This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Question About Blood Test(Getting Back On Gluten)

Gravityrush

Gravityrush Newbie

Hi Guys and gals, First time! :)

First off I want to say Life hasn’t been much fun for me at all. For about 3 years I have so many days, with upper abdominal pain, recently weight loss, fatigue, mouth pain. Dark stool, green stool, brain fog and minor times of diarrhea.

SO yeah it hasn't been fun. I have not been taking seriously enough by doctors and was written off for chronic gastritis (though i never felt the symptoms of that gastritis). So I been looking up on a bunch of stuff (some are quite SCARY!) But Over the last week I really have been reading on Celiac, and it hit me that this is what I may be going through. So I read about this gluten free and in the last three days I haven't eaten gluten(only gluten free food water fruits and veggies) and I felt a lot better today compare to what I have been. And abdominal pain seemed to have claimed a good amount.

But I know I need to get diagnosed so I have an appointment schedule tomorrow and a different GI schedule on Tuesday. I'm going to tell the GI to test me for celiac.

So I want ask since it's only been three days should i eat gluten today and go tomorrow and the test should be reliable or should I eat gluten for the nest four days and get tested Tuesday? I ask because I keep reading that you actually NEED to be eating Gluten to be tested (which sucks because I hate feeling like crap :()

Lastly, how much Gluten should I eat?

I'm so glad I found this place and I hope this can put my issues to bed. :(

Thank You guys for reading!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I wouldn't worry too much about 3 days.  Just start eating some gluten again until all your testing is done - blood and endoscopy.

defeatwheat Rookie

Welcome to the group. You'll get some nice advice here. I think your decision will have less impact than some who say have been gluten free for a long period of time and then are told to go back on it and be tested. I doubt your results would be affected either way but I'm no expert on that so I will digress and leave that advice to someone more knowledgeable about this area. However how are you going to be tested? That will get you some better suggestions. Blood test? GI scope?

Good luck in your journey!

Gravityrush Newbie

Thank you guys!

Well I would love to get scoped but I think I'm going to have to get the test first for them to scope me right? the Gi I am going is the first time I'm going to. So I'm going to ask for it. Hopefully I don't get a run around, I'm not going to back down though.

w8in4dave Community Regular

I'd keep the appt. I'd also keep eating Gluten. It's amazing when you stop eating Gluten and everything goes away!!  Good luck!! I hope you find the answers your looking for :) Let us know what your results are. 

kareng Grand Master

Any doc can do the blood testing.

Gravityrush Newbie

ok I did the blood test on friday, the gi said not to eat gluten for four weeks. so I haven't eaten gluten now for about a week. my fagtiue has gotten better, but here the thing I'm still getting cramping stabbing pain in my upper abdomien and I'm also still having green stool. (no dirreah though, never reall had that). should I still be feeling this even though I am gluten free?

Last, How long do I have to wait to get my reaults?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

That's strange for the GI to tell you to go off gluten for four weeks after the blood test.  What if you end up doing an endoscopy? You'll need to be on gluten for the endo/biopsy.  

Your tests should be back with a few working days (depending on the lab).  Be sure to get all copies of all lab reports.  It's good to have on hand and you should keep all copies of your medical records -- especially if you go from doctor to doctor.  

Takes months to a few years for the intestinal tract to heal depending on the extent of the damage and adherence to the diet (nice to have a starting point with an endoscopy).  I felt much better after seven weeks.  

nora-n Rookie

it could take several months off gluten to get well!

Yes, one needs to stay on gluten till all the testing is done

It takes a while for stuff to level out. My Dr. told me today "You have Celiac, You need to be patient" you have been struggling for a long time!! Let your body adjust. 

Gravityrush Newbie

Everyone here is so helpful!

Ok well guys I got a call just right now( not the doctor who's testing me for celiac) but a gi I did before test to get a cbc test. She said my blood levels were fine but my sodium levels where alittle low?

So I'm wonder does me eating gluten all this time has something to do with this?

I'm waiting on my celiac results hopefully any day now I hear something.

It takes a while for Celiac test to come thru. Hope you find out soon. I don't know anything about Sodium levels , someone here might. There are alot of smart people here someone will chime in :)  

GF Lover Rising Star

If your sodium is low then the Doc may order a urine test to check sodium levels there too.  If you're low in blood test only, then your body is losing sodium for an unknown cause (malabsorbtion?).  If it is low in your urine also, then you are not taking enough sodium in and should eat more salt.  This also happened to me (malabsortion).  My Doctor told me to not intentionally cut back on salt intake.  It all leveled out in time.

Colleen

Archived