4 replies to this topic

#1 Candy

Candy

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:36 PM

I've been eating steamed vegetables all summer and they're great ; now I'm hooked. They're super quick to prepare,leave me feeling satiated and energized and help me get 5-8 cups of veggies a few days of the week.The veggies made my celiac gut  feel a whole world better too.I can't remember the site,but I liked their method of cutting vegetables into maybe half-inch pieces ,then steaming them for 3-5 minutes,especially cruciferous for female breast health-maybe it's good for all  types of cancer prevention.

You can also steam them in a little water too, in the pot,not necessary to have a steamer basket,necessarily.

I was also interested in sprouting  sprouts so I got a sprouter device at (Company Name Removed - They Spammed This Forum and are Banned),and a bag of sprout seeds,including alfalfa,broccoli,radish seeds among them. I havented used them yet,but i'm thinking they're accessible  all year round.Maybe I'll try them this autumn season.

I'm starting to steam autumn/winter veggies now like rutabaga,which I like with frozen peas...

Anyone else like vegetables or sprouts ?

I have DNA ancestry in NW.EUROPE,where CELIAC'S known to be common.

DEC. '05 TESTED POSITIVE for the Celiac GENES HLA-DQ2 , and DQ3 SUBTYPE DQ8
Celiac Negative Endoscopy-Aug.'08 - Diagnosed with Hernia and GERD(Gastric Esophageal Reflux Disease),and prescribed Acid Reducing Medication. I hadn't eaten WHEAT for a year prior to the Endoscopy-maybe that's why result was Negative. I need TTG test to determine Active Celiac Status/

Disgnosed with Sjogren's 9/19/2008- Internist referred me to Eye Doctor and Rheumatologist.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Kassia

Kassia

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:55 PM

Anyone else like vegetables or sprouts ?

I'm a massive fan of roasted veggies (I still like steamed vegetables, of course). Roasting at about 450 with a bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper brings out all kinds of amazing flavors. They get caramelized and are sooo good. I'm convinced you haven't lived until you've had roasted Brussels sprouts. Also, when I say things like this, my mother pretends I was adopted.

#3 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:59 PM

I love them both ways!! Steamed and roasted :) I think I like them roasted better. But my new thing is smoothies. You can make smoothies with fruit and vegetables and they are sooooo good!! Talk about good for you!! Wow!! Love it!! 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#4 moniego

moniego

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:43 AM

I'm a massive fan of roasted veggies (I still like steamed vegetables, of course). Roasting at about 450 with a bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper brings out all kinds of amazing flavors. They get caramelized and are sooo good. I'm convinced you haven't lived until you've had roasted Brussels sprouts. Also, when I say things like this, my mother pretends I was adopted.

That's a good idea, I hadn't thought about using brussels sprouts with my roasted veggies.  I'll definitely try that this weekend, thanks!

#5 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:40 PM

I like to steam veggies in the microwave, in a glass pyrex dish with lid.  Just put in a few tablespoons of water, and microwave til done.  They used to sell steamer baskets you could put in them, but I can't find them anymore.  

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: