25 replies to this topic

#16 ItchyAbby

ItchyAbby

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:06 AM

I went grain free/Paleo when I had to go low-iodine - it just kind of made sense. It was rough for the first bit. I was craving carbs like crazy (apparently this is normal - our body gets used to burning carbs for fuel and it takes a while for it to switch to burning fat instead). I am now grain-lite - I will eat a little rice or masa harina once or twice a week. If I bake, I use coconut flour, almond/other nut flours, tapioca, arrowroot and potato starch.

I feel pretty good without grains. I don't get bloaty after meals, even big meals. My sugar cravings are greatly diminished (though I have also cut out refined sugars so that makes sense). My digestion is great on account of all the vegetables I eat. (I eat MOUNTAINS of veggies daily).

Beware when starting Paleo: a lot of people start out just eating tons of meat and nuts. I did this in the beginning and felt just ugh. It is not Atkins, where you eat only meat and fat! You need to include lots of veggies.

Sample menu (this is what I ate yesterday):

Breakfast:

red cabbage braised with apples

homemade sausage patties

almond flour biscuit (my adaptation of the bun in the bowl - still a work in progress)

tea with hemp milk

Lunch:

squash soup

shredded chicken

celery sticks with almond butter

Snack:

1/2 avocado with lime juice

Dinner:

homemade beef stew

roasted carrots and parsnips

sauteed kale

big salad

So everyone will be a little different - it depends on what your goals are. Those trying to lose weight will want to limit the starches. Those trying to add weight will want to up the healthy fats. I am fairly active and my weight is fine so this amount of food works well for me. I also have found that my weight is much more steady grain free. The more grains I include the quicker my weight tends to creep up. Without grains I rarely step on the scale. If anything I tend to drop weight really quickly when I eat totally Paleo.

When I no longer need to eat LI, I will be having dairy again. I miss cheese!

Self Diagnosed with DH in June 2013

MD and ND confirmed shortly thereafter

Gluten free June 1, 2013

Low Iodine July 15, 2013 - (waiting for the rash to clear...)

Other symptoms: IBS-D gone, skin on face much clearer, anxiety gone, periods regulating and less painful, and oh! this one is new: I have not had a UTI since going gluten-free (used to get them several times a year)

Currently training to become a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner. I want to heal as many guts as I can!

Love Heals.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:02 PM

Patients is a virtue :) Dr apt is Jan 6th. Argggggggggggg!! 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#18 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:08 PM

I went grain free/Paleo when I had to go low-iodine - it just kind of made sense. It was rough for the first bit. I was craving carbs like crazy (apparently this is normal - our body gets used to burning carbs for fuel and it takes a while for it to switch to burning fat instead). I am now grain-lite - I will eat a little rice or masa harina once or twice a week. If I bake, I use coconut flour, almond/other nut flours, tapioca, arrowroot and potato starch.

I feel pretty good without grains. I don't get bloaty after meals, even big meals. My sugar cravings are greatly diminished (though I have also cut out refined sugars so that makes sense). My digestion is great on account of all the vegetables I eat. (I eat MOUNTAINS of veggies daily).

Beware when starting Paleo: a lot of people start out just eating tons of meat and nuts. I did this in the beginning and felt just ugh. It is not Atkins, where you eat only meat and fat! You need to include lots of veggies.

Sample menu (this is what I ate yesterday):

Breakfast:

red cabbage braised with apples

homemade sausage patties

almond flour biscuit (my adaptation of the bun in the bowl - still a work in progress)

tea with hemp milk

Lunch:

squash soup

shredded chicken

celery sticks with almond butter

Snack:

1/2 avocado with lime juice

Dinner:

homemade beef stew

roasted carrots and parsnips

sauteed kale

big salad

So everyone will be a little different - it depends on what your goals are. Those trying to lose weight will want to limit the starches. Those trying to add weight will want to up the healthy fats. I am fairly active and my weight is fine so this amount of food works well for me. I also have found that my weight is much more steady grain free. The more grains I include the quicker my weight tends to creep up. Without grains I rarely step on the scale. If anything I tend to drop weight really quickly when I eat totally Paleo.

When I no longer need to eat LI, I will be having dairy again. I miss cheese!

Ty for yor post!! Paleo is looking better and better .....

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#19 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:05 AM

I have a problem with corn and get similar bloating, but no way of really knowing what is happening in the small intestine.  Would be nice to be able to check some gage to find out.  This gage could say, "Corn is causing me a pain." or "Everything is fine in here!"  My gage would need to tell me a gluten reaction or other reaction also.

#20 cap6

cap6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:54 PM

Check out some of the paleo cookbook.  I bought two different ones and have been having sooo much fun making different things (and I have never been into cooking...at all!).   The books I have rely heavily on spices for kick and I have my partner in total awe at some of my creations!   

#21 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:15 PM

I bought my Daughter the Paleo Cook book last year.. I should borrow it ... I know she does pretty good on Paleo But she says it is a pricy diet ... I had a starter paleo book but I don't have a clue where it is...

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#22 mamafish

mamafish

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:24 AM

My story with grain-free/paleo... I think it *really* depends on the person.  We have tried several different approaches all trying to figure out the best diet for my son.  I went through a lot of them with him because I nursed him for 3 years.  We've also tried some different things since then. 

End result, he does very well grain free, so long as he gets lots of squash and sweet potatoes.  Adding in things like rice isn't a problem, but he could happily be largely carnivorous.

I feel like *hell* eating that much protein, meat protein in particular.  And if I eat too many nuts (and too many for me is more than about 1/8c a day), I get roaring estrogen dominance problems (already an issue, but nuts have a ton of plant estrogens, and 1/4 c of nuts a day for a month changed my very regular cycle from 30 days to 19.  19!!, and raving emotional/mood swings.  Went back to normal immediately when I went off the nuts, and recurred when I tried again because I'm a scientist and an idiot).  So for me, nut flours aren't a good replacement for grains.  Fats are good, but too much, and I think my fat digestion gets overloaded.  And if I use veggies to fill up all that food space, I still need to be careful about estrogen load.  Bottom line, for me it's a lot easier to have at least some grains, and I feel better eating them.

I am all for people experimenting with diet, because I think the right one can have a really profound effect on quality of life.  But after my own experience, I really resist the idea that any diet is a fit for everyone.

#23 Renaye

Renaye

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:43 PM

I wonder if going grain free would help with constipation?  I am already off of eggs, gluten, peanuts and dairy. 

Renaye

Positive DGP IgG & DGP IgA, negative biopsy, HLA typing unable to interpret, sicca syndrome, positive ANA, low WBC count, intolerant to peanuts, eggs, dairy, IBS-C, GERD.

#24 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:07 PM

Hmmmm I know I kinda have a problem with constipation once in a while so I use Nuts. But if your already eating alot of them... I don't know! 

Mamafish,

I thought Rice was a grain. But then I have no clue... Really I don't lol 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#25 mamafish

mamafish

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:47 PM

I thought Rice was a grain. But then I have no clue... Really I don't lol 

It totally is :).  One that makes me feel much better to eat, and seemed optional for my kiddo.  I think it really varies person to person.

#26 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:03 PM

So rice Is GRAIN free? Whoo hoo for me!! I have still not gone grain free!! Because I have been only gluten-free for a few months. I am having a hard time with corn and OMG horrid!! I know my prob is with corn! My prob is so much better w/o corn witch means absolutely zero boxed, canned , bagged , bottled , any thing!!!

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: