5 replies to this topic

#1 bcanela

bcanela

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:00 PM

Has anyone else wondered if they are prone to corneal ulcers due to the autoimmune response to gluten? I try to stay on a gluten-free diet but am having crazy symptoms still when I eat certain foods. I literally have had a few ulcers in the past from contacts but since going gluten-free, I get them every couple weeks. I've tried four brands of the most breathable contacts and nothing helps? Could this be because I'm getting cross contaminated somewhere in my diet?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,242 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:39 PM

I can't believe your eye doc is letting you wear any contacts if you are getting ulcers that often! You need to go to an actual eye MD! Maybe get tested for Sjorgen's,too. That is an autoimmune disorder often found with Celiac, that gives you dry eyes as one of the symptoms. I have very dry eyes and use the best daily dry eye contacts and you are still supposed to use wetting drops with them. Do you?

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#3 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:21 PM

Karen's right.  You need to see an ophthalmologist, ASAP.  Perhaps, some punctal plugs will help with dryness if other possible problems are ruled out.  In the meantime wear your glasses!

Here's a dumb question.....how old is your contact cleaning solution/case?  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:02 PM

I can't believe your eye doc is letting you wear any contacts if you are getting ulcers that often! You need to go to an actual eye MD! Maybe get tested for Sjorgen's,too. That is an autoimmune disorder often found with Celiac, that gives you dry eyes as one of the symptoms. I have very dry eyes and use the best daily dry eye contacts and you are still supposed to use wetting drops with them. Do you?

I second this advice!  You need to be tested for Sjogren's because ulcers can happen from extreme dry eye.  I have Sjogren's but have never worn contacts and do everything possible to avoid eye irritation so never developed ulcers.  Ditch the contacts if this is happening and go back to wearing glasses.  Glasses are fashionable now!  Make sure you see an ophthalmologist for these problems.

#5 bcanela

bcanela

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:32 PM

Turns out I'm allergic to the plastic composition in some contacts. Bizarre. Anyways, one I did a three week trial and error with 8-10 different brands, I found one that's perfect. So crazy.

#6 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:05 PM

Wow! When I posted earlier,  I remembered that one of my co-workers (not a bright one) had contact issues and the problem was her old and long-expired cleaning solution.  When I saw your posting today, I recalled trying some new contacts and I couldn't keep them in my eyes for more than a hour or so.  My doc told me these particular new silicone based contacts were supposed to be super comfortable, but not for me.   I joked that maybe women should be required to try the silicone based contacts prior to breast implants! :lol:

I'm glad you were able to resolve your contact issues.  I'd hate to give up my contacts!  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: