This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cold Snowy Winter Comin'............ Git Ready

Candy

IrishHeart Veteran

I saw that headline and didn't bother reading it, but I think it's hilarious coming from someone in Texas. Land of "lets shut down our state for more than a week over some ice" state. HAH!

Admittedly though, back in PA where I grew up my brother was complaining recently about school closures. They actually closed school over a dusting. As in less than an inch, without icy conditions. We talked about how the schools are encouraging our kids to be weather weanies (our family word instead of wimps) by teaching them that at the first flake they should panic. Sure, there is a point at which it simply is too cold or too snowy, but overall I think people are just too scared of a little weather. I know they are here. I swear, the day we got a foot of snow people acted like it was the apocalypse and about 1% of people know how to drive if it rains.

The weather forecasters are part of this "panic". How many times does the "Go get extra supplies!", "stay off the roads! It's gonna be a Nor'Easter!" have we heard through the years. People would buy out the shelves...and stack the wood and get ready..and NOTHING.

happened.

It's the "cry wolf" syndrome, so when things like Sandy hit, people are shrugging this off.

The only real knock down snowstorm was the blizzard of '78. I was stuck at home for 4 days and the city of Boston was closed down.

The National Guard was called in.

The problem with schools closing is state aid. Close too many times ---and you lose money.

When I was still teaching HS years ago, we NEVER got snow days off. I drove right through snowstorms to get to work.

Forget college classes, they never called those off unless it was BAD. I can recall that happening maybe twice.

So, I would drive in and have maybe 4 students show up. 

Not sure why they would close for a dusting except there is public outcry if a kid is "standing outside" for too long waiting for the bus.

You know, the bus that stops at every single house for each and every kid. How about having them WALK a little and stand together at one stop?

oy. 

So, I do  see how we may be raising a nation of weather wimps. 

I walked a half an hour every morning to get to my HS  uphill both ways in snow, rain, sleet........ ^_^ 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mommida Enthusiast

It was funny because of Texas shutting down for ice.  There isn't much you can do when you are sliding on ice.  I do believe in snow days.  (They are mental health days in my opinion.)

My sister did have frostbite on her cheeks.  It didn't look like what they describe most of the time.  They usually say redness.  Her face was sparkley, frozen, and pale.  Mother Nature/Old Man Winter are not to be played with.  If you are unlucky enough to get frostbite once, you are much more likely to be much more sensitive.

I live more rural with dirt roads, hills and curves, and it is said you can't go 4 miles without running into water in this state.  I remember walking to school through a 4 foot snow drift wearing my Pom Pon uniform.  I did put sweatpants on with my jumper, but seriously.  It was a 1/4 mile that I had cut down to about 12 minutes run and hopped a few fences cutting through people's yards.  The trick was to hop that fence before your gloves/mittens froze to it and hope the homeowner didn't catch you and yell at you for trespassing.

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Momida,

The last weather report I on the weather channel saw said the next polar vortex won't be as bad as the first one.

But it does look like it is going to have some helpers this time.  So it might be good to bar the doors anyway.

Open Original Shared Link

Adalaide Mentor

I walked a half an hour every morning to get to my HS  uphill both ways in snow, rain, sleet........ ^_^ 

I didn't have it quite that bad. We lived on the border of where we would get bussed after we moved to town, which meant a mile to school. Weather didn't matter, we walked or biked. It was only uphill there for us though. I guess we should be thankful for that!

Apparently I've been told that there was good snow all that winter too, not just that blizzard in 78. My mom has told me that it was, in her words "snowing to beat sh!t" when they left for the hospital for my arrival. I do have impeccable timing. ^_^ My parents holed up for that blizzard with my dad's parents at the farm, because it was way safer than being at their crappy little apartment with me if the electricity went out.

I do believe in snow days too, but they should be when there is actual snow to enjoy! And since I grew up with real weather, not this nonsense people freak out about here in Utah, I know how to drive in it and if there is one thing I will not drive in it is ice. That's just plain stupid. It is the one road condition that I deem unsafe enough not to drive in at all. Although, after Thursday I'm not sure I should ever leave the house in fog again in Utah. It was the first time I saw "real" fog here, with less than 1/4 mile visibility and everyone acted like it was a normal morning commute. :blink:

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

I agree about the driving thing, this is New England. Same thing happens every year,

people. How short term can our memories be? Every year during the first big storm, there's

crash after crash after crash. Because all the yutz's in their 4 wheel drive think they can just

drive like normal. Well, 4 wheel drive doesn't help you STOP any faster! Oy.....

Gemini Experienced

Gemini's Wintah Pet Peeves......

1) What the hell is a Polar Vortex?  Really?  It's called an Arctic Front and has for years until the weather wimps that pass as forecasters renamed it to sound more dramatic. This is not some weather Black Hole we are going to be sucked into so please.......lets drop the drama.

2)  When it snows out, put some snow tires on your cah, please.  Otherwise, you will get stuck and muck it up for the rest of us who do put snow tires on our cahs.  And if you think 4 wheel drive will save you, think again. Most 4 wheel drive cahs have hard tires on them..........not a softer compound that sticks to the snow and ice.  That's half the battle.  I have seen Jeeps stuck in the snow that I passed in my wintah outfitted HYUNDAI.  Blizzak Snow and Ice tires rock.  Which leads me into number 3........

3) If you insist on driving your cah without snow's and can't drive over 20 MPH, PULL OVER and let the rest of us who know how to drive pass.  I actually love driving in the snow and it can be very fun if you like adventure.  So, please, do not spoil my fun by blocking the road and making all of us drive slower than we can walk. Exceptions are made if there is ice or black ice on the road.

4) Last but not least....if you live on the ocean and there is a Nor'eastah, do not complain when your house washes out to sea.  The state is under no obligation to rescue your house, either....at taxpayer expense.  I would not live in a house with the Atlantic as my back yard for just such a reason so no complainin' Lucy!  Either that or buy flood insurance...which you probably can't afford anyway.

I feel so much bettah now.... ;)   Happy Wintah, Everyone!

Adalaide Mentor

Gemini's Wintah Pet Peeves......

1) What the hell is a Polar Vortex?  Really?  It's called an Arctic Front and has for years until the weather wimps that pass as forecasters renamed it to sound more dramatic. This is not some weather Black Hole we are going to be sucked into so please.......lets drop the drama.

2)  When it snows out, put some snow tires on your cah, please.  Otherwise, you will get stuck and muck it up for the rest of us who do put snow tires on our cahs.  And if you think 4 wheel drive will save you, think again. Most 4 wheel drive cahs have hard tires on them..........not a softer compound that sticks to the snow and ice.  That's half the battle.  I have seen Jeeps stuck in the snow that I passed in my wintah outfitted HYUNDAI.  Blizzak Snow and Ice tires rock.  Which leads me into number 3........

3) If you insist on driving your cah without snow's and can't drive over 20 MPH, PULL OVER and let the rest of us who know how to drive pass.  I actually love driving in the snow and it can be very fun if you like adventure.  So, please, do not spoil my fun by blocking the road and making all of us drive slower than we can walk. Exceptions are made if there is ice or black ice on the road.

4) Last but not least....if you live on the ocean and there is a Nor'eastah, do not complain when your house washes out to sea.  The state is under no obligation to rescue your house, either....at taxpayer expense.  I would not live in a house with the Atlantic as my back yard for just such a reason so no complainin' Lucy!  Either that or buy flood insurance...which you probably can't afford anyway.

I feel so much bettah now.... ;)   Happy Wintah, Everyone!

You're hysterical. I don't actually get snow tires, but we don't generally get enough snow to warrant it. Back east or farther north I would. On the night we had a foot of snow and I picked my husband up from work I slid just a little a few times on the way home because... duh. The first time he got a completely panicked look on his face and grabbed the door handle like he was about to die. I was like omg calm the hell down, you're going to stress me out acting like that. You don't get you freak out until we aren't paint side up anymore. Freaking CA people... :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Today I'm going out to the front yard to wash my dog.  With low humidity, she'll be dry in minutes!  Not to gloat, but it's going to be 85 degrees for the next couple of days!  Time to get out my flip flops!

IrishHeart Veteran

Indeed....IMO, Best drivers are those who know how to drive a cah in any weathah.  :D

My first driving experience behind the wheel at 16.5 years was on the Jamaicaway in Boston (aka the Jway--a tight 4 lane undivided road)

at 5PM on a Friday in sneet (which is mixed snow and sleet for those of you who may not know) Mr. O'Connor, the driver's Ed instructor ( and also my math teachah) did not even have a brake or a wheel. He just told us to drive. (He also said "yellow means go like hell" ) lol

I was terrible at math, but I excelled at driving. 

And Cylinglady, I'm adding my "not to rubbing it in" either, but it's 78 here and I'm headed out for a walk.

I would bathe the cat, but I like my eyes.

mommida Enthusiast

We are predicted to get another 3-5 inches of snow tonight.

But wait there's more!  I live in a crazy little band of it's own weather, it makes more snow than the surrounding areas.  Basically I live where the ski resorts are in my state.

I have a Jeep.  The focus of safe winter drivers is to have a good handle on STOPPING.

Those little flour boys!  Put me right into a sneezing fit watching that.  Hello Molly Maids.. How much does it cost to clean....?

Gemini Experienced

You don't get you freak out until we aren't paint side up anymore. Freaking CA people... :lol:

Oh....I like your attitude!  Ha, Ha!  :lol:

Gemini Experienced

And Cylinglady, I'm adding my "not to rubbing it in" either, but it's 78 here and I'm headed out for a walk.

Oh, yeah?  Wait until it's hurricane season and then we'll talk....... ;)

IrishHeart Veteran

Honestly, I am not really worried about hurricane season. Nothing happened this year. We'll see what next year brings.

dang, It's cold this AM. 54. supposed to be near 44 tomorrow morning.

Quit sending that there polar vortex thinger down here!! Gonna have to suck it up and buy some damn pants.  :lol:

GF Lover Rising Star

Honestly, I am not really worried about hurricane season. Nothing happened this year. We'll see what next year brings.

Quit sending that there polar vortex thinger down here!! Gonna have to suck it up and buy some damn pants.  :lol:

Irish has to wear pants!  NeeNerNeeNerNeeNer  :lol:

IrishHeart Veteran

Irish has to wear pants!  NeeNerNeeNerNeeNer  :lol:

and possibly shoes! gasp.  <_<  :lol:

w8in4dave Community Regular

Are we in for round two in the weather? Is this like the worst winter ever??

bartfull Rising Star

It's not cold here (high of 42, low of 19), but it's so WINDY!!! Steady wind in the 30 MPH range and gusts up to 60 MPH! Tree limbs down everywhere!  Supposed to die down tonight, and temps in the forseeable future are again in the 50's.

Adalaide Mentor

Sounds like tshirt weather to me! :P Know what's nice about winter in places where pants are pretty much a requirement? Shaved legs stop being a requirement. :lol:

It has been beautiful weather here. Every day 30s and sunny. So nice to ditch the coat for a while.

nvsmom Community Regular

It's beautiful up here. Warm chinook winds are a blowin'. Must be close to 10C.

My only complaint is that all the snow is melting, and we have had a lot of snow this year! There are still 5-6 foot piles of snow on the sides of all the driveways, and you still have to step up onto the side streets from the shovelled sidewalks, but now the sidewalks are sheer ice because all of the snow is melting onto the sidewalks and is being held in by the snow on the road or the frozen ground. Everyone's walking on the roads instead of the sidewalks.  The roads are a mess too. We have "potholes" in the ice down to the actual asphalt that are close to a foot deep, from the big trucks and cars spinning their tires on the ice... why won't people learn that spinning the tires is bad!? Rock forwards and backwards! Sheesh... I've had to push two people (men!) out of icy potholes they created with spinning tires this past week.... It was good for an "I am woman, hear me roar" moment.   B)

IrishHeart Veteran

.... It was good for an "I am woman, hear me roar" moment.   B)

whoohoo!  ;)

So, during this "cold snap" in FLA, J and I are wearing shorts and sandals

and natives have on sweaters, scarves, gloves, down vests and boots. um, it's only 54 outside :unsure: .

They tell me I will be the same way a year from now....that "my blood

will thin".... really? Any science behind that, I wondered?

come on, you all know me by now.... :lol: 

"............according to popular legend, your blood "thins" after you

move to Central Florida's muggy subtropical climate.

That's hogwash, (hey, who uses that word often--me!) :lol: 

according to Dr. Holly Andersen, a cardiologist and
director of education and outreach at the Ronald O. Perelman Heart

Institute of New York-Presbyterian Hospital."

Read more here:

Open Original Shared Link

GF Lover Rising Star

So...In the end, my beer belly won't keep me warm.  One less reason to drink beer, eh?

Colleen 

IrishHeart Veteran

So...In the end, my beer belly won't keep me warm.  One less reason to drink beer, eh?

Colleen 

Well, my "adipose tissue" seems to be working for me right now. :D   but J is a foot taller, so he is cold. 

Science is interesting, isn't it. lol. 

Adalaide Mentor

So why exactly am I cold all the time if I'm chubby all over? Someone broke science in my house! <_<

mommida Enthusiast

I heard we will be in another deep freeze.  We will look forward to -2 for a high temp for Tuesday.  (Bunnies will be back in the tub!)  Let's see what kind of wind chill we can look forward to!!?

The kids have Monday off school for MLK day.  They will probably close schools on Tuesday for the extreme cold, depending on the windchill.  :rolleyes:

nvsmom Community Regular

Ahhhh, but it's my fat that feels cold! When I am outside, or just sitting still too long, my extremities get cold and that seems to sadly include my butt. It's cold to the touch. My hands, feet, outer hips and nose get cold too. Unfortunately my chest does not come close to qualifying as an extremity... nope, not close at all. LOL

It definitely takes some time to adjust to weather. We headed down to Disneyland this fall and the humidity and the temps in the low 30's © was a bit much for us. I can adjust to cold better - you can always put on more clothes.

That being said though, if it is firmly above 10C, that qualifies as shorts weather.  B)  I've worn shorts jogging in February, and I remember one REALLY warm year where we were sitting out in lawn chairs on Xmas... I love chinooks.

Archived