This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Trying To Start A Group

mbrookes

mbrookes Community Regular

There is no support group within reasonable driving distance, so I thought I would try to start a group. I have heard from a few people who are interested. Is there a regional of National group that I need to contact, or are we just on our own? Right now, the plan is to just get together to meet each other and discuss what we would want from a support group. I seem to be heading this up, so I would welcome any advise (or warnings) that I can use.

This group will be in Jackson, MS, so if you are in the area and are interested, please contact me.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

This is a link for the KC group. Looks like they are part of a larger organization - Celiac Sprue Assoc.

Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link

Adalaide Mentor

The local group in my area is part of GIG. Open Original Shared Link

While a lot of groups are probably a part of larger organizations, it doesn't mean a group has to be. If you get information from national organizations and find out more about what it would mean to have a support group tied to one of them you can decide if you would want to be involved with something like that. There could be financial obligations, rules on what you can and can't do, and paperwork and administrative tasks that someone would have to take on. That is stuff you would want to know ahead of time before getting yourself in over your head. You could also discuss the different organizations you could be part of with your group and decide amongst yourselves if you want to be part of one of them or just on your own.

cyclinglady Grand Master

I'd try to find a national organization.  I belonged for years to a mother's group which was national.  At least we had access to liability waivers, etc. which is critical if you meet at someone's home.   On the other hand, we started a school foundation from scratch and it was difficult setting up everything for the first time (bi-laws, banks, taxes, etc.)  I wish you the best of luck!

Archived