8 replies to this topic

#1 CandyP0268

CandyP0268

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:53 AM

can anyone help me gei started isnt glutten in everything  and how do i make sure things are gluiien free

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Yum!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,810 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:01 AM

Here is a good place to start

http://www.celiac.co...ewbie-info-101/

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

Someone told me I was delusional.  I almost fell off my unicorn.

fantasy-unicorn-15.gif

#3 CandyP0268

CandyP0268

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:11 AM

Here is a good place to start

http://www.celiac.co...ewbie-info-101/

thank you so much i need all the help i can get  i know you dont know me but i hope you are doing well

#4 irisadrienne

irisadrienne

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:44 AM

can anyone help me gei started isnt glutten in everything  and how do i make sure things are gluiien free

There is a great book  by Jax Lowell, (a woman) ,called "the gluten free bible".She was diagnosed later in life and she kind of walks you through the experience. In the back she has pages in different languages that explain your problem when dining out. They are very handy.

#5 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:17 PM

Not everything has gluten.  I eat:

Meat

Vegetables

nuts

Fruits

Wild rice

That about summarizes my diet.  Some can eat rice, millet, corn, and buckwheat.

#6 Celtic Queen

Celtic Queen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:37 PM

I mentioned this in another thread, but I suggest going to your local library and checking out any books they have on Celiac Disease.  That will help you better understand things you can and can't eat.  Also get prepared to become an expert food label reader :D

Blood tested 8-11 positive, Biopsy 9-11 negative (long story, most gastro drs. are morons)

gluten-free 7-11, Dairy Free (mostly) 8-13 - Everything but butter.  Can't live life without butter....

DS - negative blood test, just diagnosed with ADD and other learning disorders, DNA test positive - high risk

Issues related to gluten: depression, low iron, hair loss, positive ana test for lupus, low vitamin D, headache, sinusitis, environmental allergies, brain fog, GI problems, weight gain....the list goes on....

#7 Luvs2read

Luvs2read

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:40 PM

It seems that way at first: that gluten is in everything! I am fifty days into this and treat myself to all good things that are gluten free. I love almonds and good fruit. I like celery with peanut butter. There are so many good things but not in a box usually! Meat is good: but not hot dogs or things with fillers. If you can meet someone else w celiac and go visit them at their house it is so helpful. A great tip I got was label condiments gluten-free for gluten free or no if not. Good luck! Read all you can ! I read every day instead of tv to learn about gluten free living.

#8 eers03

eers03

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:58 PM

It's okay to feel overwhelmed.  I think most of us do upon diagnosis.  I know I did.  Sometimes I still do.  This forum is one of the greatest resources for questions you could possibly find so congrats on being here!  

Diagnosis 11/2012

#9 pacosurfer

pacosurfer

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:06 AM

I mentioned this in another thread, but I suggest going to your local library and checking out any books they have on Celiac Disease.  That will help you better understand things you can and can't eat.  Also get prepared to become an expert food label reader :D

I am a librarian, and I was just diagnosed with gluten intolerance. I am doing my best to get as many celiac/gluten intolerance books in the library. If your library doesn't carry them, ask them to buy some. This is an emerging topic and librarians need to be educated on that!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: