28 replies to this topic

#16 Chrisz1000

Chrisz1000

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:46 AM

I had a rash on my face since approximately 4 years ago and prior to going gluten free. A butterfly effect red rash which didn't itch until maybe 2 years with the rash when it suddenly started to get redder and brighter and drier it flaked and itched. It seemed to get really bad after a pie and peas and a pint of lager on my lunch break :)

I've now been gluten free for nearly 8 months and the rash is still there but is much, much lighter in shade. Its a barely noticable rosey cheek type of colour. It flares up in heat or with excercise, but never to the extent when I was consuming gluten.

I'm hoping from reading all of the above posts, that it will eventually disappear.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 kmarie82

kmarie82

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:02 AM

My DH went away within a couple weeks of going gluten-free in June. My evil future FIL put wheat flour in my foods several times about a month later and DH came back with a vengeance. In September, I began dapsone and it cleared up perfectly. At the end of my first month, I couldn't afford the second box. Two weeks later I was CC'd. I got the second box and it began to clear again right away. This past week I was CC'd several days in a row. The rash is worse than ever and my doctor says since it's back, he won't prescribe any more dapsone.
I just want this gone. I can't wear a bra or long pants. My nipples and hands are bloody. The spots on the backs of my legs now look as though something has chewed on me.
I'm as strictly gluten-free as I know and can afford, and it makes me so depressed when I read this might just get worse or that it might have other triggers.
It's been great to see the success stories as well. Gives me a little hope where so often I feel there is none.

#18 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:48 AM

You really need to be 100% gluten free.  You don't actually have to buy special food.  You have to eat cleanly and prepare your own meals.  Have you read the Newbie 101 thread yet?  We can most likely help you clean up your diet and help you avoid cc issues.

Colleen

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

gingerbread-man-smiley-emoticon.gif

#19 JustCricket

JustCricket

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:38 PM

I had a rash on my face since approximately 4 years ago and prior to going gluten free. A butterfly effect red rash which didn't itch until maybe 2 years with the rash when it suddenly started to get redder and brighter and drier it flaked and itched. It seemed to get really bad after a pie and peas and a pint of lager on my lunch break :)

I've now been gluten free for nearly 8 months and the rash is still there but is much, much lighter in shade. Its a barely noticable rosey cheek type of colour. It flares up in heat or with excercise, but never to the extent when I was consuming gluten.

I'm hoping from reading all of the above posts, that it will eventually disappear.

What do you mean, "butterfly effect?" Where is the rash appearing, exactly?

Edit: I'm going to include this link, because I'm not sure when I'll get back to this thread, and I'd hate for you to wait for an answer to why I responded as I did. It's because Lupus has a characteristic butterfly rash across the face, and if you have Lupus, I hope you'll be able to get treatment, ASAP.

http://www.mayoclini...ECTION=symptoms

Initial suspicion of IBS. Horrible illness, led me to try Low FODMAPs diet. After not having gluten for 3 weeks and seeming to get better, and being tempted by chocolate chip cookies, I had about 2, and ended up very ill again. 

Went to GI doc for initial appointment, scheduled endoscopy and colonoscopy, but didn't follow through, due to lack of funds.

Gluten-free (with occasional mishaps) since 7/17/13.

Daughter was tested 11/16/13 - awaiting results.

#20 mendylou

mendylou

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:00 PM

I would really like to hear from some folks for whom their DH went "away" or cleared up, or very nearly did so. I understand that it may show up from time to time, what with getting cc'd occasionally or other sensitivities. I just really want to hear some the individual stories of DH and how you all got "through" it or live with it.

It may be that I could use a little hope. Lately, I have just started thinking that the rash will be something that I live with forever. It's not nearly as bad as it was but it's still migrating all over my torso, sometimes nearly disappearing, only to spread again. I have not been rash free in months. The itch is not the crazy making itch anymore, and I no longer get blisters, big or small, so there's that. It's not getting worse (which it had been, rapidly, for the first 6 months of this year).

But I also realized that maybe the folks for whom it has cleared may not come here anymore! :)

I have been gluten free for 3 yrs, I have not been DH clear for at least 7 yrs.  It is not as severe as it used to be, but I have never been DH free.  Just when I think it is clearing up I have another eruption even though I can not connect it to any specific food item.  I feel I must be getting glutened unknowingly or come in contact w/iodine which I know will worsen the situation. I have probably accumulated the antibodies under my skin for a lifetime so it will probably take a second lifetime for me to be rid of them.  I have had skin conditions my entire life and did not make the connection until 3 yrs ago.  I am 61 and remember going to the doctor w/head lesions when I was in high school

#21 Chrisz1000

Chrisz1000

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:11 AM

What do you mean, "butterfly effect?" Where is the rash appearing, exactly?

Edit: I'm going to include this link, because I'm not sure when I'll get back to this thread, and I'd hate for you to wait for an answer to why I responded as I did. It's because Lupus has a characteristic butterfly rash across the face, and if you have Lupus, I hope you'll be able to get treatment, ASAP.

http://www.mayoclini...ECTION=symptoms

JustCricket, thanks for the reply! And my apologies for not getting back to you. I took a break from work over November in an effort to recuperate from a very trying year and so I haven't been in front of a computer until this week.

So butterfly effect is a mistype, sorry - butterfly effect is a dominoe effect type phenomena, not a symptom! I did mean to say it is a butterfly shaped pattern just like it says on the Lupus page you provided. The other symptoms I still suffer are:

Fatigue
Headaches, memory loss

So not all of the typical Lupus  symptoms afflict me but I will be mentioning this to my Gastro consultant on Friday. So thanks!

On the DH subject I have noticed that, having taken 3 weeks off work, the DH did subside across my face significantly. On returning to work it has come back quite strong again (but not as strong as when I was on Gluten).

So... there may be a link to something at my office or something caused by work (stress?). This is for me personally.

#22 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:11 AM

Stress would be my guess.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#23 ItchyAbby

ItchyAbby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:25 PM

I second the stress guess. Even small amounts of stress appear to affect my DH.

Self Diagnosed with DH in June 2013

MD and ND confirmed shortly thereafter

Gluten free June 1, 2013

Low Iodine July 15, 2013 - (waiting for the rash to clear...)

Other symptoms: IBS-D gone, skin on face much clearer, anxiety gone, periods regulating and less painful, and oh! this one is new: I have not had a UTI since going gluten-free (used to get them several times a year)

Currently training to become a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner. I want to heal as many guts as I can!

Love Heals.

#24 Chrisz1000

Chrisz1000

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:14 AM

Wow - although its pretty depressing its also very good to hear that you guys also have DH flare ups with stress. I have a fairly intense (at times) occupation and it must be aggravating me. I guess I need a new career in something more soothing :D

Like I say... I got a Dr appointment on Friday so I'll get it mentioned. Thanks again!

#25 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:31 PM

Anytime! YVW.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#26 Chrisz1000

Chrisz1000

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:50 AM

So just got back from the GI consultation. Seems like stress is the culprit  for my dh in particular... time to get some councelling done to sort this sh out!

#27 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:16 AM

No, gluten is the culprit. Stress is an exacibator. I know the two are almost impossible to seperate (especially in the beginning)...but it's true.

I know it's hard to have faith (so to speak) that the dh will eventually clear, but if it's dh and you follow a gluten-free diet (modified to avoid anything else you're intolerant to) it will eventually go away. And yes, unfortunately, some people have a very long and painful road with it, and it can take years for it to clear for some.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#28 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:09 AM

Ditto what Prickly said!!!!!!

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

#29 Chrisz1000

Chrisz1000

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:02 AM

I fully agree. My body has been knackered this year. Mentally its been really stressful too - the exacibator as you say. I think there have been a knock on effect (or butterfly effect maybe? ^_^ ) on my state of mind.

Since hearing the results of my endoscopy and biopsy, which I've been waiting for for so long, a weight has lifted and my mood is improving. Hopefully, things will fall into place the longer I am off gluten.

Thanks for the reassurance guys !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: