2 replies to this topic

#1 Major Dops

Major Dops

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:56 AM

Anyone tried any of the OTC aids for temporary relief when you just have to have a non-celiac safe food?  We follow a strict celiac safe diet but occasionally my spouse wants the "real thing".

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,245 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:04 AM

I was just at the International Celiac Disease Symposium and can tell you that they would answer this question "NO!"  The doctors that are working on  a pill that can break down gluten very quickly, before it leaves the stomach, tested the OTC and mail order products and found that they do not work at all or only work a very slight bit.  They also say that their pill is not meant for cheating.  It is meant for when you must eat away from home during travel, order gluten free, but it isn't as gluten-free as you thought.

These doctors and some of the other presenters were firm that a Celiac should not cheat on their diet.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#3 Major Dops

Major Dops

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:22 AM

Anyone tried any of the OTC aids for temporary relief when you just have to have a non-celiac safe food?  We follow a strict celiac safe diet but occasionally my spouse wants the "real thing".

Thank you for your response. It is definitely important information to have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: