This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Funny Ridges Or Dents On Nails

w8in4dave

w8in4dave Community Regular

Ok this got started on another thread and I wanted to just put it out there. Recently I lost a toe nail. I Now have one on my right toe coming off. Now I have noticed these funny dent's or ridges on my fingernails I have never had before. I apologize! I was canning tomatoes a while ago .. it was kinda hard to take a pic of my nail. Kind of embarrassing to say I lost a toe nail and another coming up. I was told when I lost it to take it to the Drs. office and they would send it out. So I took it in today and have a Drs appt thursday. So here goes look at the middle dent in the nail. I have never had it before and no I did not injure two nails on my left hand and 2 nail on my right hand. 

file_zpsd448a986.webp

file_zpsc0521fa4.webp

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

Did you have a vitamin check done? Usually, when nails have ridges and the like, from my understanding, its because you are low on something.

No I have not. I go to the Dr. on Thursday , maby I should ask him for one? I have not seen the Doc since I have been DX'd I seen another one because my doc was on vaca he basically did nothing. So Thursday I will see my Doc for the 1st time since Dx'd  :) 

SkyBlue4 Apprentice

I have this too! I have ridges and I also have a few nails that curve down on one side when they grow beyond the nail bed. I never thought of deficiencies as the cause. I have a check-up today with my pcp and I will inquire. 

SkyBlue4 Apprentice

I have this too! I have ridges and I also have a few nails that curve down on one side when they grow beyond the nail bed. I never thought of deficiencies as the cause. I have a check-up today with my pcp and I will inquire. 

Just as a f/u to my post- my PCP could only suggest supplementing with Biotin and fish oil. We're running some labs to look for possible deficiencies (in the past they've only checked my calcium and vitamin D).

I hope you get some answers soon before you lose anymore nails!

janpell Apprentice

I have psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis - it is a pretty common condition for these two. Not sure if it is related to you but with autoimmune disease - who knows. I am gluten free and did an elimination diet and it cleared for a good year. I started introducing too much of something (not gluten) and notice that my pinky nail is now separating a little from the nail bed. I don't doubt deficiencies have something to do with it - that or another food intolerance.

janpell Apprentice

I had to google further and found there is something called psoriatic nail disease? Just some info. for you.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Fungus does odd nail stuff.  I have one toe with a raised off the bed toenail from fungus.

MChase Apprentice

I have lost a few baby toenails in the past.  It is rather freaky.  After looking things up, it seemed to point to psorasis.  I have psorasis on my elbows and have to put ointment on them several times a day.  I also have nails that turn down  if I can even get them to grow.  

kareng Grand Master

Sometimes dents are just dents. Sometimes its a vitamin or thyroid thing. The toes sound like you either smashed them a few months ago ( it can take months before they fall off) or you have a fungus.

I did not smash my toe nails, they just started to lift ... I went to the doc because I had sores in my mouth, my hair was falling out, my toenails were lifting and ohh yea a rash on my back. This all was  after I was DX'd. So I was told to take biotin for my hair falling out, rash gave me an ointment did nothing! Sores in my mouth gave me a mouth wash thing, did nothing!  Now I don't think my hair is falling out as much. My rash is slowly going away, Toe nail came off and another is lifting and I have my fingernails making odd ridges. Sores in my mouth come and go. I have never had dents in my nail beds before and have never had my toenails smashed .. It is kinda odd all this stuff just happening at once. It is not all in my head. 

I don't think i have psorasis, I have never had it, doesn't mean I cannot start tho. I will look up psoriatic nail disease TY :) I have been taking Fish oil for years , because I have HBP and High Cholesterol .. So yea Thursday :) Maby they will have the results of my toenail back. Thats just gross!! It was embarrassing handing her a cup with my toenail in it!! Yes it had a lid but OMG !! It is horrid! Then I had my car parked under a tree and as I was setting there I bug was in my hair! lol it was a lil wasp like bug. I was horrified! First a toenail then she has a bugs! Ohh jeeze lol funny but not ya know!! Ok off to look stuff up! Thanks e1! 

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Horizontal dents can be caused by an illness having an effect on the growth from what I understand. They may have formed before you were diagnosed and should grow out. I had them in almost all fingernails pre-diagnosis. They did go away. The vertical ridges are still there for me but the dents are gone.

Have you seen a dermatologist? They may be more helpful with the nail issues than your PCP.  Don't know if a podiatrist might be helpful with the toe nail problem but might be worth a try.

I did read this about Psoriatic nail disease from this source..Open Original Shared Link

Psoriatic nail disease has many clinical signs. Most psoriatic nail disease occurs in patients with clinically evident Open Original Shared Link; it only occurs in less than 5% of patients with no other cutaneous findings of Open Original Shared Link.

An estimated 10-55% of all patients with psoriasis have psoriatic nail disease, and approximately 7 million people in the United States have psoriasis. About 150,000-260,000 new cases of psoriasis are diagnosed each year. US physicians see 1.5 million patients with psoriasis per year.

Severe psoriatic nail disease can lead to functional and social impairments if left untreated.Open Original Shared Link

Horizontal dents can be caused by an illness having an effect on the growth from what I understand. They may have formed before you were diagnosed and should grow out. I had them in almost all fingernails pre-diagnosis. They did go away. The vertical ridges are still there for me but the dents are gone.

Have you seen a dermatologist? They may be more helpful with the nail issues than your PCP.  Don't know if a podiatrist might be helpful with the toe nail problem but might be worth a try.

I have not seen anyone! I see my family Dr. thursday I cannot just make an appt. with any Dr. I need a referral from my Dr. He had my toe nail sent out So hopefully soon I will have answers !!!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I have not seen anyone! I see my family Dr. thursday I cannot just make an appt. with any Dr. I need a referral from my Dr. He had my toe nail sent out So hopefully soon I will have answers !!!

I hope you hear from the office soon and they have some answers. It sounds like it would be pretty uncomfortable.

Actually you would think that it would hurt, but it doesn't ... A thin layer of nail has developed over it .. super thin .. It is just weird! I go to the Dr. today I am hoping he got results :) 

Ok went to the doc today. My results from my toe nail are not in. He is putting me on something for it tho. I told him I am feeling soooo much better!! Rash is going away, sore in mouth is going away, hair is not falling out like it was , but that I was concerned about my fingernails because I had lost my toenail. He said ,  you have Celiac. Then something about not being able to digest a protein. So He did some blood work. About my proteins. And put me on something for my nails. Something about my hair and nails being made from the same thing and if one isn't good the other isn't. But in all I am doing very well!! Was lucky to get the DX. And find my problem. So I got a prescription and a flu shot and was on my way :) I was very emotional actually for some reason. Not sure why. Maby because thats the 1st time I seen him since I have been DX'd ... He said I have to be patient for things to get better. But with a good diet and Dr. Care I will do wonderful! Tell my kids and family about my Celiac. And be on a strict Gluten Free Diet. I told him my joints started hurting and he said well thats going to happen. We are going to do the blood work. So That was it. I forgot what he put me on it is a once a week script. I will look it up tomorrow. 

GF Lover Rising Star

When my protein was lowest I was losing hair too.  No problem with nails but my nails grow superfast and are wicked strong.  I think I would have to be dead for them to fall off :lol:   Glad your doing better.

Coleen

TY :) 

Archived