2 replies to this topic

#1 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:21 AM

I went to the Dr. A week or so ago and he did blood work, one blood test was for Liver enzymes evidently. He put me on Terbinafine Tablets for my toenails coming off. Then we went on Vacation! Ughhh I for got my pills! Ohh well it was too late , came home and get a call from the Dr, That my liver enzymes are up, quit taking the Terbinafine , 

What does my liver enzymes have to do with Celiac? He did the blood work before I started taking the pills so the pills were not the reason. I understand why he wants me to stop taking the pills. But what does liver enzymes have to do with Celiac? 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 nutritionguy

nutritionguy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:44 AM

I went to the Dr. A week or so ago and he did blood work, one blood test was for Liver enzymes evidently. He put me on Terbinafine Tablets for my toenails coming off. Then we went on Vacation! Ughhh I for got my pills! Ohh well it was too late , came home and get a call from the Dr, That my liver enzymes are up, quit taking the Terbinafine , 

What does my liver enzymes have to do with Celiac? He did the blood work before I started taking the pills so the pills were not the reason. I understand why he wants me to stop taking the pills. But what does liver enzymes have to do with Celiac? 

If you look up the drug Terbinafine, you will see that one of the possible side effects is liver injury--so if your liver enzymes are elevated before you even start taking the drug, that might put you at greater risk for liver injury.  Don't worry, however, about having taken the drug for such a short period of time.  As for your elevated "liver enzymes", they might really reflect what is going on with you celiac condition and your gastrointestinal tract rather than what is going on with your liver since these tests can sometimes be elevated with diseases not involving the liver.  Depending on what your liver enzyme test results were, your doctor may want to do some further testing to determine why they are elevated.

#3 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:53 AM

TY for your quick response! Just kinda scared me there!! I was reading up on it I hope this is a reputable source.

http://www.livestron...fect-the-liver/

I read this in there

Effects

Up to 42 percent of people newly diagnosed with celiac disease have raised liver enzymes, according to research published in 1995 in the medical journal "Hepatology." However, the study found that the liver enzyme test results normalized once the patients had followed strict gluten-free diets for one year, indicating that any damage to their livers due to their gluten ingestion had reversed itself. Another study, published in 2011 in the "American Journal of Gastroenterology," reported a much lower percentage of newly diagnosed celiacs with elevated liver enzymes -- 11 percent. However, that study also found that a gluten-free diet tends to lower elevated liver enzymes in people with celiac.

Read more: http://www.livestron.../#ixzz2ho3xB4WP

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: