This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

What 20 Ppm Means In Our Lives

kareng

kareng Grand Master

An easy explanation of how 20ppm works in our lives.

Please remember:

Some gluten-free food manufacturers currently use more sensitive testing (10ppm or 5 ppm).  I doubt they will change that to 20 ppm just because of this new law. And :Just because something tests at less than 20 ppm or 10 ppm, that does not mean it has 19 ppm or 9 ppm. It could reasonably have 2 ppm or 0.

To put it in perspective, you would have to eat about 18 slices of gluten-free bread in one day to reach the daily 10 mg level of gluten consumption,” says Cureton

Open Original Shared Link

I do not intend this to be a big discussion about how sensitive you are or an argument about the validity of this standard.  If you have valid research into this you want to argue, start a topic about this.  I only wanted to help explain the new standard in an easy to understand way for the majority of Celiacs.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

If I ate 18 slices of gluten-free bread in one day, not only would I reach the daily ten mg. level, but I would also reach 300 pounds and bankruptcy! :lol:

(But I have to admit, Canyon Bakehouse bread is so good that could be a real temptation.)

kareng Grand Master

If I ate 18 slices of gluten-free bread in one day, not only would I reach the daily ten mg. level, but I would also reach 300 pounds and bankruptcy! :lol:

(But I have to admit, Canyon Bakehouse bread is so good that could be a real temptation.)

And Canyon tests at less than 5 ppm so.... Maybe 72 pieces of bread?  :blink:

notme Experienced

you had me at "per millionB) MILLION!

right, barty, that is a heck of alot of bread - and i do eat many sandwiches - but not 9 per day..........

thanx, karen  :)

notme Experienced

that would take all day and half of tomorrow.  who has time for that? 

kareng Grand Master

that would take all day and half of tomorrow.  who has time for that? 

at 15 slices per loaf and $6 a loaf  = $28 a day for bread!  I guess if you ate 72 pieces of bread, you wouldn't be able to eat any more food....so you might save some money that way?  But don't come on here and complain about the D or C you got from eating all that bread!  :ph34r:

notme Experienced

at 15 slices per loaf and $6 a loaf  = $28 a day for bread!

lolz - getting glutened is for rich people!  ^_^ good thing i'm poor :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

I admit, when I first found Canyon Bakehouse, I went through a loaf every two days! It was my "consolation snack", and not only did I eat the bread, but it was absolutely dripping with butter. I ate four slices for breakfast, then had a couple more for an afternoon snack, then I'd have another slice or two in the evening. When I could no longer fit into my "fat jeans", and when I stopped to realize how much money I was spending, I put a stop to it.

Now I buy a loaf maybe once a month. When it's gone, I just do without bread until I feel like buying more. I mostly just eat whole foods, but once in a while as a treat I do bread, or maybe ice cream. I even have a package of Udi's double chocolate muffins that has been sitting UNTOUCHED in my freezer for over a week! Adapting to a gluten-free diet has taught me that I DO have willpower! :)

IrishHeart Veteran

But don't come on here and complain about the D or C you got from eating all that bread!  :ph34r:

OR that you split your pants and have to wear sweats now.

Great explanation for the Newbies, K. And a refresher course for the rest of us.

Thanks for sharing all the great info from the ICDS.  Got any more? :)

GF Lover Rising Star

I even have a package of Udi's double chocolate muffins that has been sitting UNTOUCHED in my freezer for over a week!

(Sneaks behind Barty and grabs the double chocolate muffins and stuffs them in her mouth.)

Gemini Experienced

Man....that is A LOT of french toast!   ;)

IrishHeart Veteran

Man....that is A LOT of french toast!   ;)

even on my best day, I couldn't eat that much French toast. and I :wub:  French toast :lol:

Gemini Experienced

As long as we are doing the Canyon Bakehouse 12 step program,  I usually keep 5 loaves of it in the freezer....and I usually eat 2 slices per day.  The glutton in the household is my husband...who LOVES this bread.  We go through about 2 loaves per week and most of it isn't me.  However, if my supply gets down to a mere 1 loaf, I have to admit to a little panic....especially if it's wintah and snow is comin'!   :o

IrishHeart Veteran

I have no snow to worry about anymore, and I admit to having 2 loaves of bread, 1 pizza crust and 2 packages of wraps in my freezer.

AT ALL TIMES! :lol:

hey, you never know when something may happen? better safe than sorry? what? I'm a NOO Englandah by birth...we are always

"minute men"--loaded and ready. Right, Gem???

Gemini Experienced

You know what happens when it snows...the bread aisle empties out so it's doubly hard for Celiacs......our bread isn't available everywhere so you have to be prepared.  I'm not getting stuck in a blizzard without Canyon Bakehouse!   ;)

frieze Community Regular

You know what happens when it snows...the bread aisle empties out so it's doubly hard for Celiacs......our bread isn't available everywhere so you have to be prepared.  I'm not getting stuck in a blizzard without Canyon Bakehouse!   ;)

ayup, bread, toilet tissue and milk.....lol

Gemini Experienced

ayup, bread, toilet tissue and milk.....lol

I don't drink milk so make that red wine!   ;)

Archived