Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Gluten Free Vegan Bread Machine Success?

• Please log in to reply

4 replies to this topic

#1 kellington79

kellington79

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:16 AM

So, I'd like to make bread in my partner's Toastmaster bread machine and I'm feeling really overwhelmed. I am vegan and wondering if anyone has had success substituting for eggs while using Bob's Red Mill Wonderful Bread Mix. It says to follow manufacturer's instructions for substituting eggs, but there are no non-egg substitutes in the manual, just carton eggs substituted for fresh. If it was whole eggs, I'd just try using ground chia or flax seeds. But it wants a whole egg plus 3/4 cup of egg whites, and I have no idea how much that would be. If anyone else has had success with substituting using this mix, I'd love to piggyback off that! :)

Also, does anyone know what size loaf this mix makes? It's not on the package. (I'll call them if I have to, but figured I'd ask with my other questions here first.)

Lastly, does this really cook on the regular and not gluten free setting?

Yes, I've searched the forums, but not found these specific answers. Help, please.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kellington79

kellington79

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:35 AM

Well, I figured out the loaf size anyway. If it had been written any bigger it would have bitten me. Still no idea about the eggs though (and dubious about the cycle).

#3 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:58 AM

Here's a link showing "cups" vs. eggs:

http://whatscookinga...gEquivalent.htm

But, 1 egg, plus 1/2 cup egg whites is a lot.  I'd just just whole eggs or an egg replacer (for vegan or allergies).  Not sure about the bread maichine.  It does a lot of kneading and gluten free bread doesn't require a lot of kneading.  It bakes more like t a quick bread (e.g. banana bread).  It might be easier just to hand mix it.  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 Celtic Queen

Celtic Queen

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:07 AM

I am not sure about the eggs, but I have a couple of gluten free bread recipes that cook on the regular cycle, instead of the gluten free.  I think I would go by whatever the manufacturer said on the box.

Blood tested 8-11 positive, Biopsy 9-11 negative (long story, most gastro drs. are morons)

gluten-free 7-11, Dairy Free (mostly) 8-13 - Everything but butter.  Can't live life without butter....

DS - negative blood test, just diagnosed with ADD and other learning disorders, DNA test positive - high risk

Issues related to gluten: depression, low iron, hair loss, positive ana test for lupus, low vitamin D, headache, sinusitis, environmental allergies, brain fog, GI problems, weight gain....the list goes on....

#5 kellington79

kellington79

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:52 PM

I am not sure about the eggs, but I have a couple of gluten free bread recipes that cook on the regular cycle, instead of the gluten free.  I think I would go by whatever the manufacturer said on the box.

Thanks, that's good to know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: