Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Steamed Vegetables And Sprouts

5 posts in this topic

I've been eating steamed vegetables all summer and they're great ; now I'm hooked. They're super quick to prepare,leave me feeling satiated and energized and help me get 5-8 cups of veggies a few days of the week.The veggies made my celiac gut  feel a whole world better too.I can't remember the site,but I liked their method of cutting vegetables into maybe half-inch pieces ,then steaming them for 3-5 minutes,especially cruciferous for female breast health-maybe it's good for all  types of cancer prevention.

You can also steam them in a little water too, in the pot,not necessary to have a steamer basket,necessarily.

I was also interested in sprouting  sprouts so I got a sprouter device at amazon.com,and a bag of sprout seeds,including alfalfa,broccoli,radish seeds among them. I havented used them yet,but i'm thinking they're accessible  all year round.Maybe I'll try them this autumn season.

I'm starting to steam autumn/winter veggies now like rutabaga,which I like with frozen peas...

Anyone else like vegetables or sprouts ?

Ads by Google:

Anyone else like vegetables or sprouts ?

I'm a massive fan of roasted veggies (I still like steamed vegetables, of course). Roasting at about 450 with a bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper brings out all kinds of amazing flavors. They get caramelized and are sooo good. I'm convinced you haven't lived until you've had roasted Brussels sprouts. Also, when I say things like this, my mother pretends I was adopted.

I love them both ways!! Steamed and roasted :) I think I like them roasted better. But my new thing is smoothies. You can make smoothies with fruit and vegetables and they are sooooo good!! Talk about good for you!! Wow!! Love it!! 

I'm a massive fan of roasted veggies (I still like steamed vegetables, of course). Roasting at about 450 with a bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper brings out all kinds of amazing flavors. They get caramelized and are sooo good. I'm convinced you haven't lived until you've had roasted Brussels sprouts. Also, when I say things like this, my mother pretends I was adopted.

That's a good idea, I hadn't thought about using brussels sprouts with my roasted veggies.  I'll definitely try that this weekend, thanks!

I like to steam veggies in the microwave, in a glass pyrex dish with lid.  Just put in a few tablespoons of water, and microwave til done.  They used to sell steamer baskets you could put in them, but I can't find them anymore.