8 replies to this topic

#1 SkyBlue4

SkyBlue4

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:21 AM

I am preparing my kitchen to be gluten free and I am just sick with the knowledge that I have to get rid of some of my favorite (and most expensive) kitchen items... like my bread machine  :( .

Now I'm wondering if I should also get rid of my KitchenAid Mixer. It has a metal bowl but I wonder about the machine itself. There are some nooks and crannies on the machine and I wonder if I clean it up enough to be safe to use. Is it too risky? What do you think?  

Celiac Disease 2013

~Elevated tTG IgA despite insufficient Total IgA~

Autoimmune Gastritis 2013   

LADA 2010

Hashimoto's Disease 2003

and...

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:25 AM

I think it is cleanable.  I use vinegar and water.  I spray it into the nooks and crannies.  It seems to dissolve the hard stuff so it can run out.  I would try that a few times,  Maybe a toothpick or a big pin in the cracks.  The mixing attachments might be harder.  You might be able to get new ones.  Or maybe soak them in hot water and vinegar, swish around, soak some more, wipe, etc,

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#3 SkyBlue4

SkyBlue4

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:55 AM

I think it is cleanable.  I use vinegar and water.  I spray it into the nooks and crannies.  It seems to dissolve the hard stuff so it can run out.  I would try that a few times,  Maybe a toothpick or a big pin in the cracks.  The mixing attachments might be harder.  You might be able to get new ones.  Or maybe soak them in hot water and vinegar, swish around, soak some more, wipe, etc,

Vinegar may do the trick? I will certainly give it a try. Thanks! I cannot believe my luck- I just got the darn machine before being diagnosed!

Celiac Disease 2013

~Elevated tTG IgA despite insufficient Total IgA~

Autoimmune Gastritis 2013   

LADA 2010

Hashimoto's Disease 2003

and...

#4 moosemalibu

moosemalibu

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:06 AM

I washed my kitchen aid mixer really well. If you are handy with tools you can take a few pieces off and clean underneath. Like the metal band. I would die if I lost my baby blue KA mixer. ;)

Jamie

"We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone." Ronald Reagan

• Diagnosed Celiac via blood test 8-22-13
  • Dairy & gluten free in 8-22-13 then did gluten challenge in October
  • Endoscopy/Biopsy Oct-26-13 positive for Celiac
  • HLA-DQ2 positive
  • Vitamin D insufficiency 12-6-13 (had it prior no doubt, just wasn't checked until December)
  • Dairy Added back in successfully 3-1-14
  • Normal Antibody Levels 3-19-14! 
  • Egg, sugar alcohols Intolerant 5-2014

Supplements: Fish Oil, Digestive enzymes, probiotics, biotin, multivitamin, joint supplement, psyllium husk

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:10 AM

Vinegar may do the trick? I will certainly give it a try. Thanks! I cannot believe my luck- I just got the darn machine before being diagnosed!

That's exactly what happened to me!  Our 23 year old KA mixer's  motor burned out and we had bought a new one a few months before.

Just a note - vinegar doesn't "kill" or break gluten down, it just helps to loosen it up so you can wipe and rinse it off.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#6 howlnmad

howlnmad

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:16 AM

The wifey still uses her mixer and hasn't had a problem. We did give up the bread maker but mainly because it was non-stick and we weren't willing to risk it.

#7 answerseeker

answerseeker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:55 AM

I'm going to ask Santa Hubby for a new one for Chistmas. I tried to clean it but whenever I make something with it I get the gurgles after. I think I'm still getting a tiny bit of cc from it. Before diagnosis I used it all the time and I remember flour getting everywhere when I mixed with it.

Lori age 40

GERD diagnosed Feb 2012

acute adult onset asthma diagnosed April 2012

celiac diagnosis July 2013

osteopenia Sept 2013

Dysautonomia: POTS (autonomic nervous system dysfunction)

DQ2 Gene

#8 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:04 AM

I didn't replace my kitchenaid mixer, but I did give away my bread maker.  Also wood, plastic colanders, baking pans, anything that stuff would get crusty on.  I kept all my glass cookware though because when I clean something, no spots are acceptable. If you are the kind of person that leaves baked on stuff on cookware, things of that nature I would replace.  Since you said you got your KA mixer recently, I would assume it hasn't had time to get really grimy and crusty so you should be able to clean it with confidence.  I also took the chance to re-prganize my pantry and cabinets and wiped them all down really well because of crumbs and such.  

If you have an expensive appliance that you think you need to replace, you can probably sell it on craigslist to help offset the cost of a new one.  For my birthday after my diagnosis, a few family gave me gift cards because they knew I would have to replace a bunch of things, also with Christmas coming up, don't be ashamed to spread the word about your need for kitchen items :)

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#9 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:21 AM

I.  I also took the chance to re-prganize my pantry and cabinets and wiped them all down really well because of crumbs and such.  

This reminds me - take everything out of the kitchen drawers, wash them and the drawers.  Drawers tend to get left open a crack and collect crumbs.

I buy red spoons, hot pads, red duct tape, red colander, red measuring cups, etc.  Red has become the color of gluten-free in our house.  Red isn't my favorite color but its easy to get red cooking utensils right now.  Also, if you travel and get a place with a kitchen, its easy to see that the red utensils are yours to pack up at the end of the trip.   For things I can't get in red - like muffin tins (I don't like the red silicone ones) I keep in a separate cabinet from the gluten ones used for frozen pizzas and pretzels.  I use the red duct tape to put a big piece on the top of my PB jar and butter tub. 

dancing-turkey.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: