This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

U.c., Candidiasis, Gluten Intolerence?

darkangel

darkangel Rookie

I'm confused. I suffered with IBS and TMJ for several years before I was "upgraded" to a dx of ulcerative colitis. After changing my diet, taking probiotics and other supplements, I achieved remission for a couple of blissful years. Got complacent and let my diet slip. Symptoms have slowly come back and are getting steadily worse.

I feel there's definitely a candida component, maybe food allergies - although nothing showed up on the expensive Elisa test. Now, I'm looking into a possible gluten and/or casein intolerance. I'm amazed with my years of struggling and working my way through six different GIs that no one ever tested me for gluten intolerance.

I'm seeing a doctor now who worked with and was personal friends with Dr. Crook and specializes in candida-related issues. He put my on Nystatin and it's made me even sicker. I'm in the bathroom constantly and am rapidly losing weight.

Because of the weight loss and because I weight train, I've been taking a whey protein isolate drink three or four times a day. It finally dawned on me yesterday if I have a casein sensitivity, this could really be making things worse. For the moment, I've stopped taking it and the Nystatin, trying to get some relief.

What's odd to me is when I was in remission, I could consume a lot of "forbidden" foods, seemingly with no ill effects. Now, everything seems to make me sick. Has anyone else had these off and on types of reactions?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

darkangel Rookie

Hello? Is there anybody out there?

nettiebeads Apprentice
I'm confused. I suffered with IBS and TMJ for several years before I was "upgraded" to a dx of ulcerative colitis. After changing my diet, taking probiotics and other supplements, I achieved remission for a couple of blissful years. Got complacent and let my diet slip. Symptoms have slowly come back and are getting steadily worse.

I feel there's definitely a candida component, maybe food allergies - although nothing showed up on the expensive Elisa test. Now, I'm looking into a possible gluten and/or casein intolerance. I'm amazed with my years of struggling and working my way through six different GIs that no one ever tested me for gluten intolerance.

I'm seeing a doctor now who worked with and was personal friends with Dr. Crook and specializes in candida-related issues. He put my on Nystatin and it's made me even sicker. I'm in the bathroom constantly and am rapidly losing weight.

Because of the weight loss and because I weight train, I've been taking a whey protein isolate drink three or four times a day. It finally dawned on me yesterday if I have a casein sensitivity, this could really be making things worse. For the moment, I've stopped taking it and the Nystatin, trying to get some relief.

What's odd to me is when I was in remission, I could consume a lot of "forbidden" foods, seemingly with no ill effects. Now, everything seems to make me sick. Has anyone else had these off and on types of reactions?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have you tried the gluten-free diet? I have found that my reactions to gluten have changed over the years. Not so much D lately, but still the fatigue and fog. Allergies and autoimmune disorders are tricky things, and as your body changes (age) your body's reactions can differ. And just because you could consume "forbidden" foods w/o ill effects doesn't mean damage was being done.

I wish you luck in getting better.

darkangel Rookie
And just because you could consume "forbidden" foods w/o ill effects doesn't mean damage was  being done.

Good point.

Actually, when my troubles first began, my first GI mentioned celiac disease and told me to try a "wheat-free" diet for a week. Of course, no one told me I couldn't eat oatmeal, etc. So, I tried it, didn't feel any better, and that was the end of that.

Now, I suspect gluten intolerance AND possibly a casein intolerance. It just seems strange that out of six GIs I've seen, no one has tested me or given me enough information to truly understand that this might be my problem.

nettiebeads Apprentice

It just seems strange that out of six GIs I've seen, no one has tested me or given me enough information to truly understand that this might be my problem.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unfortunately after reading a lot of posts, it's not strange, but almost the norm, for celiac not to be mentioned regarding gi problems.

darkangel Rookie

Is there an average amount of time one must be gluten-free before symptoms start to abate? Not only was I not warned about oatmeal and hidden sources of gluten, I suspect a week is not long enough to be on a gluten-free trial diet.

nettiebeads Apprentice
Is there an average amount of time one must be gluten-free before symptoms start to abate? Not only was I not warned about oatmeal and hidden sources of gluten, I suspect a week is not long enough to be on a gluten-free trial diet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No average, it's very individualistic. Three weeks seems to be the minimum, but only if 100% gluten-free. Three to six months is more normal. Remember, your innards are damaged and the healing time depends on how much damage and how long you have been sick before the gluten-free diet. And on your own physiology - if you are normally a fast or slow or medium healer. Just don't lose the faith.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived