This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Skin Scratch Test For Allergies Question

SuperItchy

SuperItchy Newbie

Hello all, I am brand new here. Your board messages have been very helpful so far.

My question is about the skin scratch test to see what allergies I might have. My Dr. told me not to take any medicines at all except for my prescription Thyroid medicine. I know that they will be testing different things out on my skin, but for those that have had this done my questions are:

Do you feel bad afterwards? If so, how long do the symptoms last? Was this test helpful for you?

My 2 Dr's think I am allergic to gluten & possibly some other things. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

No, just itchy in the areas where it showed positive. It lasts anywhere from a half hour to up to two hours. The test was helpful in my case.

LauraTX Rising Star

I got like 60 done at once on my back recently.  It really is not that bad.  The scratch is with a scratchy plastic knob thing, so it is just mildly unpleasant.  If you react, it will itch, but that wasn't too bad either.  When they finished up mine they put hydrocortisone cream on it which was nice.  The worst part for me was laying on my stomach for 15 minutes with my top off, haha.  But they gave me a paper shirt thing to wear and it was a girl doing it so not THAT bad.  

Apparently I was recommended for skin tests many times as a child but my mother didn't do it because she thought it was cruel and unusual and terrible, it really isn't.  Maybe in an infant or toddler who doesn't understand "hold still" but that is any medical test/procedure for kids that age.

Just make sure they pre-approve it through your insurance so you aren't stuck with a bill.  That goes for anything, though, and the doctors office will probably already do that because they like getting paid.

MChase Apprentice

Hello all, I am brand new here. Your board messages have been very helpful so far.

My question is about the skin scratch test to see what allergies I might have. My Dr. told me not to take any medicines at all except for my prescription Thyroid medicine. I know that they will be testing different things out on my skin, but for those that have had this done my questions are:

Do you feel bad afterwards? If so, how long do the symptoms last? Was this test helpful for you?

My 2 Dr's think I am allergic to gluten & possibly some other things. Thanks!

When I did mine, it was horrible (however, I am severely allergic to lots of things).  I had to be off of all allergy medicines for a week (which caused lots of problem).  I had numerous skin pricks.  They swelled up pretty badly.  I was severely allergic to pretty much everything I was tested for.  As soon as I left, I took benedryl.  When I got home, I had to take a bath.  I went straight to bed afterwards (benedryl knocks me out.)  Everyone reacts differently, it depends on how allergic you are to the things you are tested for.  I am one of the unlucky ones who are so allergic to things that I couldn't do the allergy shots.  I did them for 6 months and they put me in the hospital several times.  I took a year off of them, then tried again with the same results.  My allergist said that I am too allergic for the shots.   I know they do allergy prick test for wheat, but not sure about gluten.  I wish you the best.

Imac Newbie

I am new here too and waiting for the results of my Prometheus lab test, but my road started with my allergist and skin pricks. I agree with the previous poster that the more you react to an allergen, the more uncomfortable you will be. If possible, I recommend bringing in an iPod or other personal music player. I found that for the waiting period (after pricking and when you get itchy and can't scratch) it really helped distract me and not focus on the itchiness. Also after they took the measurements, my nurse cleaned me up, put an anti-itch spray on my back and then gave me an antihistamine, so overall, I'd say it was maybe an hour of being uncomfortable overall. 

I'm curious to see what results you get. My skin results lead to a blood test (IGE), which said I was moderately allergic to wheat, rye, barley, oats, and rice and bananas. My allergist wants me to cut all those out for 4 months, but before I did that I thought it was a good time to investigate all my gastro issues. and here I am 3 months later, still on gluten, waiting to see what comes out of the gene and antibodies test. What I can of worms it opened (but a good one. I would love to figure out if that's the root of my issues) So I hope you keep us posted on your results!

SuperItchy Newbie

Thank you all! You have been very helpful & I am a bit more relaxed about it now that I know what to expect. Will try to keep you posted. :)

• 1 month later...
SuperItchy Newbie

Thank you all! You have been very helpful & I am a bit more relaxed about it now that I know what to expect. Will try to keep you posted. :)

Sorry I am so late in replying back to this post. I didn't forget about you all and I want all of you to know that your posts really helped calm my nerves & it was so nice knowing what to expect. I had my testing done on Oct. 3rd and Oct. 17th of 2013. I had 72 scratch tests done & 68 needle injection tests (those were the painful ones), but thank goodness none of it was horrible.

I found out I am allergic to clams, shrimp, brazil nuts, and pecans. Thank goodness none of those are foods that I really like. :) :) I do love to eat pecan snowball cookies around Christmas time so hopefully a couple of those won't hurt, hehe ;) They only tested me for wheat out of the gluten foods & he said it wasn't too much of a reaction, but I also had been off gluten for 2 months when they did the test so he said it could be that he didn't get a true reaction. I also found out I am VERY allergic to Dust, Mold, Mites, Mildew, Pine, Grasses, etc. No surprise there.... I always sneeze my head off when I get around those things.

My Allergist said I could try going back on gluten foods for a couple weeks to get a definite answer or not & let me tell you when I started eating gluten again I started itching, got my rash back, felt more tired, felt puffy & bloated, and all around just didn't feel my best. So as of Nov. 10th, 2013 I am completely eating gluten free again and just 3 days in I already feel so much better... now just waiting for my awfful itching & rash to go away.

Thank you all again for your support!!! After reading several posts on this board it is clear that you all love & support  each other and it is soooo nice to see that!! :) Take care!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived