#1 JosieToo

JosieToo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:46 AM

Hi all,

I'm meeting a dietician tomorrow. This will be my first meeting with a dietician since being diagnosed with Celiac. I've put together this list of questions for her, but wondered if anyone else had any suggestions for good questions to ask (or that you might like an answer to!). Here's my list! Feedback appreciated.

• Are there any foods that are known to aid in healing of the intestinal lining in Celiacs? If not, are there any foods in particular that are generally known to aid in healing? Are there any foods known to reduce inflammation associated with Celiac Disease?
  • What nutrient and mineral deficiencies do I need to be particularly aware of and what foods should I be eating to guard against them? What about probiotics or digestive enzymes?
  • Are there any vitamin or mineral supplements you recommend?
  • We are hoping to try and have a baby in the near future. I would like to make sure my body is as healthy as possible. Given the larger-than-normal risks for nutrient deficiencies due to malabsorption from Celiac, and lack of eating fortified foods like pasta, what foods should I be increasing in my diet? Should I be considering any gluten-free supplements? If so, which do you recommend? If I become pregnant, are there any other dietary changes I should make at that time?
  • How many times a week should I be eating “safe” grains like quinoa and brown rice?
  • I understand that a large number of people with Celiac disease develop temporary lactose intolerance as a result of the damage to their stomach lining. Is this something I need to be concerned about if I don’t seem to have any symptoms? What are your recommendations in this regard? Should I be tested for this?
  • I’m concerned about weight gain. Is this something that I need to be worried about if I’m eating a healthy diet with a limited amount of processed gluten-free food? Is it likely I would gain weight just given normal nutrient absorption I would expect to experience as I start to heal?
  • I’ve read that other foods like corn and soy can have a similar effect on your body to wheat. Is this the case? If so, will I put myself at further risk if I continue to eat these foods?
  • In your experience, is there any merit to the idea of “gluten cross reactivity” with other foods? From what I understand, testing for this is highly controversial and there is little scientific evidence to back this theory.
  • In your experience, is there anything to the “rotation diet” as a mechanism to prevent additional food allergies from developing?
  • What’s your position on smoothies? Good for fast absorption, or lacking important fibre and too much sugar going too quickly into the bloodstream?
  • How do you feel about oats (certified gluten-free) and other grains in early stages of healing from Celiac?
  • Is being hungry often a symptom of malabsorption?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 notme!

notme!

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,061 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:28 AM

that seems like a good list, josie - i am curious as to how many answers you will get from him/her.  i was recommended to a dietician/nutritionist but it was going to be like 3 weeks before i could get in for an appointment.  i had to feed myself in between that time and then the day before my appt, they postponed it!  by that time, i was already here and learned on the way.....  so, i cancelled the appointment.  but i am still curious!  let us know what they say/how well versed they are in regards to celiac :)  good luck!

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 JosieToo

JosieToo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:34 PM

that seems like a good list, josie - i am curious as to how many answers you will get from him/her.  i was recommended to a dietician/nutritionist but it was going to be like 3 weeks before i could get in for an appointment.  i had to feed myself in between that time and then the day before my appt, they postponed it!  by that time, i was already here and learned on the way.....  so, i cancelled the appointment.  but i am still curious!  let us know what they say/how well versed they are in regards to celiac :)  good luck!

Thanks. She's one of my country's leading dieticians with a specialty in Celiac Disease, so I'm hopeful she'll be knowledgeable.

#4 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:47 PM

Thanks. She's one of my country's leading dieticians with a specialty in Celiac Disease, so I'm hopeful she'll be knowledgeable.

Oh, that sounds interesting.  Let us know how it goes.

D

#5 cap6

cap6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:59 PM

My first question would be ~ How many celiacs have you counseled.  You said she specializes so you may be ahead of the ball game there.  My experience was being handed a stack of papers from the internet. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: