Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Baking Health Without Gluten, Yeast And Eggs, Any Tips?

• Please log in to reply

5 replies to this topic

#1 Mum in Norway

Mum in Norway

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:27 AM

The naturally glutenfree baking is realy not a problem for me at all. But then i found i am (hopefully temporarily) intolerant to eggs, and that messes with everything. That is my main ingredient in most things that i bake, like breads, rolls, cakes, muffins, pancakes, cookies and everyhting else. I also prefer to make everything healthy (also cakes, cookies etc), I don't use sugar but erythritol and stevia, I make most things with not alot of carbs and stay away from most prossesed foods. I am not on a strikt lowcarb diet, though, and do allow some things like eggsubstitute, healthy glutenfree flour mixes occasionally and so on.

I also suspect I have issues with yeast, so I am staying away from that for a few weeks to see what happens.

Any tips, advise or recipes?

When I get sad, I stop beeing sad and be awesome insted.

True story.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:19 AM

Try looking for some vegan cookbooks.  (You probably can find gluten free vegan cookbooks.)

It will help to figure out a lot of egg substitutions.  There should also be an egg replacer product available.  You can use baby food/ fruit puree, gelatin, vinegar and baking soda and many other things as egg replacers, but you need to adapt to what the egg is being used for in the reciipe.  Moisture ~ baby food. holding the mixture together~ gelatin.  Adding an airy light texture ~ the vinegar and baking soda chemical reaction.

Michigan

#3 Rucko

Rucko

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:28 AM

Ground flax works really well as an egg replacer.  There's a good recipe here:

http://www.care2.com...substitute.html

#4 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:47 AM

Look for recipes that only have 1 or 2 eggs to replace.  3 or more eggs in a recipe start using different replacers for the eggs.

Michigan

#5 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:59 AM

I've heard that carbonated water (or sprite or club soda) can help make baked goods raise.

#6 magda.dietitian

magda.dietitian

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:05 AM

It is also possible to use potato starch, corn flour, cooked rice or buckweat or some milk/coconut milk/rice milk. It depends of the recipe, proportions of other ingredients and of course desirable taste:)

Usually, one egg - one or two spoons of replacer.

I personal use all of these products, but as I said - according to needs and not all at once. For muffins or cakes you could also try some carob.

Magdalena Kopala Msc, dietitian.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: