• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 moosemalibu

moosemalibu

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:18 AM

I personally have noticed that when eating gluten I get numerous urinary tract infections. I had a ridiculous number of UTI's this year and I never had them before (literally have never had a UTI before this year). Now that I am 10 days into my gluten challenge I have yet another one. Does anyone else get this symptom from gluten? Does anyone know why this happens, any scientific explanation?

Miserable bladder and GI over here. :(

Jamie

"We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone." Ronald Reagan

• Diagnosed Celiac via blood test 8-22-13
  • Dairy & gluten free in 8-22-13 then did gluten challenge in October
  • Endoscopy/Biopsy Oct-26-13 positive for Celiac
  • HLA-DQ2 positive
  • Vitamin D insufficiency 12-6-13 (had it prior no doubt, just wasn't checked until December)
  • Dairy Added back in successfully 3-1-14
  • Normal Antibody Levels 3-19-14! 

Supplements: Fish Oil, Digestive enzymes, probiotics, biotin, multivitamin, joint supplement, psyllium husk

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 BelleVie

BelleVie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:43 PM

Yes, when I was in college studying abroad in France, I had one that lasted about three months off and on, but I was so out of touch with my body, I had no idea what it was, just that it HURT. 

I think that sugar intake has a lot to do with it. Sugar creates an acidic environment in your body, and that helps the bacteria that cause UTIs and yeast infections to multiply. 

It's probably difficult to avoid sugar on a gluten challenge, but maybe try keeping away as much as you can. Something else that helps me when I feel one coming on (yeast or UTI) is to put one tablespoon of raw apple cider vinegar (like Braggs) in a cup of hot water, and mix in a tablespoon of raw honey and a little cinnamon. Drink that twice a day, cut down on the sugar, and I hope that will help you!   :)

#3 BelleVie

BelleVie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:45 PM

And yes, honey is sugar, but I think that raw honey is supposed to have antibacterial properties. That's what I've read anyway. :) 

#4 moosemalibu

moosemalibu

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:25 PM

Yes, when I was in college studying abroad in France, I had one that lasted about three months off and on, but I was so out of touch with my body, I had no idea what it was, just that it HURT. 

I think that sugar intake has a lot to do with it. Sugar creates an acidic environment in your body, and that helps the bacteria that cause UTIs and yeast infections to multiply. 

It's probably difficult to avoid sugar on a gluten challenge, but maybe try keeping away as much as you can. Something else that helps me when I feel one coming on (yeast or UTI) is to put one tablespoon of raw apple cider vinegar (like Braggs) in a cup of hot water, and mix in a tablespoon of raw honey and a little cinnamon. Drink that twice a day, cut down on the sugar, and I hope that will help you!   :)

Thanks for the information... I definitely have upped my sugar intake on this gluten challenge. I will attempt to cut back. I've been going kinda crazy with eating whatever because I know once I have my endoscopy I'll be gluten-free again and eating meat, veggies and fruit til my GI heals again. I'll be avoiding processed gluten-free foods.

Jamie

"We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone." Ronald Reagan

• Diagnosed Celiac via blood test 8-22-13
  • Dairy & gluten free in 8-22-13 then did gluten challenge in October
  • Endoscopy/Biopsy Oct-26-13 positive for Celiac
  • HLA-DQ2 positive
  • Vitamin D insufficiency 12-6-13 (had it prior no doubt, just wasn't checked until December)
  • Dairy Added back in successfully 3-1-14
  • Normal Antibody Levels 3-19-14! 

Supplements: Fish Oil, Digestive enzymes, probiotics, biotin, multivitamin, joint supplement, psyllium husk

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 BelleVie

BelleVie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:26 PM

It's kind of a catch 22 isn't it? On the one hand, you are free to eat lots of yummy things that you've been missing, but on the other hand, those things are making you sick. But you have to eat them for the challenge. :( I know that during my challenge I had a LOT of fun the first week, but then I got really sick and felt not so great the rest of the time. 

Hang in there! You're almost finished! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: