This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cold Snowy Winter Comin'............ Git Ready

Candy

IrishHeart Veteran

I have my sled. Yes, it's (ahem) 45+ years old. And yes I know sorta  weird to have kept it.

Could not part with it. It's nostalgic. It holds happy memories.

I can still see myself and my best pal Mary (she was on the bottom and I was on top)

shooting down the snowy banks right onto the frozen Charles River. whoohoo!

It 's in the PODS thinger, but next year, Ima gonna put it out for decoration... It's "ironic". :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
nvsmom Community Regular

Irish, I get hanging on to the old sled. I had an old wooden one from when I was a kid - it could easily seat half a dozen of us. My dad used to take it elk hunting so we ended up with the coolest sled in the neighbourhood because of the blood stains on it.  LOL I was heart broken when we snapped it after trying to get half a doen drunken university students on it. 

The sleigh ride was wonderful. My boys kept falling off the back of the sled into the snow and the driver would go just fast enough so they could barely catch up. The ranch dogs kept pace the whole time and only took off to bark at the elk herd... Very cool day!

We are "chinooking" right now (warm Pacific winds coming down from the mountains) so we played outside for hours. My boys exhausted themselves tobogganing on the huge hill, and I do mean huge! It took 15 minutes to get to the top! I took one video of my oldest where when he started on the top he was a speck but you could hear the screaming as he accelerated; eventually he zoomed by with an outrageous look of fear and excitement on his face.  LOL It took a good minute to ride all the way down.

bartfull Rising Star

We used to go sledding at night. We'd put flashlights into plastic bags and then tie them onto the front of the sleds. Then the person in front would put their feet through the bars in the sled behind them and we would make a chain. Sometimes there'd be seven of us. And of course because our feet were in the way, the only one who could steer was the person in front. Lord help us when Maggie was in front! She'd always steer us into a tree or a ditch!

Good times...

Adalaide Mentor

I grew up living on a dirt road until I finished kindergarten. Since our house was the only one on it, it was only plowed to our driveway. It was on a "mountain" (I use that term very loosely when referring to the hills back in PA) and it was all steep hill from our driveway to the top. We had to hike 15 or 20 minutes to get to the top in the snow, but my brother and I would drag my mom up a few times a day in good weather. It sure was a heck of a ride!

IrishHeart Veteran

Oh Nicole, Barty,  Addy...

Those last three stories you shared just made my eyes fill up with happy tears.

I could picture all of those scenes!

Thanks, guys! XXX.

It was a bit strange to wake up to 78 degrees down here on Christmas morning, but we went to a spectacular lights display on this guy's mansion out on the island (after Christmas  dinner at my friend's house)  and I felt more "grounded". We sent a pic of us out to friends and family that night captioned "It's Christmas....and we're not wearing pants!!!". 

:D 

GFinDC Veteran

We had a big hill behind the farm house.  One winter we made snowballs as big as we could on top of the hill.  Once they were so big we could hardly move them, we started them down the hill.  By the time they reached another flat spot, they were about 5 foot tall snow balls.  Prolly weighed about a ton.  Those snow balls lasted until early June though, slowly melting a little each day.  Thot sure they would attract gurls for some reason...  rats! :wacko:

nvsmom Community Regular

Irish - I almost spit my coffee on the computer! Lol :D No pants?! LOL

G-FinDC - my brother and I did that as kids but the snowball that got away from us and ended up in the road. My dad had to drive around it for weeks until it melted a bit - he wasn't impressed. LOL. I'd forgotten about that. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Irish - I almost spit my coffee on the computer! Lol :D No pants?! LOL

I have to find creative ways to get some people I know to open up their emails. :D

We had shorts on. And sandals. It was 81. 

Adalaide Mentor

I've been out without a coat all week. It's been in the low or mid 30s. Sure, some people might think that's crazy, but I think the weather is perfect. ^_^

love2travel Mentor

I've been out without a coat all week. It's been in the low or mid 30s. Sure, some people might think that's crazy, but I think the weather is perfect. ^_^

That is pretty perfect, especially when others are stuck in ANOTHER massive blizzard. To get to -34C tonight but windchill is -47. Putrid.

Loey Rising Star

Wishing everyone a safe, warm & dry New year! May your power stay on, your stomach's full of gluten-free food and that you bask in the glow of your loved ones.

nvsmom Community Regular

Our weather has gone schizo.  On New Years it snowed a few inches, then it warmed up well above zero for a few days. Now it's snowing again and tomorrow's high is -20 something. Our daily highes are bouncing up and down 30C every few days.

bartfull Rising Star

Same here. Yesterday it was 50 degrees. Tomorrow it's supposed to go to 15 below, and the wind chill will be 30 below. That's warm compared to a few miles north of here where they are predicting a fifty-five below wind chill. I have all the supplies I need and will be spending the day indoors tomorrow, except I guess I'll go out and start the car and let it run for about 20 minutes just to be on the safe side.

GF Lover Rising Star

Looking at the same stuff here in Ohio.  More snow coming late weekend.  I went and got a few more supplies this morning and we are in until it gets a bit warmer.  

Stay warm Silly Yaks,

Colleen

IrishHeart Veteran

Not being a wise ass here here, honest.

I sincerely hope none of you are getting too whacked
with snow and cold right now.
And you are all on the news down here and they start the news with "those poor
folks up in ......(insert place here)."
So, I am hoping it's not too bad for you all.

Where I used to live in NY...our friends report -11 and 13 inches of snow.

happy-feet-penguin-smiley-emoticon.gif

I do not miss that kind of frigid cold.

And I promise not to mention that it's 74 here or

that they said it was the warmest December
on record. Because then, I would sound like a wise ass and you would all probably
say something out loud like "Oh, shut the hell up, Irish, you giant asshat!!"  at the computer.

So, I won't mention it.

Play in the snow for me. I still love snow.

GF Lover Rising Star

Let me be the first to give a an Internet SMACK!!   :lol:

Colleen

IrishHeart Veteran

Let me be the first to give a an Internet SMACK!!   :lol:

Colleen

but you still  :wub:  me. lol

love2travel Mentor

It is too cold to play in the snow IH, and you know it, you little...um...braggart!  :lol:  Thanks for NOT mentioning your weather.  -_-

We have had lots 'n lots of snow on the ground since November 1 which means 65 days too many!  :angry:  With no end in sight until the end of April, cabin fever has already set in. 

GF Lover Rising Star

but you still  :wub:  me. lol

They are SMACKS of love...lol

Love2, I just can't imagine how you are dealing with the cold up there.  I shiver just thinking about you.

Colleen

love2travel Mentor

Some days it seems almost unbearable, especially as cold really exacerbates my pain.  :(   Knowing this is our last real winter helps a little until I look out the window and all I see is white bleakness and see -30 on our thermometer thinger.  My husband and I look at our trip pictures on the TV monitor and revel in the zillion shades of greens in the vegetation and millions of shades of blues of the sea.  We did that the other day again.  Unless you have experienced windchills of -45 or worse you just cannot believe the pain it causes.  This is how it feels...

You step outside and immediately the cold causes your eyes to tear up.  Then your tears freeze to any exposed skin.  Your lungs and chest tighten up and usually I cough a bit.  It is so windy here nearly always and that makes things far worse.  It feels like electric shocks and the pain forces you to close your eyes.  My husband has trouble with his contacts constricting outside, too.  My hands frequently go numb and tingly - in fact, last week one of my fingers got frostbitten.  :blink:   I walk our dog in anything warmer than -40.  It is now that so it is iffy.  He is part Husky and very hardy but even he holds up his paws from time to time.  Even wearing layers causes my legs to burn with cold which takes a couple of hours after to thaw. 

It is so cold and dry that my heels have huge cracks in them, as do my fingers.  The cracks in my heels are so deep that each night I pull sock fuzzies out of them!  My husband sort of giggles at that.  I get eczema on my legs and arms each winter.

I don't know whether it is obvious or not but I DESPISE WINTER HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :angry:   It is so cold that if you toss a pail of water outside it freezes into ice before it hits the ground.  Believe me - we've done it and it works.

IrishHeart Veteran

That's just crazy cold. I could never live there. I hated the cold in NY and it was not as bad as that and it made me miserable and caused great pain.

All I can say is, do what I did last year at this time: Focus on Getting the heck outta there!  ;)

GF Lover Rising Star

Dang Love2,  just doesn't seem like a good way to live.  I'm so glad you guys are getting out of there.  Winter Storm Warning issued for tonight and tomorrow.  Bundle up peeps. 

Colleen

love2travel Mentor

It really is not a good way to live. It seems like anything outside is a struggle. Even getting outside is a struggle. But not for long! Soon we will are on our way! So, yay and hooray. Then we can play. But not in hay. Even in May. What do you say?

Sheesh. I am low carbing it and am going through horrid sugar withdrawals. Even my brain hurts.

IrishHeart Veteran

It really is not a good way to live. It seems like anything outside is a struggle. Even getting outside is a struggle. But not for long! Soon we will are on our way! So, yay and hooray. Then we can play. But not in hay. Even in May. What do you say?

Sheesh. I am low carbing it and am going through horrid sugar withdrawals. Even my brain hurts.

and like last year, you've got cabin fever... :lol: you're talking in rhymes again, sweets.

oh yesssss, that sugar w/d thinger is a beeyutch. Hang in there, eat something with a bit of honey on it maybe? works for me.. 

nvsmom Community Regular

I don't know whether it is obvious or not but I DESPISE WINTER HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :angry:   It is so cold that if you toss a pail of water outside it freezes into ice before it hits the ground.  Believe me - we've done it and it works.

I through water at the cats to keep them out of our yard.... At those temps, water would probably concuss the thing. Lol

That is just nasty.... It's -25C here now. Cold enough to freeze nostril hairs and make you cough, but there's no wind so it's not horrendous. Your weather is just ... Wrong.

I get the cracked skin too because it is so dry here. Duct taping your heels can help.it keeps the gunk out of the cracks too soot can heal faster.

Hang in there.... Only, um, four more months until spring. :(

Archived