15 replies to this topic

#1 CR5442

CR5442

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:08 PM

Crazy question I know but does anybody here think that they have a reaction from kissing their partner when they have eaten gluten?  How long do you leave and what do you do to deal with this threat?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:26 AM

Yes, I think I have.  Tooth brushing should help.  If you are extremely sensitive, you may want you partner to be gluten free.  My daughter's boyfriend did that.  He's a really sweet guy.  He's more careful than my husband was.

#3 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:56 AM

I can't say for sure that I have or not, but I've been pretty careful. If we're out for dinner or a beer or something, its no kisses until teeth are brushed. If he had some several hours before (assuming lips are pretty clean by then), then a little peck seems to be ok. No making out until guaranteed clean, though. So far so good, as far as I can tell.

It's a precaution, but a necessary one, and one your partner has to be willing to comply with and let you know when they've been eating/drinking gluteny things. I would never make my partner go completely gluten free (outside my house, at least), just like he doesn't expect me to become a vegetarian, but most nights together I cook and he brings wine, so it works out.

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

#4 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:03 AM

i did in the beginning (i could not believe it!) and it set me back.  since then, if we are home, he eats mostly gluten free.  he likes his beer, though, so he has to brush up.  (i even bought those little 'wisp' disposable toothbrushes)  easy enough and no worries :)

just in case it was my 'magination, i would like to test it out again, but i am chicken.  i don't think he will do it, anyway, just in case......

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 CR5442

CR5442

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:13 AM

Phew, I am so relieved!  I thought it was all in my head.  I always felt slightly under par when my boyfriend was round.  We aren't seeing each other any more, but it will explain why I just wasn't quite right.  He got fed up of the rules for gluten free etc!  Nice.  Guess it's better to find out now than later huh?!

#6 CR5442

CR5442

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:14 AM

Three days after he went I had lost all the puffiness and off colouredness that I had developed... Same as when I eat say dairy, I put on two pounds of water!

#7 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:38 AM

it's kind of a dealbreaker, right??!!  i'm glad you're not wasting your time on somebody who doesn't care if they are making you ill  :) 

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#8 CR5442

CR5442

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:51 AM

Yeap, too right!

#9 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:52 AM

This condition does let you know which people in your life care more about their own stomachs than your health.

My daughter did not ask her boyfriend to go gluten free.  He did it on his own when he found out how sensitive she was.  That was before they even kissed.  He seems like a really caring individual.

#10 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:29 AM

Well, that wasn't going to work out, then. If your (potential) significant other can't deal with your life-long condition, then screw that.

When you find the right guy, he'll be willing to bend-over backwards to keep you from getting sick, which really just means keeping a toothbrush around and not bringing bread into the house. And never feel that telling someone about your situation from the get-go will turn them off or something, because if they aren't willing to compromise from the beginning, then it's not worth the bother.

Glad to hear you're feeling better!

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

#11 cap6

cap6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:56 PM

It takes both partners to work on this issue!  No beer or gluten kisses.  A kiss is ok but a KISS is not!!!!!

#12 CR5442

CR5442

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:11 PM

I think I stupidly really didn't pay much attention to this and then wondered, whenever he was round, why I felt worse!  I did actually say to him that I thought I was allergic to him... he wasn't impressed but I don't think the message sank in for either of us.  In future I will be stating my condition up front and hopefully that will sort the wheat (haha! pardon the pun) from the Chaff - It's an english saying!!

#13 GuyC

GuyC

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:37 PM

This thread made me smile. My wife is great but she enjoys her gluten. I'm a very sensitive celiac with quick intensive neuropathy if poisoned. When it's time for bed, I know things might go my way if she brushes her teeth. If no teeth brushing, oh well...
-Guy

gluten-free since 10/27/2010

#14 Nikki2777

Nikki2777

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:40 PM

I'm pretty sure I got glutened by kissing my husband after he ate a roll one day.  He's careful now to wipe his mouth off before kissing me, but I do worry about what lurks in his beard!

#15 WinterSong

WinterSong

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:47 AM

My ex was terrible about this. He hated the fact that I had Celiac Disease and called me paranoid when I told him that he shouldn't french kiss me after eating Frosted Flakes. He had the worst attitude, and it got to the point that I was afraid to say the word "gluten" around him for fear of him getting angry. I'm glad he reacted that way because it showed me what kind of person he really was (he was very selfish about other things, too) and what a future together would be like. We had dated for almost three years, and I'm so glad I didn't marry him. The fact is that if someone can't support you now when it's easy, they would never be able to support you if you developed a secondary condition associated with long term complications of Celiac. 

My current boyfriend realized on his own that he needed to brush his teeth (I got a smart one!). So he either brushes or eats gluten-free with me when we're out. He also bought a separate pan and cooking utensil for his place, and he watches out for CC whenever we're out. He's the sweetest, and I'm incredibly grateful to have met such an empathetic man. Forgive me, but I can't stop bragging about him!  :D

Advice from my doctor - "If he can't do something as easy as brush his teeth so that you don't get sick....it's time to start looking for another boyfriend..."

Diagnosed with IBS - Fall 2007

Diagnosed with Celiac via blood test (tTg off the charts) - March 18th, 2011

Gluten free as of March 25th, 2011 and going strong!

Positive biopsy April 1st, 2011

Blood test results back down to normal levels November 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: