Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

3 Year Old Acts "drunk" For Hours: Symptom?

• Please log in to reply

29 replies to this topic

#1 D-borealis

D-borealis

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:01 PM

My daughter has been gluten-free for almost 4 months. For the most part her previous symptoms of clinginess, refusal to eat, frequent crying, etc. have resolved. There has been alot of trial and error as far as learning which foods are REALLY gluten free and which just say they are :unsure:  but we are getting better and better at eliminating all sources from her diet. Her health is improving more and more. However, a new "symptom" has popped up in the last week that we didn't experience before. She has started to appear and act "drunk" or heavily drugged for long stretches of time throughout the day. She isn't in a bad mood per se, but just acts very loopy and uncoordinated, and even slurs her words. She also plays in a much more destructive and haphazard way during these times, and her speech is not only slurred but doesn't make sense. In her normal state, it is possible to have a mostly reasonable conversation with her (for her age) and her sentences mean something. During this "drunken" state, she will say things that make no sense, and repeat them over and over, sometimes just talking to herself.  The drunken state seems to switch both on and off quite suddenly, however once it has started it typically lasts for at least a few hours. Then suddenly it will be done, and she will be back to her regular self. 

She hasn't been sleeping well at all and I wonder if it is possible that she is just so exhausted at times and this is causing her to be slap-happy. But part of me wonders if I am STILL missing some gluten somewhere (we have been SO scrupulous, it seems impossible!)  or if this is a symptom of something else altogether. 

Any insight?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:14 PM

Have you talked to her doctor about this? While it could be a symptom, it could be something else.

#3 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:43 PM

I would video it. Sometimes when you go to drs. symptoms are not there. Def. go to Dr. With this!!

I did get Glutened once and I felt later in the day like I was drunk! I started going for a walk and noticed I couldn't walk straight! I came back inside the house and promptly went to the restroom and puked my guts out!! It was horrid!!! I was very tired the next few days!! Then it was gone!! I was over it ... I have not gone thru that again. Hopefully never will! 

I hope you find the answer 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#4 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:43 PM

I would certainly be concerned about slurred speech and would make an appointment with her pediatrician about that immediately.

As for saying things that don't make sense at all, repeating those things over and over and talking to herself? Sounds like normal 3 year old behavior to me. By itself it isn't a reason for concern. My kids frequently didn't make any sense to me, talked to themselves and were freakishly obsessed with repetition as most kids are.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#5 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:50 PM

GET HER TO A DOCTOR!

there is a chance it's from gluten but the chances are better that it is something really serious!

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#6 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:49 AM

I agree on taking her to the Dr.  I have read of some rare cases where a person's stomach produces its own alcohol, making the person drunk.  I can't remember what this is called and I don't know if it applies here.  It could be a stroke or some kind of seizure.  I wouldn't wait!  Also agree on videotaping it if it is something that might not present at the Drs. office.

#7 mommy2krj

mommy2krj

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:37 AM

Yep, I would call and get an appointment with the doctor ASAP. 3 year olds acting weird isn't unusual. 3 year olds slurring their words is unusual and cause for alarm. Especially if accompanied by decreased motor skills. That would definitely freak me out.

Was this a symptom when she was getting glutened before? Or has it just started? Lack of sleep can definitely do weird things to your body and dealing with gluten issues can do weird things too. But slurred speech is an automatic trip to the doctor the same day for my kids.

I would call and talk to the nurse and see what they have to say.  Hugs mama! Please keep us updated on this. I hope it's just a little bit of gluten sneaking in somewhere and you can figure it out and get rid of it.

#8 africanqueen99

africanqueen99

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:28 PM

Are you seeing the "drunk" symptoms appearing at the same time or around the same activity (before nap/after nap, needing food, needing to poop, etc)?  Three year olds are like wild animals - so hard to understand!  The only symptom that you're describing that seems enough for a phone call (for my personal taste) is the slurred speech.  If that's truly new to her then I'd call the Ped and get to the bottom of it.

Angela

Undiagnosed, but I'm positive that I'm the genetic link to celiac for my kids.  Gluten Free in solidarity of my girls!

Kid 1 (8 y/o girl) - DX celiac via blood in 9/2013 (age 7.5).  Negative biopsy in 10/2013.

Kid 2 (4 y/o boy) - DX as "latent celiac" via blood in 9/2013 (age 3.5).  Negative biopsy in 10/2013.  DX with gastritis.

Kid 3 (2 y/o girl) - DX celiac via blood in 8/2013 (age 1.5) and 9/2013. 

#9 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:11 PM

I am thinking seizures,....good luck.

#10 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:57 PM

I am thinking seizures,....good luck.

I think that ran through a lot of our heads, which is why we all said to make an appt. right away. None of us wanted to be speculative and alarmist for no reason though. It still could absolutely be symptoms of a glutening, which a doctor can do nothing for. But at that age there is no reason to take chances with a child's health when they show such an alarming neurological symptom.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#11 D-borealis

D-borealis

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:53 PM

I brought her in to our doctor a few days after it started happening and he didn't seem too concerned. He suggested hypo-glycemia related or due to exhaustion. After reading everyone's comments I feel like I ought to get a second opinion however.  It does seem to always be worse in the morning, and then again it comes back before bedtime. Will keep everyone updated as I find out more.

#12 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:59 PM

I brought her in to our doctor a few days after it started happening and he didn't seem too concerned. He suggested hypo-glycemia related or due to exhaustion. After reading everyone's comments I feel like I ought to get a second opinion however.  It does seem to always be worse in the morning, and then again it comes back before bedtime. Will keep everyone updated as I find out more.

IF he thinks its hypo- glycemia, what does he say to do about it? That sounds like a lot more than a mild response.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#13 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:22 PM

F he thinks its hypo- glycemia, what does he say to do about it? That sounds like a lot more than a mild response.

No kidding! That's pretty extreme for a hypoglycemic response. Did he recommend testing her during one of these phases to check for it? Hypoglycemia in a child that young would require medical monitoring and treatment for episodes, as well as lifestyle changes to prevent episodes. If your doctor is shrugging it off he's a moron and should be fired.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#14 mommy2krj

mommy2krj

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:19 PM

See...I was thinking something along the lines of blood sugar or seizures as well. I don't think I'd be comfortable with my doctor brushing that off, even if it is a symptom of ingesting gluten....I would want it investigated fully, just in case.

I've always heard that slurred speech, in anyone who isn't drinking alcohol, is a cause for concern. Always. I would get a second opinion.

#15 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:44 PM

F he thinks its hypo- glycemia, what does he say to do about it? That sounds like a lot more than a mild response.

Indeed!  And if he really did think it was that...  Why did he not prescribe a meter and strips so that the blood sugar could be tested?  It's not like it was when I was a kid.  We had no meters and we were diagnosed by symptoms alone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: