This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Sick From Evergood Sausages Or Dove Dark Chocolate Bar

vallene45

vallene45 Apprentice

Hi, I ate evergood sausages last night and a dark chocolate dove bar for dessert and got really sick later on, evergood has gluten free in big letters on the back of the package. We looked up dove with our gluten free app and it said dove is okay? I went to erergood's website and i couldn't find any information about the gluten in their products. Anyone out there have any information about this? Thanks for any help on this.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

Which sausage was it? I went to their website and noticed some of their sausage contains wheat. If the one you had didn't list wheat as an ingredient, maybe it was made on the same equipment and was CC'ed.

bartfull Rising Star

Oh yeah, if you can find it, Mulay's sausage is gluten-free and it's really good. I get it at my health food store.

vallene45 Apprentice

Which sausage was it? I went to their website and noticed some of their sausage contains wheat. If the one you had didn't list wheat as an ingredient, maybe it was made on the same equipment and was CC'ed.

It was the bockwurst, where did you find the ingredient list?

vallene45 Apprentice

It was the bockwurst, where did you find the ingredient list?

I feel dumb, i found the ingredients for the sausage, and it doesn't seem to have wheat in it, and dove is listed everywhere as being gluten free! This is where i get confused, i had a baked potato with cheese i shredded, and tomatoes from my own garden to have with the sausags, and i am still sick from exactly what? I feel that i can't eat at all sometimes, i just can't win.

kareng Grand Master

How long have you been doing this gluten-free thing?  Its possible you were reacting to something from earlier in the day.  Or it had nothing to do with gluten, , like a virus or food poisoning.  Dairy can be hard to digest, especially while healing.  Did you use a colander that has been used for wheat pasta to wash and drain the tomatoes?  It can be a lot of different things.

vallene45 Apprentice

How long have you been doing this gluten-free thing?  Its possible you were reacting to something from earlier in the day.  Or it had nothing to do with gluten, , like a virus or food poisoning.  Dairy can be hard to digest, especially while healing.  Did you use a colander that has been used for wheat pasta to wash and drain the tomatoes?  It can be a lot of different things.

it has been about 2 years for me, that is why i get so annoyed when this happens. I am very careful and have done a lot of research, but obviously not enough, i guess.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

come dance with me Enthusiast

It could be from shared equipment if they make both.  Or it could be something totally different.  I got sick last weekend, came on suddenly then again yesterday, no idea what it was from but everyone here ate the same food and I'm not coeliac, my daughter is, and she didn't get sick so I'm certain it isn't food related. 

dilettantesteph Collaborator

Some celiacs react to lower levels of gluten than others.  Does this happen to you often?  You may be one that needs to be more careful.  You may have to avoid gluten-free food made in facilities that also process wheat.  Some of us do, and some don't.  You may want to buy from companies who regularly test to make sure that their products contain less than 5 ppm gluten.  Have you had either of these products before?  

I am extremely sensitive.  One thing I do is to try to only add one new food in a week.  I eat only a small amount the first time so that if I am going to react, it won't be a serious reaction.  Then I have larger amounts and if that's O.K., that food goes into my safe list.  Most difficult is when something changes with a food in my safe list and then it can take several tries to figure out which one is making me sick.  

In your case it seems more likely to be the sausage.  I would wait until I get better, try the Dove bar again, and hopefully be OK.  Then a week later I would try the sausage again.  Only this time I would have a quarter of a sausage or something like that.  I'd have only enough to know that it had been the cause, and not enough to make me feel terrible.  Then I'd try a different sausage next time.  Maybe I'd choose one from a gluten free facility.

I hope that this helps.

vallene45 Apprentice

Some celiacs react to lower levels of gluten than others.  Does this happen to you often?  You may be one that needs to be more careful.  You may have to avoid gluten-free food made in facilities that also process wheat.  Some of us do, and some don't.  You may want to buy from companies who regularly test to make sure that their products contain less than 5 ppm gluten.  Have you had either of these products before?  

I am extremely sensitive.  One thing I do is to try to only add one new food in a week.  I eat only a small amount the first time so that if I am going to react, it won't be a serious reaction.  Then I have larger amounts and if that's O.K., that food goes into my safe list.  Most difficult is when something changes with a food in my safe list and then it can take several tries to figure out which one is making me sick.  

In your case it seems more likely to be the sausage.  I would wait until I get better, try the Dove bar again, and hopefully be OK.  Then a week later I would try the sausage again.  Only this time I would have a quarter of a sausage or something like that.  I'd have only enough to know that it had been the cause, and not enough to make me feel terrible.  Then I'd try a different sausage next time.  Maybe I'd choose one from a gluten free facility.

I hope that this helps.

Thanks, i actually do just what you described. I try to be upbeat about all of this, but all of the continual experimimentation with foods just gets me down sometimes, just when you think you have it under control, you get sick. I am not very happy that this is the rest of my life, and what really irks me is that is from food that has been chemically altered and screwed around with, what would the government do if All of the american populace  became gluten-free intolerant or celiac?

cyclinglady Grand Master

Well, it might be the sausage.  I can only have fresh -- one without any nitrates etc.  Same goes for hot dogs or bacon.  I don't buy lunch meats either if they have preservatives (and most do).  You just have to freeze it within a few days if you open the package.  I vomit like clock-work if I eat a regular dog!  So you might have developed an intolerance to nitrates or the other additives to preserve it.  

I eat Dove candy and it is gluten free.  I think I'll un-wrap one now! :lol:

GottaSki Mentor

My vote is preservatives -- some of the more natural and labeled gluten free brands have very high nitrate levels...but because the nitrate is in the form of celery based items they are allowed to label them - "no added nitrates".

Perhaps try another brand of sausage?

Evergood Sausage Company Newbie

Hi, I ate evergood sausages last night and a dark chocolate dove bar for dessert and got really sick later on, evergood has gluten free in big letters on the back of the package. We looked up dove with our gluten free app and it said dove is okay? I went to erergood's website and i couldn't find any information about the gluten in their products. Anyone out there have any information about this? Thanks for any help on this.

All of our products are gluten free with the exception of our British Style Bangers (bread crumbs). If you still have the packaging please send over the code dates. Thanks

kareng Grand Master

All of our products are gluten free with the exception of our British Style Bangers (bread crumbs). If you still have the packaging please send over the code dates. Thanks

Do you test them for gluten? If so, to what level? Thanks for helping to clear this up.

How nice to have a representative of the company come on to help!  Can you tell us about what precautions you take to prevent cross contamination between the gluten containing sausages and the gluten free sausages, please?

I try to be upbeat about all of this, but all of the continual experimimentation with foods just gets me down sometimes, just when you think you have it under control, you get sick. I am not very happy that this is the rest of my life, 

I can totally relate.  It can be hard to stay upbeat.  I remember how sick I was before the diagnosis, and how much better I am now, and that makes it a lot easier.  I don't know how long you have been at this.  It's been about 6 years for me.  As time goes on, I get better at it and I get less sick less often.

vallene45 Apprentice

i do not still have the packaging, but the sausages were the white ones, the bockwurst.

neal Rookie

ice cream is not good for anyone's digestive tract. It is cold, and is made with sugar and milk. I would not consider it  food at all, especially for a celiac. I have no idea why there is a line through everything I type

kareng Grand Master

ice cream is not good for anyone's digestive tract. It is cold, and is made with sugar and milk. I would not consider it  food at all, especially for a celiac. I have no idea why there is a line through everything I type

There is a long box at the top of your reply ( or someone told me its on the bottom on some browsers). It has Bold, italics, cross thru. You probably hit that.

As for your comment- cold and dairy and sugar do not bother my digestive tract. Of course, I don't eat a gallon at once or even eat it very often.

Archived