This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Needing Help In Rehab

gilligan

gilligan Enthusiast

Hello!  I desperately need help.  The short of it is I broke my leg, had surgery, and must stay in a rehab facility for a few weeks.  My husband did quite a search trying to find one that could meet my dietary needs - gluten/lactose intolerance.  I am at the best available, but it's not going well.  We met with the chef and he assured me I would be safe.  Several mistakes have been made which they gladly fixed.  This weekend was awful - I was given Lactaid and cheese for breakfast (realized after I ate part of it) and my meals mostly consist of a chicken breast and fruit.  Tonight I had french fries and a dry salad.  I've lost so much weight that it's getting scary.  Yesterday I had the Big D (sorry! TMI ) 9 times.  I need at least 600 calories a meal to help me gain weight.  I'm subbing with Boost (totally gross!), peanut butter, rice cakes, raisins, nuts, etc.  My husband is bringing me extra meals as he can.  What are some suggestions for items to keep in my room that contain protein?  I know I'm being glutened as hard as I'm trying to avoid it.  I was just diagnosed with celiac in Aug. and all is fine at home minus the weight loss.  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Can your hub or the kitchen make hard boiled eggs. You could keep them in a little cooler. I think you can even buy them in the egg section at some groceries. Nuts, nut butters, etc. there are shelf stable pepperonis, beef jerky and salamis that are gluten-free.

A lawyer that deals in malpractice might also be helpful. Someone to put the fear of God into them?

w8in4dave Community Regular

OHH my goodness!! Poor you!! yea I'd be keeping like above some jerky, some fresh fruit! Some nuts maby some dried fruit.. All that will add calories. gluten-free fruit juices ... You can do it!! My goodness! Talk to every chef!! They have got to do it right!! Tell them to cook you a baked potato in the micro!! What the heck is wrong with them? You really cannot be the only one gluten-free there can you? Well ughh I guess you can :( but really they are supposed to accommodate every diet!! I'd be talking to someone thats for sure!! 

LauraTX Rising Star

If there is a patient advocate type of person, try to get in contact with them.  The facility has an obligation to meet your basic needs in the form of a balanced diet free of your allergen.  French fries and a plain salad are not a proper meal, and if that is what they are offering there is a problem and they need to consult with a dietitian that is familiar with celiac disease, at the least.  Don't be afraid to speak up to someone above who you are already speaking with.

cyclinglady Grand Master

Cans of good salmon, sardines, good tuna.  Go Picnic gluten-free meals are yummy!  Soy or coconut yogurt, fruit, cold veggies, cereal.

Hotels bring in microwaves and frigs, can't the hospital?  If not, a big ice chest (they have ice!!!)   I'm sure they have a dietitian on staff and you need to meet with them to discuss your diet but to see if they have cross contamination procedures in place.  Let's face it.  Most of the food prep is done by teens or unskilled workers (I was one of them when I was in high school).  If that's the case, you'll need to have your hubby bring in all your food.  

But, I like Karen's suggestion.....an attorney!

• 2 weeks later...
gilligan Enthusiast

Thanks to those who responded to my plea for help. Meals continued to worsen until a dietician was called in.  By worsen, I mean I was given whatever they were serving minus foods containing gluten/dairy.  That usually consisted of a chicken patty and carrot/celery sticks.   I was given Lactaid milk bc it was what they serve, and I was sick for 36 hrs. That's when an RN called in a dietician. I was just served a meal when the dietician walked in - a scrambled egg and fruit cocktail.  She was livid!  They replied with, "Well, she doesn't order much other than soymilk and hot water".  She told them it's because I'm scared to eat here, and I have my own tea bags and cereal to survive.  She's been here several times since, and yesterday she inservice the ENTIRE staff at each shift change.  She told them she wanted 600 calories on my plate at each meal.  She brought samples, explained the seriousness of celiac (she said they were shocked), took them through the kitchen explaining cross-contamination, and left them with a wealth of info to read including where to shop for me, acceptable/non-acceptable foods.  I complained about getting rice pasta twice/day because they discovered it was gluten free.  She nixed that by asking them to look at my tray and decide if that's what they would want twice a day!!  She is a powerhouse!  

This story has a happy ending so far.  Meals are improving, and I gained a pound this week.  So, I am up to 89 lbs. with 14 more to go.  I have a drawer full of nuts, peanut butter, apples, cereal, protein shakes (I can't get those Boost drinks down - I've tried!), raisins, and tuna.  I'm eating 6 meals per day.  My husband brings me bone broth, ham * beans, beef stew, and chili daily.  I feel like all I do is eat, eat, eat!

Adalaide Mentor

Wow! She really whipped them into shape. If only all dietitians were so up to speed on celiac we would live in a much better world.

I'm sure what you need to be doing is eat, eat eating so keep at it. Sounds like you're finally on the right track and will be getting in ship shape in no time.  :) And now your husband can stop spending so much time stressing out about you and more time simply caring. I'm sure it's all a load off his mind also. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Wow!  You are so lucky you found a dietician that even knew what Celiac is.  There are so many bad ones out there.  They get no training in school about it.

bartfull Rising Star

Tell that dietician she needs to write a book or paper that needs to be required reading for every health care facility in the country!

notme Experienced

(I can't get those Boost drinks down - I've tried!)

me too, either - they are like a laxative to my body.  terrible.  if you aren't already, try some probiotics.  really helped me and i seem to be holding stready with my weight.  i would like to add another 10 lbs, so, working on that.   great to hear you had such a powerful advocate to fix your meal issues!!  people don't understand how important it is for us to EAT.  jerks.  <_<

(lolz - when i read the title to this thread i said  'no, no, no' but it's not the amy winehouse rehab ^_^

gilligan Enthusiast

me too, either - they are like a laxative to my body.  terrible.  if you aren't already, try some probiotics.  really helped me and i seem to be holding stready with my weight.  i would like to add another 10 lbs, so, working on that.   great to hear you had such a powerful advocate to fix your meal issues!!  people don't understand how important it is for us to EAT.  jerks.  <_<

(lolz - when i read the title to this thread i said  'no, no, no' but it's not the amy winehouse rehab ^_^

That's hilarious!  Thanks for the belly laugh!  I hope you gain that 10 lbs.  Good luck to you!  I have 14 lbs. to go, and I'll be at normal weight again.  At 5'1" and 88 lbs. I was really getting scared, and had no energy at all for rehab - physical rehab that is!  LOL!!

Gemini Experienced

.....Got to get back to rehab but I said No, No, No!!!!!!!  Love that Amy, Arlene!  ;)

Gemini Experienced

That's hilarious!  Thanks for the belly laugh!  I hope you gain that 10 lbs.  Good luck to you!  I have 14 lbs. to go, and I'll be at normal weight again.  At 5'1" and 88 lbs. I was really getting scared, and had no energy at all for rehab - physical rehab that is!  LOL!!

It does take a while to gain the weight back so don't panic. I am 5' 4" tall and was down to 94 lbs and now weight in at 110.  I really don't want to gain much more because I am sick and tired of replacing clothes....most everyhting I owned had to go to Goodwill and I can't afford to keep doing that!  It was 6 months before I gained anything noticeable, though, so hang in there!  Hope you feel better soon.  :)

Archived