arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Coffee, Protein Shakes And Trail Mix Are gluten-free But Having A Really Bad Reaction!

coffee protein shakes meal replacement trailmix

• Please log in to reply

3 replies to this topic

#1 bcanela

bcanela

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:08 PM

So it seems no matter what gluten-free brands I try I still get that awful bloated want to die feeling from coffee, trail mix and protein shakes/meal replacements. Anyone having the same issues? I get really busy at work and need to find snacks and some sort of drinkable meal to get me through without a reaction. I've tried the gluten-free slim fast, ensure, designer whey, special k....all the same effect. It also happens with my coffee even though my creamer is gluten free. Trail mix is a weird one for me because I can eat dried fruits fine, so maybe the plant the nuts are processed in? I'm really beginning to despise eating...it's just a never ending battle just to feel normal! help please :(

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:55 PM

Coffee can be harsh on someone who is healing.

I have no knowledge of protien shakes.

As for trail mix, i have seen that sometimes nuts have a warning on them (proccessed on the same lines as wheat statement).

#3 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:20 PM

If you are newly gluten free you could simply still be adjusting and be in that stage where you are bloating for seemingly no reason no matter what you eat. You may also have additional intolerances such as dairy, nuts or soy. My first thought though if you are newly diagnosed is that you are possibly having a problem with dairy, as some people have a (sometimes temporary) lactose intolerance. This would be a problem with the coffee creamer, the protein shakes and possibly even the trail mix depending on what's in it.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#4 bcanela

bcanela

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:06 AM

So I cut dairy and found EAS carb control protein shakes that are gluten and dairy free! So far so good. I gave up on trail mix and also switched from coffee to tea. A world of difference!! Thanks for the help :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: