7 replies to this topic

#1 Celtic Queen

Celtic Queen

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:03 AM

So, I was talking to my friend the other day and she mentioned making chicken and dumplings for her girls.  That made me start craving some for myself.  I haven't made any since going gluten-free, so I don't have a recipe.  Any of you out there have a good gluten-free chicken and dumpling recipe you can share?

With fall coming I'm starting to crave warm, hearty dishes like this.

Blood tested 8-11 positive, Biopsy 9-11 negative (long story, most gastro drs. are morons)

gluten-free 7-11, Dairy Free (mostly) 8-13 - Everything but butter.  Can't live life without butter....

DS - negative blood test, just diagnosed with ADD and other learning disorders, DNA test positive - high risk

Issues related to gluten: depression, low iron, hair loss, positive ana test for lupus, low vitamin D, headache, sinusitis, environmental allergies, brain fog, GI problems, weight gain....the list goes on....

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:55 AM

We have thought about making them with Bisquick.  I have made chicken pot pie with it as a biscuit topping and its pretty good.

http://www.bettycroc...ee-2e273fabab53

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#3 Celtic Queen

Celtic Queen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:19 AM

Thanks Kareng.  That recipe looks great and super easy.  Just what I needed.

Blood tested 8-11 positive, Biopsy 9-11 negative (long story, most gastro drs. are morons)

gluten-free 7-11, Dairy Free (mostly) 8-13 - Everything but butter.  Can't live life without butter....

DS - negative blood test, just diagnosed with ADD and other learning disorders, DNA test positive - high risk

Issues related to gluten: depression, low iron, hair loss, positive ana test for lupus, low vitamin D, headache, sinusitis, environmental allergies, brain fog, GI problems, weight gain....the list goes on....

#4 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:33 AM

I had been wanting to make this for a while, thanks :)

#5 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:10 AM

If you don't like the chicken pot pie version with the Bisquick topping, just blob on mashed potatoes making a shepard's pie.  Yum!  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:18 AM

I regularly make it with dumplings as I prefer it to Bisquik. My Mom recently told me she would not have been able to tell they were gluten free. Will dig around for the recipe (though I have really modified it)
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#7 mbrookes

mbrookes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:22 PM

love2travel, if you find the recipe, I really want it. Also, tell us about your modifications. That will save me the trouble of experimenting. I love chicken and dumplings, but have not attempted that since going gluten-free six years ago.

#8 Celtic Queen

Celtic Queen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:53 AM

I made the Bisquick recipe Friday and it turned out pretty good.  The comments suggested adding extra broth to the recipe to keep it from being doughy and I agree.  But the taste was good and it was really easy.  I'd like to try your recipe, love2travel, because it sounds really yummy too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: