This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Recurrent Stomachaches In Child

nicolebeth

nicolebeth Apprentice

Hello!

My 8yo son is home at least once/month for stomachaches. Most recently, it was about 2.5 weeks ago (he is home again today). The last time, he may have had a low-grade fever. We have noticed no fever today. We went to the doctor last time, and I can bring him today (I suppose) or see if he could have bloodwork, but he doesn't really seem "sick"--he just felt he couldn't be at school. Homework is complete, and as far as I can tell, all is well at school. He has friends, no one is bothering him, etc.

He has been gluten-free for over a year (which helped with much worse stomachaches as well as bowel movements), and was on Miralax for about six weeks last fall. His official diagnosis is NCGI. As for cross-contamination, we know that he ate actual gluten, by mistake, a few times in June and July. We have been careful on our end, and he is very conscious of this himself (making sure to check ingredients). He knows that he feels better without gluten, and doesn't want to stray fro the diet.

We have never taken him dairy-free, as that's just one more restriction (and one that he would seriously fight). I know that I'm (likely) casein-intolerant, my husband in either that or lactose-intolerant, and our daughter has some dairy intolerance as well. Because our house is largely dairy-free, it's just occasional gluten-free pizza (which he hasn't had in a while), ice cream (which he also hasn't had in a while), yogurt (maybe he had some last week at some point?), or butter. 

Does dairy seem like the place to go? If we go back to the GI (well, he is having a follow up there in a few weeks for a growth check-in), he'll recommend another x-ray (which we won't do), and more Miralax--it seems to be the answer for everything. (I can't believe this many kids are constipated, the expected course of action is Miralax, and it's "for no reason"--but that is a separate issue of frustration!)

Any other thoughts?

Thank you so much!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

Hello!

My 8yo son is home at least once/month for stomachaches. Most recently, it was about 2.5 weeks ago (he is home again today). The last time, he may have had a low-grade fever. We have noticed no fever today. We went to the doctor last time, and I can bring him today (I suppose) or see if he could have bloodwork, but he doesn't really seem "sick"--he just felt he couldn't be at school. Homework is complete, and as far as I can tell, all is well at school. He has friends, no one is bothering him, etc.

He has been gluten-free for over a year (which helped with much worse stomachaches as well as bowel movements), and was on Miralax for about six weeks last fall. His official diagnosis is NCGI. As for cross-contamination, we know that he ate actual gluten, by mistake, a few times in June and July. We have been careful on our end, and he is very conscious of this himself (making sure to check ingredients). He knows that he feels better without gluten, and doesn't want to stray fro the diet.

We have never taken him dairy-free, as that's just one more restriction (and one that he would seriously fight). I know that I'm (likely) casein-intolerant, my husband in either that or lactose-intolerant, and our daughter has some dairy intolerance as well. Because our house is largely dairy-free, it's just occasional gluten-free pizza (which he hasn't had in a while), ice cream (which he also hasn't had in a while), yogurt (maybe he had some last week at some point?), or butter. 

Does dairy seem like the place to go? If we go back to the GI (well, he is having a follow up there in a few weeks for a growth check-in), he'll recommend another x-ray (which we won't do), and more Miralax--it seems to be the answer for everything. (I can't believe this many kids are constipated, the expected course of action is Miralax, and it's "for no reason"--but that is a separate issue of frustration!)

Any other thoughts?

Thank you so much!

That or soy. Since you have a low dairy house i would say soy might be the issue here.

nicolebeth Apprentice

That or soy. Since you have a low dairy house i would say soy might be the issue here.

Thank you--we don't buy much, if any, soy either. If he has any, it's just what's present in gluten-free products (cookies). I think Udi's bread is soy-free. He occasionally has edamame (but it's infrequent). For milk, he has almond milk. We use coconut oil or olive oil, and buy coconut or almond ice cream for the house (he'll have dairy when not at home). Yesterday, he had farmers' market gluten free cookies. They had butter, tapioca starch, potato starch, and white rice flour (along with sugar and possibly eggs). I know that potato starch isn't the best for me, but it seems like it should be something simpler for a child who hasn't had so many years of being hard on his body. I have given some thought to sugar being a culprit--but it's hard to eliminate all sugar.

bartfull Rising Star

I won't buy ANY baked goods at farmer's markets. Most people who bake gluten-free foods for them also bake regular foods too. Just about any baked goods from farmer's markets are contaminated, unless they are made by a person who lives in a gluten-free household.

nicolebeth Apprentice

I won't buy ANY baked goods at farmer's markets. Most people who bake gluten-free foods for them also bake regular foods too. Just about any baked goods from farmer's markets are contaminated, unless they are made by a person who lives in a gluten-free household.

I think that's a good rule of thumb. Previously, we have worried less about cross-contamination with him (he doesn't seem to have issues after having gluten-free pizza from regular restaurants, for instance--that's also why it's hard to pin this on dairy). Every product that the woman had with her was gluten-free; it was my understanding that her products were all gluten-free. But, that is definitely something to find out for next time. 

cyclinglady Grand Master

I'm allergic to several foods like nuts and dairy, so almond milk is out for me.  I recently tried coconut milk and it made me sick.   I have no problems with soy or corn though.

Try keeping a food journal and do some research on a four to seven day food rotational program.  It worked for me (calmed down my responses/inflammation) years ago when I went through allergy testing.   

nicolebeth Apprentice

I'm allergic to several foods like nuts and dairy, so almond milk is out for me.  I recently tried coconut milk and it made me sick.   I have no problems with soy or corn though.

Try keeping a food journal and do some research on a four to seven day food rotational program.  It worked for me (calmed down my responses/inflammation) years ago when I went through allergy testing.   

Thank you; I will try keeping a food journal for him. (We do it before he sees the nutritionist, but apparently don't do a good job since she thinks he eats nothing! In this case, getting portions wrong shouldn't be a problem, though--I can see that knowing what he's having should help us.)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

emsimms Apprentice

Hello!

Any other thoughts?

Thank you so much!

OMG, I thought you are describing OUR 8-year-old, crazy!

His story sounds quite similar, according to a blood test for delayed food allergies he is intolerant to Gluten and wheat and a lot of other foods (egg, sesame, likely a lot of other grains, nuts, soy, tomatoes ...). The worst reaction is to Gluten and sulfites, though, and he has had intense abdominal pain (mostly burning below the stomach area) for the past year. He missed a lot of school because of it and became withdrawn and almost depressed. For a few months we had taken out all grains (except sorghum), soy, and nuts and things have improved. However, we still had way too many bad days, and recent recommendations by another naturopath (after testing) was to eliminate all dairy, food additives, processed sugars and tomatoes. The dairy was tough at first as he drinks a lot milk and I use butter in his baking, so we almost didn't want to do it. Now he has stopped drinking milk but is allowed yogurt and butter and it has made a huge difference. (He is also on probiotics and an enzyme supplement.) We have now had over 2 pain-free weeks which is the best in a year. So to make  long story short: It might be worth a try for you to eliminate dairy for a while, and the good news is it might not be all dairy, but only milk and cheese for example that causes problems.

Good luck to you, it is so tough to see your child suffer.

frieze Community Regular

I would check with the school, just because child denies a problem, doesn't mean one doesn't exist. good luck

nicolebeth Apprentice

I would check with the school, just because child denies a problem, doesn't mean one doesn't exist. good luck

I will check with the teachers today. What was odd is that he enthusiastically (for him) did his HW the previous evening. Usually, this happens on a Monday...as if he just needs an extra day to recover from the weekend? (I'm not sure how that will play as he gets older.)

emsimms Apprentice

Hello!

Any other thoughts?

Thank you so much!

Oh, and another thing we have in common: Our son has been on PEG (same as Miralax I think) for months now, prescribed by his family doctor. He was so severely back-logged (constipated) that apparently it takes many months for it all to go back into its normal shape. I completely share your frustration in short-term measures by medical doctors, though, all MDs we have seen only treated the symptoms (with the most invasive brutal procedures and pain meds) instead of even thinking about (or even being open to) food intolerances. So far naturopaths were the only ones that got us closer to the core of the problem.

nicolebeth Apprentice

Oh, and another thing we have in common: Our son has been on PEG (same as Miralax I think) for months now, prescribed by his family doctor. He was so severely back-logged (constipated) that apparently it takes many months for it all to go back into its normal shape. I completely share your frustration in short-term measures by medical doctors, though, all MDs we have seen only treated the symptoms (with the most invasive brutal procedures and pain meds) instead of even thinking about (or even being open to) food intolerances. So far naturopaths were the only ones that got us closer to the core of the problem.

Thank you, I just saw this and your other reply! I'm sorry that your 8yo has been going through so much! I hope that, with time away from the offending foods, things improve even more for your son.

We like our son's GI in that he acknowledges the existence of NCGI. On the other hand, we think our son actually has celiac (confirmed celiac and autoimmune issues are in the extended family), but the doc doesn't believe it because of (incomplete) biopsies in 2010 (and, at this point, we don't want to re-gluten him for new biopsies where he feels so much better without it, and is back to the 5th percentile in growth). Anyway. I think that seeing a naturopath would be a good idea, though he is relatively open to trying things out if they are going to help (he knows that I've done that for myself, and believes me). Perhaps I will talk to him about a dairy-free trial again after school today. He seemed willing to have a trial without it, when I floated the idea yesterday. What is more difficult is when he goes to other people's houses. Yogurt and cheese sticks of course simplify matters when he can't have crackers or whatever else. I suppose I can send him with snacks for the time period that we try this.

I agree with the processed sugars, too. Our 8yo still wets the bed a few days a week (wait: I think it's been a whole week, perhaps longer!) The commonalities seem to be: going to bed too late (so that we can't walk him to pee before we go to sleep), and eating something high in sugar in the evening. He's also a different person when he eats sugar, but that's a different story. I think because he's so small, and doesn't load up on regular food as much, he's more affected by sugar. (He also knows this, and even though we don't give him much, he does eat less.)

Thank you again for writing in--I'm sorry to hear about other people having issues, but it helps to hear from people who have been there and are going through it!

emsimms Apprentice

Thank you, I just saw this and your other reply! I'm sorry that your 8yo has been going through so much! I hope that, with time away from the offending foods, things improve even more for your son.

We like our son's GI in that he acknowledges the existence of NCGI. On the other hand, we think our son actually has celiac (confirmed celiac and autoimmune issues are in the extended family), but the doc doesn't believe it because of (incomplete) biopsies in 2010 (and, at this point, we don't want to re-gluten him for new biopsies where he feels so much better without it, and is back to the 5th percentile in growth). Anyway. I think that seeing a naturopath would be a good idea, though he is relatively open to trying things out if they are going to help (he knows that I've done that for myself, and believes me). Perhaps I will talk to him about a dairy-free trial again after school today. He seemed willing to have a trial without it, when I floated the idea yesterday. What is more difficult is when he goes to other people's houses. Yogurt and cheese sticks of course simplify matters when he can't have crackers or whatever else. I suppose I can send him with snacks for the time period that we try this.

I agree with the processed sugars, too. Our 8yo still wets the bed a few days a week (wait: I think it's been a whole week, perhaps longer!) The commonalities seem to be: going to bed too late (so that we can't walk him to pee before we go to sleep), and eating something high in sugar in the evening. He's also a different person when he eats sugar, but that's a different story. I think because he's so small, and doesn't load up on regular food as much, he's more affected by sugar. (He also knows this, and even though we don't give him much, he does eat less.)

Thank you again for writing in--I'm sorry to hear about other people having issues, but it helps to hear from people who have been there and are going through it!

Thank you for sharing!

I agree, it is sad to hear that so many children are suffering, but it also helps to share stories and information.

Our son is also very skinny and has always been a picky eater so I gave in to much more junk food than I wanted to. (Same story: Not filling up on real food, asking for sweet snacks...) He used to eat a lot of refined sugar, now I am using (a reduced amount of) honey in baking and as long as he doesn't know, he is "OK " with it. :) He is still having quite a bit of cane sugar in various foods, although our naturopath would like to avoid even that, but at least it's much less than he used to have.

Interestingly, we used to have occasional bedwetting problems as well but it seemed to stop once we found out about food allergies and eliminated a lot of problem foods.

I hope that you will soon be able to get a solid diagnosis for your son, so that you can start dealing with his issues better.

Thanks again for sharing & all the best!

Archived