This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Searching For Fellow Celiac Roommate -- Where To Post?

Philia

Philia Newbie

Is there an appropriate place to post information in a roommate search?  I am a pretty sensitive celiac (react easily/often, with DH...ah, good times), so I cannot live with "normal folks" and it's really hard to conduct a roommate search when "strictly gluten-free" is a requirement!  I have a new house that's been kept gluten-free since I moved in, and there's more space (+2,000sf) than I can use, so I figured I'd see if I could find a celiac roommate.  It'd be great if I could post here somewhere, or if anyone knows of any good place(s) to post.  (Places with high celiac visibility, that is...craigslist etc have been totally nonproductive.)  Thanks!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Hi Philia,

I have moved your topic to the celiac meeting room section of the forum, where hopefully, your request will get more responses.

Best wishes to you,

IH

kareng Grand Master

Do you have  local Celiac or GIG support group?  Maybe you could look for roommates there?

bartfull Rising Star

I understand wanting to keep internet privacy, but if you post what state you live in, maybe folks here who live in that state can send you PM's to find out if you're in their area.

Philia Newbie

Thanks for moving my topic to an appropriate meeting room, IrishHeart!

Do you have  local Celiac or GIG support group?  Maybe you could look for roommates there?

I have tried contacting groups that are purported to either have local branches or be in the process of developing local branches, with no success.  I also tried posting in the forums of the most nearby gluten-free meet-up that I could find (not all that close, and its forms seem pretty rarely visited).  I'm still digging, and posting flyers at local cafe, stories specializing in gluten-free foods, etc., but thought I'd check to see if there was anywhere else that could reach fellow celiacs in my area.  Maybe I'm just more sensitive to gluten in the home than others, or maybe others just have had better luck than I in finding roommate(s) willing to keep common areas totally gluten-free, but when I started looking for places to post, I was genuinely surprised that there aren't really any local or national places (that I've found) for celiacs roommate postings!  I'll keep checking for local groups, and I'd really appreciate any other suggestions as well!

bartful -- good point.  I was intending my original post to be answered in terms of where I could post, I didn't think of it in terms as a direct advert.  My general location is in Northern California, Bay Area -- Sacramento -- Tahoe.

Edited by Philia
kareng Grand Master

In the bay area you should be able to find support groups, lots of "health conscious places" to post.  If you live anywhere near a university, maybe you could put something on their internet roommate board.  I have heard Sac has some gluten-free resources.  Tahoe is health conscious, so you might be able to find someone eating gluten-free, Celiac or not.  I think it might be harder in smaller areas like Placerville - but people like to live there and commute into Sac.  At least they did when I lived there.

I know someone in the Sac area with Celiac.  If that is where you are looking for a roommate - pm (personal message) me and I'll ask her if they have an active group. 

When you are new - pm ability is limited.  You may only be able to pm a moderator.  So if you need a go-between, you can pm me and I can pm the person or if a newbie sees this and wants to contact you, they can contact me......  agh!  you get the idea.

• 4 years later...
Rosecolianni Newbie

Hi,

Looking for a roommate who has allergies/food allergies or Celiac Disease like me. In the Chicago area.

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 8 months later...
globaljim Newbie

Looking for roommate in the NYC area who has celiac disease like me.  Moving in late July 2019.  Thanks