6 replies to this topic

#1 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:13 AM

I was wondering why every one said to get new pots and pans when going Gluten Free. before I was DX'd we went out and bought 2 new sets paid a good price 300.00 for each set. Then not long after that was DX'd with Celiac. Everyone saying get new pots and pans for gluten-free. 1st we cannot afford a new set. I thought about getting one or two cheaper pans but really don't have the room. SO I scrubbed them as good as can be!! Well now I just read a thread that said if you use Teflon or Cast iron get new.. All my pots and pans are Stainless steel ... I scrubb the hebegees out of them !! I don't use the same pot for Gluten noodles as I do for gluten-free.  But anyway ... I have not had a problem what so ever... Does it make a difference if they are Stainless steel compared to teflon? 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:24 AM

I was wondering why every one said to get new pots and pans when going Gluten Free. before I was DX'd we went out and bought 2 new sets paid a good price 300.00 for each set. Then not long after that was DX'd with Celiac. Everyone saying get new pots and pans for gluten-free. 1st we cannot afford a new set. I thought about getting one or two cheaper pans but really don't have the room. SO I scrubbed them as good as can be!! Well now I just read a thread that said if you use Teflon or Cast iron get new.. All my pots and pans are Stainless steel ... I scrubb the hebegees out of them !! I don't use the same pot for Gluten noodles as I do for gluten-free.  But anyway ... I have not had a problem what so ever... Does it make a difference if they are Stainless steel compared to teflon? 

Stainless steel are easy to clean and deal with. The teflon is an issue because it can get scratches in it that can make it difficult to clean.

#3 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,145 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:29 AM

We replace cooking tools that we can not be certain have no gluten in the cracks and crevices.  If you can clean them well, they are fine.  A colander would be hard to clean out every little hole.  A pan, like cast iron, that has cracks or pores, would be hard to clean.  Just use a little common sense - if its cleanable -it should be fine.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:47 PM

I read on about.com (author Jane Anderson) and old threads here on this forum that cast iron is fine.  You do need to run it through the cleaning cycle of your oven and then re-season it.  I haven't had any problems.  I did toss out all teflon though and treated myself to a few new pans.  I kept all my old stainless and just scrubbed it well.  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:52 PM

Ok well I was thinking (In my head) <-- (can be scary lol) That what the heck! Stainless steel will not absorb any thing , why on earth would I have to buy new? So ok they are Stainless Steel and I keep them very clean!! A friend of mine asks me. How do you keep your pots and pans so clean? My answere is .. I scrub them ... She said Ohh heck no!! I am not doing that! Even my really old pots bake ware and stuff is spotless ... I am a stickler for that...

I bought a new colander and the spoons and such are stainless steel .. Again they are spotless , I re fired my Cast iron skillets , hubbs thinks he gets too much iron from them so he doesn't use them. So I have nice Cast iron Skillets and I have Stainless steel cookware .. That I keep pristine .... TY :) for your answers :) I feel better now ... 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#6 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:50 AM

Always like to see a light bulb go off.  Makes the rest of us seem less crazy :lol:

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

hairy-spider-smiley-emoticon.gif

#7 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:24 AM

Always like to see a light bulb go off.  Makes the rest of us seem less crazy :lol:

Ahhha aaahha ahahahahah 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: