19 replies to this topic

#16 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:56 AM

I looked at the steak very good when I sent it back, the one they sent back to me was half the size. I know it wasn't the same one. I was on to that! Lol  But yea I just have to learn to carry stuff! I guess! We usually don't go to fast food. The lady I went with her daughter has crohns so she really has a hard tome at FF so we usually go to a restaurant. But Daughter wasn't there that day. Mom was taking advantage of being able to go to FF Lol ohh well I will just have to learn this stuff ... Taking food along :) Or eating salads.. Or set there and have a drink ... 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:06 PM

the last time i had a mistake in my order, they left the plate right on the table while they re-made it.  that is another option:  tell them to leave the 'bad' plate :)

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#18 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:16 PM

I can't speak for the hard shells at Taco Bell or for the chicken which only some items have.  I can speak for the beef and it contains oats.  Gluten isn't even an issue for me (was for daughter) but oats are bad for me.  I do believe that the beans are safe.  Not even sure about the rice.  There are just so many other options here that we try not to do Taco Bell.  Oats in the meat is enough to let me know that it's not my kinda place. 

We prefer Taco Time which is a local chain.  So far, we have not been sickened by any of our choices there but they do seem to keep changing the info. on their menu.  I did write to them once and asked for the source of the soy in some of their foods.  They never wrote back.  And now, some of the foods that we thought were gluten free are listed as not being so.  We were shocked once when a mom and grandma ordered a burrito for a girl then after she had bitten into it, decided to ask if it was gluten free!  I just wonder how sick she got later?  We were on our way out then so don't know what they wound up making for her.  But they do now list gluten-free options on their menu.  We used to get the tacos, nachos, beans, rice and some salads but have asked to have things left off.  I will not swear that any of these things are gluten-free though and would refer you to the menu or better still, ask before ordering.  Daughter does not have celiac but food intolerances so her reaction(s) are/were not necessarily the same as yours might be.

There is also Taco Del Mar, Qdoba and Chipotle in this area.  We've eaten at Taco Del Mar quite a few times with no problems but I can't say that we enjoyed the food.  It was rather bland and tasteless.  We found the food at Qdoba to be entirely inedible.  So much so that I actually teared up when I tried to eat mine.  I had promised my daughter that it would be a safe and healthy meal for her and that it would be tasty.  It might have been safe.  Not so sure about the healthy given the amount of sour cream they slopped in her bowl.  And although it had a taste, that taste was a very bad one.  Did not try Chipotle only because my dad told me that the food was tasteless.  Of course he could be wrong.

We do not eat a lot of fast food but...  One option that is almost always safe (although not likely available at the Bell) is fruit.  That is assuming that it comes prepackaged.  The little bags of apples or cups of Mandarian oranges should be safe unless they somehow got cross contaminated on the outside of the package.  Sure, they're not a meal but they could get you by until you can get some real food.

Me?  I travel with a little lunch bag in the back of my van.  In it is a can opener, a chip clip and some plastic bags.  If need be, I'll stop at a store and buy some corn tortillas, or a bag of corn chips, a can of refried beans, some baby carrots and some disposable plates and utensils.  Then I know I can have a safe meal if no other options are around, even if it means eating that food at room temp.

#19 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:26 PM

The thing is, with these friends I have, I have known them for over 30 years. We go shopping and always go out to eat. It is what we do. Well me with this gluten-free stuff is kinda cramping ... At first what I thought was gluten-free comes up it isn't then I get this fancy phone and I search before going out and boom, get wrong information. I think your right I can get salads and such without crutons, but I just want to take a break from eating out for a while. Get my gut from being accidentally Glutened ...One time I went to Chili's got their steak that was on their gluten-free menu. I asked about what choices were on the Menu , Told her I was Celiac and could not have any Gluten at all and no CC, she said Ok I understand :) yea my steak comes out with the beans and corn on the side , with a big slice of bread across the steak... I took one look and she said yea he gave you this slice of bread. I said I cannot have that bread touching my plate let alone my meat. Why would I order off the Gluten Free Menu and then they put a slice of bread across it? Ughhh I re ordered it but was skeptical. Their corn tasted like green peppers and was dry. The beans were good the steak was good but why on earth would they do that? SO taking a big long break!!  My friends will understand. They have been very supportive thru this whole thing!

Oh yeah.  Can't tell you how many times that has happened!  Even had trouble at Olive Garden.  Order gluten-free, remind them not to put croutons on the salad and they'll do it anyway.  Then offer to pick them off for you!  Mm hm.

I can't have dairy.  So I will order a plain baked potato.  Once, the waitress brought it out with little containers of butter on the plate, one of which had tipped over and melted onto the potato.  She said it looked so plain that she felt sorry for me and brought out some butter.  Gah!  Last time, they brought my potato with a container of some egg containing something or other that really belonged on someone else's plate.  Eggs are the worst food ever for me!  At that same place, they screwed up my SIL's food twice.  At least for her it was only a preference and the food wouldn't have sickened her, except perhaps mentally...heh.  But still.  Makes a person not want to eat there.

People who don't have legit. food issues like this just do not get it.  We can't just suck it up and eat something just this once.  I don't like being sick and I'd rather go hungry than to eat something that I know will sicken me later or even take the chance if I am not certain that it will be safe for me.

#20 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:28 PM

Thats alot of info Thanks :) We don't have some of those places here. But just in case I do run into them I will try and keep them in mind. 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: