This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Negative Iga Ttg, Should I Do More Testing?

WillametteValleyKali

WillametteValleyKali Newbie

A month ago I found out my hemoglobin was fairly low and I was diagnosed with iron defiiciency anemia. I put some things together in my head (the seemingly random anemia, Hashimoto's disease, a bunch of GI issues, chronic pain and fatigue dx'ed as fibromyaliga) and asked my doctor about the possibility of Celiac disease. She agreed that it could be the problem and ordered the IgA tTg test, which came out just fine. I don't know if she ordered a total IgA and I'm going to call and ask about that on Monday.

I was wondering what people think about more tests. I do have an appointment with a GI doc over a month from now. I can't get an earlier appointment and can't switch to anyone else because I'm on Medicaid and this GI doc is the only one nearby who will take that insurance. I'm seriously considering forgetting about the GI appointment and further tests and dropping gluten ASAP and dairy as much as possible, moving toward dairy-free. I want to get that stuff out of my system and hopefully start feeling better! Is it worth it to keep eating food I know is bothering me so I can get more tests? With the negative IgA tTg test would you pursue other tests? I had pretty much decided to just go gluten free and see how I end up feeling in a few months but wanted to get the opinions of folks who have gone through all of this.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

deb-rn Contributor

My results aren't back yet, but I  KNOW  what I have to do.  I talked to my Dr about the upcoming results and asked if a biopsy was necessary, since my little trial really told me I don't tolerate gluten.  He said that negative results are common, so if I felt better without gluten, then I didn't tolerate it!  I am anxious to see what the results are, though!

Good Luck!
Debbie

Thanks, Debbie! I'm pretty sure that's what I'm going to do. Anyone else?

SkyBlue4 Apprentice

The Total IGA is an important piece of the Celiac puzzle and will tell you if your tTG IGA result is valid. I would ask if they ran a full Celiac Panel and post all of those numbers here along with the lab ranges.

I am newly diagnosed so I don't have much more feedback to offer you but other folks on this forum are extremely knowledgeable and can probably offer more insight.

Good luck and I hope you get some answers soon!

w8in4dave Community Regular

I'd advise to get the tests done. Once you get the test done. No matter what the outcome you can go Gluten Free. But just remember you need to be eating Gluten to have the test. You have alot of health issues going on. I think a Gluten Free diet will be good no matter what... 

Thanks, friends. I read last night the the total IgA is important to the other test results so I'm going to call and ask about that tomorrow. I think I'm going to go ahead and make another appointment with my primary care doc as soon as she can get me in so she can have the Celiac panel done. Then I can decide about the GI doc when the results from the panel are in. I hate to eat stuff I know bothers me but in the end it's for my health. Off I go to eat gluten, bleh.

w8in4dave Community Regular

Yes but as soon as you get the test done you can go gluten free. I think it is very important you do that.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Yes but as soon as you get the test done you can go gluten free. I think it is very important you do that.

Definitely!

eers03 Explorer

I am absent IGA so they relied on certain IGG markers that have a high level of specificity to gluten intolerance.  So, make sure you are not Absent IGA.  If you are, you will need a different celiac blood panel.  If your IGA is normal, your current blood panel should satisfy your purposes.  If gluten free does well for you--testing aside--go for it!

Archived