#1 SarahJimMarcy

SarahJimMarcy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:24 PM

Hi everyone!

I went gluten free two years ago following a diagnosis of celiac.

The past six weeks, though, I have had pain and spasming in the upper abdominal area. I also have nausea. I have had the "flu" twice in September, once needing IV fluids.

I have had an x-ray, bone scan and CT - all normal findings. Blood counts are also normal.

Any ideas? My internist is suggesting an upper endoscopy.

I appreciate any suggestions. I know the vast amount of knowledge held within this forum!

Thank you!

Daughter diagnosed with celiac via endoscopy, April, 2011.
Mom, Dad and daughter all go gluten free.
We live in the Twin Cities, MN.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:32 PM

Hi everyone!

I went gluten free two years ago following a diagnosis of celiac.

The past six weeks, though, I have had pain and spasming in the upper abdominal area. I also have nausea. I have had the "flu" twice in September, once needing IV fluids.

I have had an x-ray, bone scan and CT - all normal findings. Blood counts are also normal.

Any ideas? My internist is suggesting an upper endoscopy.

I appreciate any suggestions. I know the vast amount of knowledge held within this forum!

Thank you!

Hernia?

#3 SarahJimMarcy

SarahJimMarcy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:04 AM

I've got a partial answer, figured out by my chiropractor. I had a rib out of place. One treatment made a difference. If anyone in the Twin Cities needs a good chiropractor, who is gluten-free by the way, see Dr. Berg at http://www.essencechiropractic.net

Now, it is the nausea to figure out. I think I need to give up dairy and sugar. But Dr. Berg also suggested I be tested for Lyme.

I think having gone undiagnosed for so many years makes me immediately jump to the conclusion that it's more GI problems. Never occurred to me that it would be skeletal!

#4 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:12 PM

You said the pain is in your upper left side of your abdomen, any pain on the right side?  That is where your gallbladder is, I have gallbladder polyps and they cause pain and nausea like the dickens when they decide to act up after I eat certain foods.  The pain is mostly in the upper right quadrant, but I get phantom pains in the upper left and lower right quadrant as well, and it will also cause crushing chest pains.  If your doctor is him-hawwing about what to do with you, maybe ask to get an abdominal ultrasound before they send you off for the more invasive and expensive endoscopy.  I also agree that seeing a chiropractor or D.O. (osteopathic doctor) for an adjustment check up may help as well, sometimes pain radiates to weird places.

Also, I had a CT done right before my ultrasound, and it did not detect the gallbladder polyps, only the US did.  Weird right?

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 Weeber47

Weeber47

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:23 PM

After I started having sharp pain, chest pain, and generally discomfort on my upper right side I had to have my gall bladder removed in May of this year. I agree that an ultrasound first to see what's going on underneath is a better idea than starting with the endoscopy. They are painful and very uncomfortable when results could be found with an ultrasound.

Diagnosed with Celiacs January 2013

Gallbladder Removed May 2013

#6 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:02 PM

After I started having sharp pain, chest pain, and generally discomfort on my upper right side I had to have my gall bladder removed in May of this year. I agree that an ultrasound first to see what's going on underneath is a better idea than starting with the endoscopy. They are painful and very uncomfortable when results could be found with an ultrasound.

An ultrasound showed that my gallbladder was "normal", as did the blood tests. A HIDA scan showed it was working at 5%.

#7 Weeber47

Weeber47

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:11 PM

An ultrasound showed that my gallbladder was "normal", as did the blood tests. A HIDA scan showed it was working at 5%.

Did they do an ultrasound of the affected area?

Diagnosed with Celiacs January 2013

Gallbladder Removed May 2013

#8 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:53 PM

Did they do an ultrasound of the affected area?

Yes they did. Nothing was found and it looked "normal".

#9 SarahJimMarcy

SarahJimMarcy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:00 PM

More answers, though partial. Shadowicewolf: You were right: it is a hiatal hernia.

I had my gall bladder out 16 years ago, so it can't be that. But I would like to have an ultrasound on the left side to see if anything's inflamed.Throwing up bile seems like more than a hernia? The endoscopy was not fun - glad that's over!

I am going to try Lactaid this week and see if that helps with the nausea. Also taking Prilosec. I'd rather do things naturally, but I don't want to feel bad any longer. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: