Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Any National Chains That Serve gluten-free Breakfast?

• Please log in to reply

14 replies to this topic

#1 mateo2099

mateo2099

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:42 PM

Any National chains that serve gluten-free Breakfast?    I'm talking real breakfast including, but not limited to gluten-free waffles or pancakes.  I hate eating breakfast out because I'm tired of being relegated to eggs and bacon while watching my loved ones down a large stack of pancakes.  I can't believe all the gluten free pizza and burger options out there and no chains have picked up on pancakes or waffles. 

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:59 PM

We can't/won't even eat anywhere for breakfast because of cross contamination issues.  A chef told us that even some oils they use for eggs/hashbrowns/bacon has gluten in it.  He offered to cook our eggs in a skillet using butter.  We felt comfortable with him, but that's rare (at least in our experience).  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:35 PM

Some chains also use pancake batter in omelet preparation to make them fluffier.  It is written in the description so check carefully on all egg mixture breakfasts.

Like cyclinglady, I don't eat breakfast out or any meals out if it can be avoided.  CC issues are everywhere except in my own kitchen.

Colleen 

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

turkey-hiding.gif

#4 Darissa

Darissa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:51 PM

I have never seen one, but would love to know also if there is one that exist!  We have to be so very careful also with gluten-free and cross contact. But I would love a restaurant that does it right! We have a local restaurant here that does pancakes, but they are not a chain.

#5 mbrookes

mbrookes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:50 PM

Waffle House (depending on the location) can be terrific. They don't have gluten-free waffles or pancakes, but will change gloves, clean the grill and use a clean pan to make eggs, bacon or sausage, and hash browns.I have never had a problem with breakfast there. I know they are not national, but that is one good thing (among many) in the South.

#6 Darissa

Darissa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:57 PM

Wow thanks for the info on Waffle House. I would of never of even thought of trying that. Thanks for the info. I will have to talk to our local one and see how they could do things safely.

#7 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:15 PM

i have not a good opinion on waffle house, even before i was gluten-free.  cleanliness was an issue, and that's not good.  and they always mixed up/messed up orders, so i would be worried because the people preparing your food have to pay attention to all the details.  not just my local waffle house, i have been to them all over the country.  just beware and do your homework  :)

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

#8 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:43 AM

I believe that the Original Pancake House has gluten-free pancakes but they use Pamela's which has almonds in it, so not for us.  Plus I can't do dairy or eggs so they seriously have nothing for me there.  They may be a local chain.  Not sure.

#9 mateo2099

mateo2099

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:30 AM

I've had Waffle House several times and they have cleaned the grill and switched gloves on request - very accommodating.  But unfortunately, no pancakes.  I guess since its batter-based, they would have to worry about cross contamination.  I've heard of Original Pancake House, but unfortunately there is only one or two in Texas.  I need to buy a franchise! 

#10 cap6

cap6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:54 PM

My biggest concern about any b'fast out would be the cross contamination.  Breakfast anywhere is always such a rushed event.  Seems like errors would be too easy.   

#11 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:32 PM

The only three places I have eaten breakfast out  were: a totally dedicated G F bakery/cafe in Latham,NY run by my friend Sherry Lynn, Friedman's Lunch in NYC (they are great! G F bagels and lox and cream cheese, oh my!) and a local cafe near me (Jensen Beach, FL) that

does breakfast in a skillet. G F toast from a dedicated toaster. No CC, no worries.

I wrote about all 3 on Find Me Gluten Free.

Someday, I dream of places that can do right by us--breakfast, lunch and dinner.

It's coming, guys. Hold fast to the dream!

We do need to buy a franchise--a gluten free franchise.  :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#12 cap6

cap6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:00 PM

The only three places I have eaten breakfast out  were: a totally dedicated G F bakery/cafe in Latham,NY run by my friend Sherry Lynn, Friedman's Lunch in NYC (they are great! G F bagels and lox and cream cheese, oh my!) and a local cafe near me (Jensen Beach, FL) that

does breakfast in a skillet. G F toast from a dedicated toaster. No CC, no worries.

I wrote about all 3 on Find Me Gluten Free.

Someday, I dream of places that can do right by us--breakfast, lunch and dinner.

It's coming, guys. Hold fast to the dream!

We do need to buy a franchise--a gluten free franchise.  :)

Hope you live close cause I'll be there on a regular basis.  I used to love b'fast out. 

#13 tommysmommy

tommysmommy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:05 PM

Going out for breakfast is a rarity but believe it or not, I go to Chick-fil-A... order a bacon/egg platter with hash browns & yogurt with strawberries (no granola) & if u ask them to change gloves, it is a safe bet. Note they don't cook anything on their grill except eggs, the hash browns are cooked in a fryer that is only shared with fries (which are also gluten-free). It's not pancakes, but it works.

#14 i3oogieDown

i3oogieDown

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:49 PM

I had good luck at Denny's the other day... I really miss greasy spoon diner food sometimes, but this was a decent substitute.  The eggs/omelets and hash browns were fine.  They have a pdf allegergen list on their website, and I spoke with the server before taking the plunge.  I'll admit I was scared because of the cross-contamination potential, but that was a couple of days ago... I'm feeling good.

#15 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:08 PM

Not fast food at all - but resorts do breakfast well. Haven't run into pancakes or waffles but I rarely out those out, anyway...

I'm excited about Chik-Fil-A being an option!
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: