19 replies to this topic

#1 gemlechner

gemlechner

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:29 AM

Whats the best tasting gluten free bread out there? Also does corn bother anybody else???

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:39 AM

Ah..... The great bread debate!  :D

Bread varies by country.  Are you in the US?

I am in the US and I like Canyon Bakery San Juan bread  http://canyonglutenfree.com/   It is like a "whole wheat" bread.

You will find that a slice of gluten-free bread is  usually smaller than "regular' bread.  Toasting it makes it taste better.

Sometimes, its best to not eat any bread for a few months.  Sort of "forget" what regular bread tastes like. Use rice cakes, crackers, corn tortillas, lettuce wraps, etc.  Kids might like a slice of ham rolled around a little cheese and a little spinach snuck in.  Then cut small and stick with toothpicks.  Kids love to eat with toothpicks!  Toast with PB on it.  Find other things to eat besides a sandwich.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#3 bartfull

bartfull

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:56 AM

Yeah, corn bothers me. At first I couldn't tolerate ANY corn, but now have gotten to the point where I can handle corn starch. Almost ALL gluten-free breads have at least corn starch in them. I THINK the Canyon Bakehouse no linger does. (I know they USED TO have corn MEAL in their bread but no longer do.) I haven't had any Against the Grain bread, but I have had their frozen pizza and their baguettes and they were really good. They have no grains in them at all, so if corn bothers you (and if the Canyon Bakehouse DOES have corn starch), I think that would be your only choice.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#4 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:19 AM

I have tried: Three Bakers, Udi's, Rudy's.

they are all decent breads, IMHO but I like homemade, too.

I also like Brown rice tortilla wraps.

I find all these breads in the frozen section.

Keep them in the fridge and lightly toast. Zap the wraps in a moist paper towel in the micro for 30 seconds.

and Canyon Bakehouse is delicious, I agree. (I tried it at a friend's house in Mass.)

but I was not able to find it where I lived in NY.

I am hoping (now that I am in FL) that I can find it in the nearest Whole Foods.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#5 mateo2099

mateo2099

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:38 AM

I like Sami's better than Udi's for regular Sandwich bread.  http://samisbakery.com/  Udi's still makes better hamburger buns and hot dog buns though.  There's a supplier here in the South out of Dallas that makes the best hamburger buns I've ever had.  I don't know the name but they supply for the hamburger chain, Fuddruckers.

#6 Kassia

Kassia

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:54 PM

While I'm a fan of Udi's whole grain sandwich bread, I'm a bigger fan of rice paper wraps. Since going gluten-free, I find I don't think "bread" the way I used to. This is good because it means I'm not craving something I cannot have. But I've always been a huge lover of spring rolls (theory: my body was always guiding me toward foods that didn't want to destroy me). So, I make wraps using rice paper rounds. The rice paper has a relatively neutral flavor, and once you get used to working with them, filling and rolling goes pretty fast. 

I chop protein (chicken, beef, whatever) into tiny pieces, add lightly dressed cabbage or lettuce, maybe some matchsticked veggies like carrots, some cheese like feta. Then I roll, and store with a slightly damp paper towel. Depending on how I've seasoned the ingredients, I may use a dipping sauce. Seriously, so good.

Also, rice paper wrappers are super cheap.

Note: this technique probably won't work for peanut butter and jelly. Some things must remain as traditional as possible.

#7 GFCFPlease

GFCFPlease

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:33 PM

My 2 year old LOVES udis white sandwich bread. It tastes just like real regular bread hes was used to and it doesnt need to be toasted :)

#8 Nikki2777

Nikki2777

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:51 PM

I love Schar deli-style bread. Doesn't need toasting and tastes pretty close to rye bread. Pretty pricey, but the slices are big do I can often cut one in half for a sandwhich.

#9 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:06 AM

I love rudis multigrain, I have always loved turkey sandwiches on whole wheat and that made a great replacement.  Also the Schar stuff that I have tried I really like.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#10 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:29 PM

We like Canyon Bakehouse best, but do eat mostly Udi's and Glutino Genius based on cost.

Toasting does improve - especially Udi's - and all make excellent grilled cheese :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#11 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:50 PM

and all make excellent grilled cheese :)

true dat, girlfriend ;) add bacon and YUM!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#12 GardenofDelights

GardenofDelights

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:29 PM

My family and I like Udi's bread & bagels.  Definitely prefer them toasted.  My kids didn't even say anything or complain when I switched over.  That was a nice surprise!

#13 birdie22

birdie22

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:06 AM

I've tried Udi's and Schar. I really like the Udi's but something in the ingredients gives me gas. My new discovery is Goodbye Gluten bread. My local Wegman's started carrying it. It's shelf stable and doesn't need to be toasted. I've tried the white bread and it's fantastic. It's a bit crumbly but not too bad. I've had turkey, PBJ on it. It's been sitting on my counter now for a week and it's still good.

http://www.glutenfre...ife.com/?p=5472 has a good review of it.

Diagnosed NCGS April 2012 after battling headaches, canker sores, bloating, heartburn, epigastric pain, buzzed feeling, extreme fatigue, muscle aches, and nausea since November 2010.

gluten-free since November 2011

#14 Whitepiano

Whitepiano

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:01 PM

Schar is great! Just like the usual stuff.

#15 magda.dietitian

magda.dietitian

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:44 AM

Mayby for a change: Blumenbrot, they have crispy bread with buckwheat, quinoa and chestnut. It is very tasty, good for sandwiches or just as a snack.

Magdalena Kopala Msc, dietitian.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: