This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Should I Take An Iron Supplement?

pacosurfer

pacosurfer Newbie

Hello all...

I just joined, although I have been lurking around for awhile. I was just diagnosed with gluten intolerance. I have been on a strict gluten-free diet for two weeks, and I do feel I am making progress.

One of my symptoms is fatigue. I was wondering if I should start taking an iron supplement. I don't recall getting any testing done that says I have low iron or ferritin...but I have been unable to give blood due to my low iron levels. I don't know what the levels are, however.

I am already taking supplements, and I didn't want to take another unless I have to.

What do you all suggest?

I see my doctor in about two months, so maybe I will wait until then.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Since you are not going to see your doctor for another two months, call and ask for copies of all your past lab results.  Unless you have been diagnosed with iron deficiency anemia, I wouldn't start taking iron supplements.  Included in the iron panel, your doctor should test for ferritin.  Why not take a supplement?  You could have anemia, but it could be a B-12 deficiency or you could have a genetic anemia.  Too much iron could be harmful.   Try getting more in your diet for now.

There are so many things that can cause fatigue.  I'd get your thyroid tested too.  

emilykay405 Rookie

cyclinglady is right, too much iron and just as bad as too little.

I'd also say that the testing needs to be done. During my initial blood work I was diagnosed with iron deficiency anemia but after a course of prescription iron I still didn't respond...turns out, I have thalassemia trait. So it could be more than just iron deficiency anemia.

My fatigue was originally blamed on the false iron deficiency anemia and it turned out to be a whole different beastie (Sjogren's Syndrome).

• 3 weeks later...
Weeber47 Newbie

As part of my regular lab tests my doctor assigns vitamin regimens which almost always contains iron and vitamin b12. I agree that nobody should take vitamins unless you absolutely need them. Food that contains the vitamins are much better than the supplements unless you have a serious deficiency.

Archived