This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Microwave Popcorn - Yea Or Nay?

tonalynn

tonalynn Explorer

Hi all!

I'm on day 10 of my new gluten-free lifestyle (except for last Saturday night, my goodbye to gluten meal!) and I'm doing ok, after restocking my pantry with all gluten-free foods and ingredients. I didn't throw out my microwave popcorn though, I checked a few gluten-free websites and they all said the brands I have are gluten-free.

The last two nights I have had some intestinal distress (gas, bloating, a bit uncomfortable) and the only thing I can point to is microwave popcorn. One was Act II fat free butter, the other was PopSecret kettle corn. I could not find anything that said they had any gluten, but of course I only have the individual bags, having thrown out the boxes a long time ago.

Anyone here have experience with microwave popcorn after going gluten-free? Found any brands you like, or have to stay away from? I'm considering buying an air popper, but honestly, my kitchen is so small and I have nowhere to keep it. The microwave bags are much easier, but if I can't have them anymore, then I'll figure something out.

What's your experience been?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Popcorn is hard to digest. Maybe take a few days off from it and see if you feel better?

Adalaide Mentor

I find that if I eat an entire large bag of popcorn I have trouble. Instead I buy those mini bags and get the Orville Rededbacher's. I either get the Naturals or Gourmet Naturals, at the time I called them (which was admittedly some time ago) they told me these were gluten free. They have exciting (to me) flavors like garlic butter and sea salt or my absolute favorite, lime and salt. Personally I buy the types I do for two reasons. One is to avoid soy which is a personal problem for me but most celiacs don't need to avoid. Second is because the flavors are just so much fun.

This early in being gluten free, keep in mind that you may feel like you're having weird reactions to all sorts of things and it may just take time for everything to straighten out. If you do think that every time you eat X or Y you feel funky, do start to keep a food diary. But healing takes time and you won't feel super awesome and 100% right away.

Gratz on your new journey to health. With any luck you'll be right as rain in no time and back to your old self.

bartfull Rising Star

I have yet to find a microwave popcorn that wasn't full of chemicals. Even before gluten-free and corn-free, I would never eat the stuff. It's just as easy to buy a jar or bag of Orville's or Jollytime and make it the old fashioned way. You can make as much or as little as you want that way too. :)

cyclinglady Grand Master

Making it the old-fashioned way is way better!  Everyone loves the taste of our popcorn!  It's cheaper too.  No need for an air popper.  Just pop it on the stove with a little bit of oil.  Keep it moving and shake it.  Like the microwave popcorn, you have to listen to for the popping to slow down.  

Auntie-Manda Apprentice

I can have Act II microwave popcorn without issue. I've actually never come across popcorn that had gluten. If you are having a problem with popcorn ,it's probably not that it has gluten in it.

• 3 weeks later...
Waitingindreams Enthusiast

I actually just recently have had PopSecret kettlecorn, and I didn't have a bad reaction to it. It is gluten free, according to the company. Maybe you are reacting to something else? Smartfood popcorn is also gluten free...but as the others said, if you are having reactions it's probably best to try popping it yourself. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Pegleg84 Collaborator

too much popcorn can be hard on your system no matter what, and if you're just starting the gluten-free diet, it's going to be extra fussy for a while. Best to take it easy with things like popcorn (much easier said than done, I know)

That said, while most microwave popcorn is gluten-free, it's full of other not good stuff. If you like to eat popcorn frequently, then on the stove is the best. I got myself a "whirley pop" (I'm sure there's other brands out there) which is a pot with a specially designed lid and a handle that cranks around and stirs the popcorn while it pops. throw in some oil and popcorn and turn. Easiest thing in the world! Then you can put whatever you want on it. Or just do it old school with a pot and metal lid.

(Great, now I really want popcorn...)

NoGlutenCooties Contributor

I get Paul Newman's "Newman's Own" - natural popcorn.  It comes in individual bags as well as 100 calorie size smaller bags.  It doesn't have the usual laundry list of artificial chemical crap in it.  This is from the label:

Newman's Own Microwave Popcorn, Palm Oil, Salt, Soybean Oil, Natural Flavors, Vitamin E (For Freshness)

Contains: Milk

I just add my own melted butter and a little salt.

Open Original Shared Link

That said, I agree with what others have said - popcorn is hard to digest.

skullgrl Rookie

My grandma would always pop popcorn on the stove for me when I was little so that's what I've gone back to. When I'm too lazy to do that or want something like movie popcorn (movie popcorn used to be one of my fav. things, glad I can still have it!) to take to a movie with me I buy Popcorn Indiana. Their stuff is so ridiculously tasty. The aged white cheddar one tastes exactly like smart food. Like everyone said, its hard to digest and you've just started the gluten-free diet.

Pegleg84 Collaborator

Popcorn Indiana is ridiculously addictive. I got my stovetop popper just to avoid buying it so much! So that's another alternative to microwave bags.

Adalaide Mentor

Popcorn Indiana is the brand I always grab for a trip to the theater if I want popcorn. It is so indescribably good, better than theater popcorn imo.

LauraB0927 Apprentice

Popcorn Indiana is fantastic and I've also really begun to like the Skinny Pop (in the bag) - all natural with a bit of salt for flavor - so good!!!  I never usually have a problem with popcorn..

Pegleg84 Collaborator

The big problem with popcorn is that every time I have some, it turns into eating a whole bag/pot of it at once.... Mmm popcorn hangover...

Archived