32 replies to this topic

#16 BelleVie

BelleVie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:51 PM

I don't mean to be a downer or anything, but the entire point of doing the baking soda thing for washing hair is to not use chemicals. The lack of a foaming agent makes no difference when the entire point of making this change is to simply strip chemicals from an entire aspect of your life.

As a matter of fact, I don't even use soap at all any more. I use completely homemade scrubs in the shower. If it weren't for the fact that I use lotions on my hands and feet I would be completely chemical free with my personal care.

That makes me really happy to hear. I read the other day that the average woman uses something like 125 potential cancer causing chemicals per day in her beauty routine. 

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 BelleVie

BelleVie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:53 PM

Oh I forgot! Lately I've started putting in 2 tablespoons of baking soda for one and a quarter cups of water, plus one drop each of lavender oil, mint oil, and rosemary oil. My hair smells SOOO good. :) 

#18 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:22 AM

I guess I use slightly heaping tablespoons of baking soda per cup of water. I just find that it works better. The whole single, level tablespoon thing wasn't doing it for me. I tried 2 and it was leaving actual flakes of baking soda in my hair which was kind of gross. So I found a happy middle ground that works for me. I think it tends to vary for everyone just a little and we all need to find where it works for us just right.

That oil combo sounds amazing. I'll bet you smell amazing!

And I know this sounds weird and counter-intuitive for a lot of people... but I mostly use a simple olive oil and salt scrub. Lots of people think that's weird to use olive oil on my skin but I've never had less breakouts on my face and I stopped needing lotion after I shower because I don't leech moisture. In the fall I do things like pumpkin spice or brown sugar and cinnamon rubs. I do lavender and honey when I'm stressed. Other than washing my hands I frankly can't remember the last time I put soap on my skin and I practically glow. More people should try it if they're ditching shampoo too. There are dozens upon dozens of ideas and recipes for scrubs if you google it.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#19 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:47 PM

I actually made some sugar scrub and salt scrubs last year and sold them at my Craft shop! It is soooooo easy to do ladies!! Sugar , either olive oil or grape seed oil .. ohhh you can google recipes!! They rock! And make your skin feel amazing!! 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#20 BelleVie

BelleVie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:07 AM

Oooh I love the olive oil idea!! Gonna try that soon!

Along the lines of natural things, I made home made lip balm yesterday and it turned out beautifully. Here's the recipe:

http://frugallysusta...honey-lip-balm/

#21 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:18 AM

I also make my own lip balms and use only pure coconut oil on my face, hands and feet.  I also use olive oil for deep moisturizing treatments on my hair.

Colleen

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

hairy-spider-smiley-emoticon.gif

#22 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:32 AM

That's a really great recipe! I have been using EOS lip balm and like it. Almost all of the ingredients in it are organic and I only need to put it on a few times a day. I just picked up a 5 pack at Costco for something like $11 so I won't need more for probably a year, but when I do I think I'll try making my own. :) There are suggestions for replacements for the vanilla but I'll bet you could do almost any flavor that makes you happy.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#23 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:31 AM

Late to this party, just had my shoulder length hair lopped off, chin length one side ear length the other. Has anyone had success with shorter hair?
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#24 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:01 PM

Not that I've had short hair since idk when, but I see no reason it wouldn't work. The point if you do enough reading and research is that you're focusing on washing your scalp, not your hair. A problem I could foresee, depending on what your plans are with your hair are the types of styling products you use. Some are made to coat your hair in a way that would be difficult to wash out with anything but harsh chemicals. There are homemade substitutes for most hair products also to prevent that problem. As long as you're not using some of those chemical styling products it shouldn't be a problem, the silicone based ones would be the biggest issue. With hair that short, a good 2-3 minute scalp scrubbing should more than scrub your hair too.

Also, I went to get my hair trimmed today. For some sick, twisted, and totally stupid reason, I decided last year or something like that that I wanted bangs. So now I have a short part of my hair that I'm letting grow out and I keep trimming an inch or two at a time off my hair til it's all the same length. The girl was all "lets wash your hair" I'm like "lets not, I don't put chemicals in my hair." She asked how I take care of it, and I told her and she couldn't help herself I guess as she started combing out my braid, remarking how incredibly soft my hair is. It's so hard not to be vain sometimes.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#25 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:30 PM

Thanks Addy
Maybe you have a convert :)
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#26 ceceliac

ceceliac

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 10:45 AM

I wash my hair with an egg yolk instead of shampoo!! i've been shampoo free since april last year, i personally gave up shampoo because my hair was a mess, it was all poofy and frizzy, very tangled and looked horrible, it also fell a lot. Now i know many of those problems may have been caused by gluten, or who knows what, but washing it with eggs helped a lot! it's so simple, i only use the egg yolk on my scalp, let it there for some minutes (3 or 4min) and then rinse it with cold or cool water (not warm or the egg will get cooked)

sometimes i do a vinegar rise or essential oil rinse so it gets a nice smell, but the egg itself, if well rinsed, doesn't leave any ewww smell.

#27 BelleVie

BelleVie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 04:34 PM

I do egg washes too, sometimes! It's funny that you warned about not rinsing in hot water. I did that the first time. Needless to say…I had scrambled eggs in my hair for the rest of the day. Lol. 

#28 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:17 PM

I used to use protein products. Since I gave up all products I've missed that. I don't have it in me to do a cool shower in the winter, but at least I know I have a solution in the spring.

Also, I cut my hair off shoulder length like a week or two ago. (Which is super short for me.) Things still seem to all be in order. I'm thinking it's time to add herbs to my rinse again so I can get dark highlights for the winter. I'm just trying to decide if I want to go mild or go all the way and do walnut powder.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#29 ceceliac

ceceliac

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:58 PM

I don't have it in me to do a cool shower in the winter, but at least I know I have a solution in the spring.

It's not necessary that you use only cold or cool water, you can use warm water too (i dont shower with cold water in winter, brrr!!! xD ) just make sure it's not scalding :) 

#30 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:52 AM

It's not necessary that you use only cold or cool water, you can use warm water too (i dont shower with cold water in winter, brrr!!! xD ) just make sure it's not scalding :)

My winter showers are generally hot enough to turn me pink. :ph34r: It isn't particularly toasty in the house and I don't get to control the thermostat, but what I can control is my shower temp. It's a rare occasion that I heat style or blow dry so I think I'll make it to spring when cooler showers are my norm. :)

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: