter. :wub: 

And you can keep your 82... thanks.

IrishHeart Veteran

NEVAH!

I've had a few cups of cocoa already this fall. My husband found Baily's red velvet coffee creamer at the store and I've been putting that in my cocoa which is amazing. My husband thinks I'm kinda wacky because I love my cocoa made from cocoa powder, not the kind from a box. It doesn't have enough sugar for him. I'll think of you with every cup of cocoa this winter. :wub:

And you can keep your 82... thanks.

I am so happy you are able to use it all up. :wub:  It would have been a tragedy, nay--a sacrilege, I say-! - had that dark chocolatey goodness melted in the storage container.

It's 82, but it's breezy and lovely. You would probably like it! ^_^

shadowicewolf Proficient

I am so happy you are able to use it all up. :wub:  It would have been a tragedy, nay--a sacrilege, I say-! - had that dark chocolatey goodness melted in the storage container.

It's 82, but it's breezy and lovely. You would probably like it! ^_^

Its in the 30s right now with a lot of wind :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Its in the 30s right now with a lot of wind :)

I'm sorry, hunny. :( That's too cold for me.

I see most of the country is enjoying unusually warm weather.

We have tropical storm KAREN in the Gulf.  hopefully, she will not get in the way of my house being built.

The roof was almost completed Thursday, but you know how those KARENS are..... :P

(shh--let's see if she sees this. She has super sonic radar detecto brain waves and just knows if I say her name......) :ph34r:

shadowicewolf Proficient

I'm sorry, hunny. :( That's too cold for me.

I see most of the country is enjoying unusually warm weather.

We have tropical storm KAREN in the Gulf.  hopefully, she will not get in the way of my house being built.

The roof was almost completed Thursday, but you know how those KARENS are..... :P

(shh--let's see if she sees this. She has super sonic radar detecto brain waves and just knows if I say her name......) :ph34r:

I do not miss the heat of FL though :/ I'd rather have a snowy winter.

And those storms.... I remember having 3 days off for one from school. Luckily it changed its route just a bit so we weren't hit bad but still.

IrishHeart Veteran

I do not miss the heat of FL though :/ I'd rather have a snowy winter.

That's because you're still young. After you get old and and have creaky bones and sore joints and (pretend you are me now, ) have spent the last 16 years helping to shovel a 160- foot driveway, you would see it from my perspective :lol:  Growing up in New England (and living in upstate NY the last 25 years),I saw enough snow to last me for the rest of my days. I love snow, I just do not want to feel cold anymore.

On a crazy note, I do have my sled with me (honest!) because it's been mine for 50 years and I just could not part with it. What can I say? I love my sled. 

mommida Enthusiast

Sneaking in one more baseball tournament! :wub: !

Glad the warm weather is staying a little longer.  We have 1 runt baby bunny born Wednesday morning.  (How strange all the normal size bunnies born on the wire died.  The runt was born in the nest box and is alive. ~ for now.)  He has no siblings to snuggle with. :(

shadowicewolf Proficient

That's because you're still young. After you get old and and have creaky bones and sore joints and (pretend you are me now, ) have spent the last 16 years helping to shovel a 160- foot driveway, you would see it from my perspective :lol:  Growing up in New England (and living in upstate NY the last 25 years),I saw enough snow to last me for the rest of my days. I love snow, I just do not want to feel cold anymore.

On a crazy note, I do have my sled with me (honest!) because it's been mine for 50 years and I just could not part with it. What can I say? I love my sled. 

Eh, heat really does not agree with me.

Adalaide Mentor

Eh, heat really does not agree with me.

I'm with you. You can always bundle up against the cold. There is a limited amount of clothing you can remove in the heat before you have some lovely men in blue uniforms come and fit you for new silver bracelets. :lol:

bartfull Rising Star

Good morning everybody! We got hit and hit HARD!!! I didn't even come to work yesterday. It rained and then changed to ice, then changed to snow. We only got about four or five inches here, but up north around deadwood they got over 30 inches. We had some heavy winds, but they got worse. And that heavy wet snow on top of tree branches meant lots of powetr outages. My lights kept flickering yesterday and at about quarter after six last night power went out for good. I have so many candles that it was no problem to see to read. But I have electric heat.

I put a "roof" over the kitty's bed to hold in the heat, and of course I have lots of blankets and a big thick sleeping bag. We managed just fine.

Power is back on this morning, but I don't know for how long. There are HUGE limbs down in everybody's yards. I lost quite a few. They scraped against the house as they fell but there's no damage to the structure. But you can't get to my front door. The electrical wire to my house looks OK but there is a big broken branch resting against my phone wire. You can just squeak by the limb in my driveway, and there's another big one on the north side of the house. The row of small trees between me and the neighbor is bent over and touching the south side of my house and my bay window. Didn't break it though, thank God.  

They are now saying we might get another one next weekend! This is CRAZY! Last year we didn't get winter until April, when it snowed and snowed. Now here we are at the beginning of October and we're getting THIS! Maybe we'll get it all out of the way early and have a nice mild winter. I hope...

Adalaide Mentor

I was wondering how you did with the storm. Maybe you will get it out of the way early. Hopefully they'll manage to keep you powered but I know how that goes in the middle of nowhere after a storm. With any luck they'll have things cleared up before the weekend is over and you'll have all week at work to worry about the next one. :P

shadowicewolf Proficient

Good morning everybody! We got hit and hit HARD!!! I didn't even come to work yesterday. It rained and then changed to ice, then changed to snow. We only got about four or five inches here, but up north around deadwood they got over 30 inches. We had some heavy winds, but they got worse. And that heavy wet snow on top of tree branches meant lots of powetr outages. My lights kept flickering yesterday and at about quarter after six last night power went out for good. I have so many candles that it was no problem to see to read. But I have electric heat.

I put a "roof" over the kitty's bed to hold in the heat, and of course I have lots of blankets and a big thick sleeping bag. We managed just fine.

Power is back on this morning, but I don't know for how long. There are HUGE limbs down in everybody's yards. I lost quite a few. They scraped against the house as they fell but there's no damage to the structure. But you can't get to my front door. The electrical wire to my house looks OK but there is a big broken branch resting against my phone wire. You can just squeak by the limb in my driveway, and there's another big one on the north side of the house. The row of small trees between me and the neighbor is bent over and touching the south side of my house and my bay window. Didn't break it though, thank God.  

They are now saying we might get another one next weekend! This is CRAZY! Last year we didn't get winter until April, when it snowed and snowed. Now here we are at the beginning of October and we're getting THIS! Maybe we'll get it all out of the way early and have a nice mild winter. I hope...

Eeeek, no fun.

No snow here. Lots of wind though.

bartfull Rising Star

The sun is out and everything is melting. :) There's not much snow left on the trees and the roads are all clear now. A little further north though, they are still in trouble.

A friend from Buffalo Gap (a small town 13 miles east of here) came in this morning. He said the whole town is still out of power. But I think the population of Buffalo Gap is somewhere around 80 people, and they all watch out for each other. Those who have genorators have rounded up those who don't and brought them to their houses. And it really is rather pleasant out there this morning. A little while ago I went outside without a coat on and it was fine.

Somebody said the town is going to come by and pick up all the downed branches if we bring them to the curb. And I'm going to get my friend Terry (a certified arborist) to cut those darned cedar trees that are over the wires once it warms up a little.

kareng Grand Master

I guess the one thing we did to get ready for winter was, in July, buy my oldest a pair of really nice, waterproof & warm hiking boots.  His college tends to have several inches of cold slushy melting snow during the winter.

He said in Ft Collins, Co  they got a little snow.  I think they got a bit more in the mountains.  The boots were great.  He is going up to work on a kids camp that got some flood damage today so appreciates the boots.

Otherwise, here in KC, not much to do to get ready.

Loey Rising Star

Thinking of all of you & sending prayers that the extreme weather you're all experincing doesn't cause too much damage or inconvenience. It's been hot & humid all week (even this AM) but now it's cool in RI. The trees haven't fully turned because it hasn't rained and the temps are just not consistent. It almost seems that we skipped fall & went right into winter. Sending a BIG cyber cup of hot chocolate with marshmellows(or a hot toddy for those who prefer it). It amazes me that some people still don't believe in global warming!

Love & (((hugs)))

Loey

nvsmom Community Regular

It amazes me that some people still don't believe in global warming!

Global warming is working against us. We're an arid grassland but global warming means more moisture is getting into the atmosphere, so we have more rain and cloudiness... we're getting colder darn it!  LOL

shadowicewolf Proficient

60s today. I kinda want it to snow :lol:

IrishHeart Veteran

89 and I don't  :lol:

GF Lover Rising Star

TS Karen is dumping a ton of rain on me <_<

IrishHeart Veteran

sorry, babes.....TS Karen didn't even give me any grief...

love2travel Mentor

89 and I don't  :lol:

Me, neither, as I am currently in Croatia where it is slowly raining, warm, green and lush.

Archived