5 replies to this topic

#1 greenbeanie

greenbeanie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:52 AM

My four-year-old daughter was diagnosed with celiac three months ago, and she is doing great. So far we've avoided gluten-free oats too. However, her preschool just revised their snack menu to make everything gluten free for the whole class, which is wonderful of them, and they've added gluten-free oats to their proposed menu once a week. Their plan is to serve actual oatmeal, not processed oat-containing foods. They know about cc issues with normal oats and plan to use dedicated brands.

Is it too soon to try oats? How long did you wait before trying them? She rarely ate oats before so she doesn't miss them, but her preschool has an excellent nutrition program with requirements to serve a variety of whole grains. They are already serving lots of brown rice and quinoa. I am so appreciative of all their efforts and don't want to be unnecessarily fearful about oats, but my daughter is doing so well that I'm scared to mess up her recovery. Any thoughts? Should we try oats at home first and then go along with the menu as long as she doesn't have any obvious reaction? 

Daughter: Positive tTG-IgA, DGP-IgA, and DGP-IgG. Celiac confirmed by biopsy in June 2013, at age four. Clear gastrointestinal, behavioral, and neurological/sensory symptoms since very early infancy, even when exclusively breastfeeding.

Me: Diagnosis still unclear after extensive testing: Atypical wheat allergy, severe NCGI, or false negative celiac tests? Doctors disagree.Gluten challenge caused acute gastritis, esophagitis, and angioedema that lasted 4 months and was eventually determined to be a sulfite allergy. Gluten light for 15 years, then gluten free since June 2013.
Long history of eczema, chronic diarrhea, steatorrhea, ataxia, peripheral neuropathy, infertility, chronic insomnia, low cholesterol, vitamin deficiencies, and joint pain. Improved greatly within six months of going gluten-free.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mommy2krj

mommy2krj

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:40 AM

I haven't tried them yet either. Having just started in July with all of this....they make me nervous. But.....my little guy is still having issues with his stomach. :( I think I may have to remove dairy from his diet for a bit and see if that helps. *sigh*

I was hoping to try the oats soon since we're going into fall now and winter will be here and we used to eat oatmeal all the time in the winter. Guess we shall see what happens.

I would do a trial at home (I really, REALLY wish they'd all have small sample packs!) and see if she reacts or not before doing the trial at school. How awesome that they're doing that! Good luck!

#3 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:14 AM

I haven't tried them since I reacted shortly after my diagnosis in March.  Does she react to quinoa?  I wasn't able to tolerate quinoa or oatmeal.  So, if she's okay with quinoa, I'd try the oatmeal.  

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 greenbeanie

greenbeanie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:10 AM

Thanks for your responses. My daughter is fine with quinoa and has been eating it since she was a toddler (long before her diagnosis), so that's encouraging. She sometimes gets a tummy ache from buckwheat.

It turns out that another parent had a concern about the oatmeal snack too, so it sounds like they may just replace that menu item anyhow. That would be a relief - I'd really rather wait a few more months before testing it. When I do, we'll definitely try them at home first. 

Daughter: Positive tTG-IgA, DGP-IgA, and DGP-IgG. Celiac confirmed by biopsy in June 2013, at age four. Clear gastrointestinal, behavioral, and neurological/sensory symptoms since very early infancy, even when exclusively breastfeeding.

Me: Diagnosis still unclear after extensive testing: Atypical wheat allergy, severe NCGI, or false negative celiac tests? Doctors disagree.Gluten challenge caused acute gastritis, esophagitis, and angioedema that lasted 4 months and was eventually determined to be a sulfite allergy. Gluten light for 15 years, then gluten free since June 2013.
Long history of eczema, chronic diarrhea, steatorrhea, ataxia, peripheral neuropathy, infertility, chronic insomnia, low cholesterol, vitamin deficiencies, and joint pain. Improved greatly within six months of going gluten-free.

#5 Fourmonkeysjumping

Fourmonkeysjumping

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:57 PM

My husband and son (and now daughter, as of today) have been eating Bob's Red Mill gluten-free oats and Trader Joes gluten-free oats with no reactions for some time.  I make loads of granola bars and oatmeal cookies and we haven't had a single reaction from any of them.  Maybe the oats have gotten safer since some of you tried them?  My DH was very hesitant to try them at first, but now he has no issue.

#6 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:36 AM

Could be, but I have both those brands in my house.  My husband can eat them without a reaction.  It appears to be just me.   :(

I'm hoping to try them soon.  

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: