5 replies to this topic

#1 Aly1

Aly1

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:17 PM

It's been quite a while since I posted here, but I'm back due to a new problem that I need help getting rid of.

Background: I am very gluten intolerant and never had gastro issues of any kind. I'm usually pretty solid in that area. I started juicing at the beginning of the year and was feeling so good on it. So good that I ignored the mild heartburn I'd get from time to time associated with it. Recently however I developed major heartburn problems - stabbing pains in the center of my chest, burning, bloated feeling, sore rib cage by my stomach - which seemed to be related to strawberries (I was having smoothies several times a week with them). I stopped juicing since I knew that was a small problem before, and quit the strawberries too, and did a 14 day course of OTC drugs (opremazole or something like that?). It resolved about 3 weeks ago and I stayed away from juicing and strawberries. I still felt mild issues here and there but seemed ok.

It's back now. Big time. I had a couple of smoothies a few days apart, and bam, I'm back at square 1. I don't see how just 2 smoothies can render me in this condition ~:0/. It seems that so many things are setting it off now (it's been days since I had any strawberries but I'm still having major issues), I just don't even want to eat.

Some questions for the experienced: 

1) I really want to get back to juicing - is this something that often causes gastro issues? I make sure to "chew" my juices before swallowing so I know the right enzymes are getting in there. 

2) Can 2 strawberry smoothies do this, or do you think I have other hidden food issues? I've been a food sensitivity *queen* since going gluten-free...

3) Would appreciate a good course of action. I'm desperate here - I feel like I can't bear to restrict my diet any further. I'm usually gluten, corn, grain, dairy, and sugar free and have dropped down to 97 lbs as a result. I recently gave up on the grain and dairy (despite the reaction I get from the latter) because I am desperate to just eat. :(

I'll be grateful for any advice I can get on how to get better. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:11 PM

It's been quite a while since I posted here, but I'm back due to a new problem that I need help getting rid of.

Background: I am very gluten intolerant and never had gastro issues of any kind. I'm usually pretty solid in that area. I started juicing at the beginning of the year and was feeling so good on it. So good that I ignored the mild heartburn I'd get from time to time associated with it. Recently however I developed major heartburn problems - stabbing pains in the center of my chest, burning, bloated feeling, sore rib cage by my stomach - which seemed to be related to strawberries (I was having smoothies several times a week with them). I stopped juicing since I knew that was a small problem before, and quit the strawberries too, and did a 14 day course of OTC drugs (opremazole or something like that?). It resolved about 3 weeks ago and I stayed away from juicing and strawberries. I still felt mild issues here and there but seemed ok.

It's back now. Big time. I had a couple of smoothies a few days apart, and bam, I'm back at square 1. I don't see how just 2 smoothies can render me in this condition ~:0/. It seems that so many things are setting it off now (it's been days since I had any strawberries but I'm still having major issues), I just don't even want to eat.

Some questions for the experienced: 

1) I really want to get back to juicing - is this something that often causes gastro issues? I make sure to "chew" my juices before swallowing so I know the right enzymes are getting in there. 

2) Can 2 strawberry smoothies do this, or do you think I have other hidden food issues? I've been a food sensitivity *queen* since going gluten-free...

3) Would appreciate a good course of action. I'm desperate here - I feel like I can't bear to restrict my diet any further. I'm usually gluten, corn, grain, dairy, and sugar free and have dropped down to 97 lbs as a result. I recently gave up on the grain and dairy (despite the reaction I get from the latter) because I am desperate to just eat. :(

I'll be grateful for any advice I can get on how to get better. Thanks!

Strawberrys are acidic. If you have GERD, it can cause flare ups. I can get away with a little bit (such as in a jelly), but i don't dare do a full smoothie.

#3 Aly1

Aly1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:17 PM

So sad, I love my strawberry smoothies. How long do flare-ups last?

#4 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:27 PM

So sad, I love my strawberry smoothies. How long do flare-ups last?

For me, at the very least a few hours, at the most a full day or so.

It helps, I think, that i've been on a diet that excludes anything acidic, fatty/rich, chocolate, caffeine and spicy.

#5 Aly1

Aly1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:51 PM

Hmmm. That makes me wonder if I have other food issues contributing to it - I'm on day 4 now (without strawberries). But I am eating fatty things including whole-fat dairy...

#6 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:27 PM

Hmmm. That makes me wonder if I have other food issues contributing to it - I'm on day 4 now (without strawberries). But I am eating fatty things including whole-fat dairy...

I can do milk and cheese, but i cannot do butter. This maybe due to the fact i no longer have a gallbladder though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: