7 replies to this topic

#1 thompson94

thompson94

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:42 PM

Hi! First time posting here. Anyways, I need some help! I want to make some garlic knots tonight. I have Hodgson Mills pizza crust mix, and in my past experiences the dough has been EXTREMELY sticky and hard to work with. I'm wondering if anyone else has used this brand, if so, how have you made it work in a not so sticky manner? I have tried using water on my hands, adding cornstarch, etc. Those didn't really go over too well. Thanks!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 02:02 PM

When I roll a sticky dough, I put sown a piece of plastic wrap and then a piece on top. I roll it on a big cutting mat or cookie sheet. . Then I peel the top layer off and use the cutting mat to flip it onto my pizza pan. I'm not sure how that would work for your garlic knots?

Are they like this? http://abc.go.com/sh...s-Clinton-Kelly

I made these with the pillsbury gluten-free pizza dough and they were nice and chewy and not a bit sticky.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#3 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:04 PM

Garlic knots you roll out like a snake, so using the plastic wrap method is quite effective for it. After that though you cut long pieces and actually tie them once into a knot. Then when you put them on the baking sheet you brush them with a garlic butter (or some such). A local pizza joint here makes them and I used to stop in all the time and grab a few for a buck and they'd make the perfect snack. (Please excuse me while I go make a sadface because of all the things I miss, I miss nothing so much a this New York style pizzeria.)

I think if you do the plastic wrap method with your dough you can get your dough into a snake. After that, if you are super gentle and careful you may be able to get it into knots. Personally though it may be more trouble than it is worth and you may just end up throwing your hands up and doing garlic dots. When I make donuts I don't do the whole making them into round things with a hole in the middle nonsense, that would take forever. I just do donut holes because they're quick and easy and so amazing I could die of happiness.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#4 LauraTX

LauraTX

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:43 PM

I would use a test blob of dough on plastic wrap before you put all of it in there and can't get it off without losing half of it.  I also say do garlic blobs... maybe you can put down a blob and then use a sharp knife to make a swirly on the top so they don't look too bad.   Would still be just as delicious :)  I haven't tried that brand crust mix, so I am not sure how it handles. 

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:24 PM

If the dough is super sticky (like the donut dough I use) you just have to spray the plastic wrap with cooking spray or olive oil before you roll the dough in it.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#6 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:16 PM

I would use a test blob of dough on plastic wrap before you put all of it in there and can't get it off without losing half of it.  I also say do garlic blobs... maybe you can put down a blob and then use a sharp knife to make a swirly on the top so they don't look too bad.   Would still be just as delicious :)  I haven't tried that brand crust mix, so I am not sure how it handles.

That's what I thought. Maybe she could do blobs

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#7 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:03 AM

I would go with the blobs if it were me.  Gluten free dough does tend to be sticky and soft and doesn't have the same sort of texture as gluten dough does.

I have made gluten free soft pretzels.  They bear no resemblence to wheat pretzels.  I used some sort of mix to make them and am not sure that the stuff is still being made.  So not sure what went into them.  Daughter was not impressed so never made them again.  I don't recall having a lot of trouble forming them into a pretzel shape but it was several years ago so I may well have had a problem and don't remember.  Have also make gluten free bagels.  Again no resemblence to wheat bagels and again daughter was not impressed.  And they were a PITA because I had to boil them in sugar water. 

But...  Perhaps if you tried a recipe for pretzels or bagels (minus the boiling), you could get something that takes better to handling.  Not sure if the end result would give you the texture you want though.

What I wound up doing for pizza was making foccacia dough.  It gave the best texture for us.  Or at least one that daughter would eat.  But I should say that daughter isn't a pizza lover.  I actually mostly made it for dessert pizza with a cinnamon and sugar topping.  But...  That sort of dough is very soft and can't be rolled.  You have to carefully pat it out with oiled fingers.  I would bake it in a rectangle then cut it in strips.  Or squares if pizza.  So...  I would probably make that sort of thing, top it with the garlic butter (or whatever you put on the knots) then cut it in strips.

#8 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:30 AM

That sounds really good, Julie.  Honestly, any baked bread product with added garlic and oil, is gonna be darn tasty :)

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: